When can I eliminate the mechanical Airspeed and Altimeter

• Oscar Avalle changed the title to When can I eliminate the mechanical Airspeed and Altimeter

A single Aspen install requires Standby Airspeed, Altimeter, and Attitude Indicator. Accordingly to the G5 STC it qualifies as standalone primary source for aircraft attitude or turn coordination information while also displaying secondary information such as airspeed, altitude.  

My interpretation would be that you still need your ASI & AL. 

1892698704_Annotation2020-10-06115405.thumb.jpg.191d2ce8448bc392ffbe6678af739e6c.jpg

36 minutes ago, rbridges said:

@gsxrpilot told me on a few occasions, but I think you can get rid of the ASI and Altimeter with the first Aspen unit (assuming it's the PFD).  

Actually the first Aspen will allow you to remove the turn coordinator, VSI, and DG. A second Aspen (MFD) allows you to remove the remainder including the ASI, AI, and Altimeter

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

Actually the first Aspen will allow you to remove the turn coordinator, VSI, and DG. A second Aspen (MFD) allows you to remove the remainder including the ASI, AI, and Altimeter

Thanks for the correction.  It seems like I would remember, but you know how it is.  :lol:

2 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

The mfd requires the external backup battery to remove the ASI and altimeter. The Max pfd/mfd with battery backup is required to remove the AI. 

Another option is an esi500 which will work with a pfd or pfd Max to be able to remove the backup instruments. Until a month ago the Sandia 340 could also be field approved to replace the backup instruments...now it has demoted to paperweight status.  

• Like 3

It's interesting, I think I have about 15 hours now with the dual G5's. I find that for altitude and vertical speed I look at the G5. For airspeed I still tend to look at the ASI, I think it is a combination of habit and also it is easy after all my time in the plane to know at a glance what my speed is by where the needle is positioned. I imagine over time I will probably transition more to the G5's for all of that information. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skates97 said:

It's interesting, I think I have about 15 hours now with the dual G5's. I find that for altitude and vertical speed I look at the G5. For airspeed I still tend to look at the ASI, I think it is a combination of habit and also it is easy after all my time in the plane to know at a glance what my speed is by where the needle is positioned. I imagine over time I will probably transition more to the G5's for all of that information. 

I've got about 40 hrs on my dual G5's, and I'm still looking at my ASI and ATL, but now more of part of a scan I guess. Takes awhile to get used to I guess. Still like them.

• Like 1

@Oscar Avalle Here is the link to the E5 installation manual:

https://aspenavionics.com/images/resources/900-00041-001_E_EFD1000_E5_Dual_EFI_Installation_Manual.pdf

I'm also looking at adding an Aspen E5 and getting rid of the vacuum instruments. My reading of the installation manual is that it is allowed under certain conditions. Here is a drawing from the installation manual to explain it, as I read it, if your installation is done according to certain guidelines, you can delete both the AI and the DG and replace them with the E5. The condition is to keep the Airspeed, Turn coordinator, Altimeter and the whiskey compass.

Am I reading this wrong?

E5.Req.Inst.pdf

On 10/12/2020 at 9:21 PM, Skates97 said:

During my Commercial training I found it was too distracting to have two round dials and two tape displays. So I put some round dial covers over the ASI and Altimeter and told the DPE that the G5 would be the source of truth for all the maneuvers. It's the instrument closest to the right seat anyway.