PIREP Ovation Instruction

V1VRV2

I needed 3 hrs to meet insurance minimums in my new to me 2002 Ovation 2. I hired Will Wobbe to get that accomplished. He’s based out of IAD area. Will is a fantastic instructor extremely knowledgeable in all things Ovation. He has about 325 hrs in model.

On the ground we briefly went over systems, limitations  and flight profiles. He saw I was well prepared so we went out to fly.

When we got up in the air we did some slow flight dirty and transitioned into an approach to landing stall. Emergency gear extension was accomplished as well. All went smoothly. We then returned to the airport for some pattern work. We did 3 uneventful touch n go’s.

2nd day we did some IFR flying with emphasis on familiarization with the G430W/G530W and the KFC225 autopilot. I flew an auto pilot coupled LPV, and a hand flown ILS down to minimums. Except for some unfamiliarity with the 430/530 it was pretty smooth.

3rd day was 3 more touch n go’s. .6 on the Hobbs. The T&G’s were a little more challenging on the 3rd day as winds were across the runway and were 20 g25 with some mild turbulence and wind shear but things felt like they had come together the last day. I was feeling comfortable in the plane. Total flight time was 6.1

Taking instruction from Will is easy as he’s got a pretty laid back style of teaching. He has a wealth of knowledge he loves to share. He’s a genuinely nice guy. I enjoyed my time flying with him. I don’t know why he’s not on the Mooneyflyer.com list of instructors. He deservedly should be. I found him on Facebook on the Mooney Pilot page after posting a request for an Ovation instructor. He’s certainly an asset to the Mooney community. If you want his contact info PM me.

• Like 4

Will is one of the BEST Mooney instructors in the country.  I have flown with Will and Don Kaye, both of whom are equally fantastic.  I would highly recommend Will for any Mooney training or ferry.  Will and I have flown a lot together since we first met a few years back, and I can honestly say that if you can fly with him or Don Kaye, you're flying with the two best Mooney instructors out there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey V1VRV2, hypertech, Mooney217RN, and danb

Thanks for the awesome write-ups and feedback. Obviously aviation word of mouth is extremely important so I'm super excited to see positive reviews. I checked Mooney Flyer and I do still show up in Virginia but I'm low on the list because of alphabetical order.

Hope to fly with all of you again soon!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, V1VRV2 said:

I needed 3 hrs to meet insurance minimums in my new to me 2002 Ovation 2. I hired Will Wobbe to get that accomplished. He’s based out of IAD area. Will is a fantastic instructor extremely knowledgeable in all things Ovation. He has about 325 hrs in model.

On the ground we briefly went over systems, limitations  and flight profiles. He saw I was well prepared so we went out to fly.

When we got up in the air we did some slow flight dirty and transitioned into an approach to landing stall. Emergency gear extension was accomplished as well. All went smoothly. We then returned to the airport for some pattern work. We did 3 uneventful touch n go’s.

2nd day we did some IFR flying with emphasis on familiarization with the G430W/G530W and the KFC225 autopilot. I flew an auto pilot coupled LPV, and a hand flown ILS down to minimums. Except for some unfamiliarity with the 430/530 it was pretty smooth.

3rd day was 3 more touch n go’s. .6 on the Hobbs. The T&G’s were a little more challenging on the 3rd day as winds were across the runway and were 20 g25 with some mild turbulence and wind shear but things felt like they had come together the last day. I was feeling comfortable in the plane. Total flight time was 6.1

Taking instruction from Will is easy as he’s got a pretty laid back style of teaching. He has a wealth of knowledge he loves to share. He’s a genuinely nice guy. I enjoyed my time flying with him. I don’t know why he’s not on the Mooneyflyer.com list of instructors. He deservedly should be. I found him on Facebook on the Mooney Pilot page after posting a request for an Ovation instructor. He’s certainly an asset to the Mooney community. If you want his contact info PM me.

Congratulations!  Word of mouth in this type of situation is premier.   Excellent!  Thank you for sharing.  

Happiness to you with your outstanding Ovation...... sure deserves a round of applause!! :D

• Thanks 1

See if I can get this straight....

Great pireps for Will W...

Yet dimondan says thank you....

With a long list of Mooney aircraft to his credit...  I’m starting to think Dimondan is actually Will Wobbe...  :)

Going out on a limb...

Will, if you want... you can post your contact info including your actual name... on the bottom line... it’s named the signature line...

Really easy to find if you use an iPad, or anything with a larger screen...

I’m still new here myself... :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, dimondan said:

Hey V1VRV2, hypertech, Mooney217RN, and danb

Thanks for the awesome write-ups and feedback. Obviously aviation word of mouth is extremely important so I'm super excited to see positive reviews. I checked Mooney Flyer and I do still show up in Virginia but I'm low on the list because of alphabetical order.

Hope to fly with all of you again soon!

Will, thanks for your great work taking care of Larry!

• Like 2

On 10/7/2020 at 10:10 PM, mike_elliott said:

Will, thanks for your great work taking care of Larry!

Happy to help

On 10/7/2020 at 10:05 PM, carusoam said:

See if I can get this straight....

Great pireps for Will W...

Yet dimondan says thank you....

With a long list of Mooney aircraft to his credit...  I’m starting to think Dimondan is actually Will Wobbe...  :)

Going out on a limb...

Will, if you want... you can post your contact info including your actual name... on the bottom line... it’s named the signature line...

Really easy to find if you use an iPad, or anything with a larger screen...

I’m still new here myself... :)

Best regards,

-a-

Yeah. I updated my username to reflect that.

Will

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, carusoam said:

Welcome out in the open, Will!

Glad you are more recognizable...

Holy cow that’s a lot of credits you have there!

Best regards,

-a-

I nerd out a lot on Mooney's and airplanes

• Like 1
  • Haha 1