PT-ALN (2007 Acclaim) off of Santos Dumont and over Sugar Loaf

Bentonck

Hey all, I just posted my first video...the quality is what you can get from a camera phone and I didn't put any sound on it other than ambient but it shows me taking off yesterday from a friend's perspective that was fueling his King Air on the ramp when I took off to return to São Paulo from Rio de Janeiro.  I left my plane in Santos Dumont for the weekend, which has to be one of the most beautiful airports in the world.  

Before anyone worries, I had done my runup on the ramp because it is a commercial airport and I was taking off between airbuses...and the gear went up quickly because there is a climbing turn before getting to the mountain :)

https://youtu.be/JfFc8RM2diI

Edited by Bentonck
  • Like 7

Nice footage, but have your friend hold the camera in landscape mode the next time, Humans see things horizontally, not vertically. Ever go to a movie theater where the screen was vertical? Do you mount your TV on the wall vertically or horizontally?

Sorry for sounding off, but this is one of my pet peeves in life.

Technically we should blame phone manufactures. I'm still waiting when there will be at least one smart person on the design team there that will make square (or round) sensor that will capture data irrelevant of the orientation and store ALL data even the one that can't be shown while filming due to the phone display orientation.

Way cool!

Fantastic video!

Supreme videography!

Holy cow cinematography!

To do any better, would require a friend with an IMAX camera!

One has to see the mountain in the way as the Mooney climbs past it... 

:)

Now I have to look up @SantosDumont I didn’t know he was a place in Brazil...

Thanks for sharing the great video!

Go MS International!!!

Best regards,

-a-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alberto_Santos-Dumont

Santos-Dumont was an aviation pioneer in France, but from Brazil...

20 hours ago, alexz said:

Technically we should blame phone manufactures. I'm still waiting when there will be at least one smart person on the design team there that will make square (or round) sensor that will capture data irrelevant of the orientation and store ALL data even the one that can't be shown while filming due to the phone display orientation.

I agree 100%.  They are getting better though, one day they'll get it figured out.  My new iPhone does amazing things but most of the pilots I know are carrying around 3-4 year old Samsung's

On 10/6/2020 at 5:35 PM, carusoam said:

Santos-Dumont was an aviation pioneer in France, but from Brazil...

Santos Dumont is basically the Brazilian version of the Wright brothers.  In fact if you ask any Brazilian who the first person was that achieved heavier than air flight they will say that it was Santos Dumont and  then launch into a diatribe about the US campaign to alter history. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, SantosDumont said:

Santos Dumont is basically the Brazilian version of the Wright brothers.  In fact if you ask any Brazilian who the first person was that achieved heavier than air flight they will say that it was Santos Dumont and  then launch into a diatribe about the US campaign to alter history. 

Yes, this is true, my ex-wife loves that argument.  It isn't exactly true, though.  He was able to get off the ground, possibly before the Wright Brothers, but it was straight line flight with no control...the Wright Brothers were the first to make controlled, powered flights.  

Oscar - you can fly in with no issues as a single engine, but you have to call ahead and make arrangements with Infraero beforehand...they were super nice about it and didn't create any hassels at all, in fact, quite the opposite.  After my ordeal with ANAC that was nice.  They have a dedicated e-mail and you just let them know you are coming and how long you want to stay (max 3 days) and they will reserve a spot for you on the apron and you get a follow-me when you land.  That was pretty funny...my Mooney was about the same size as the follow-me truck I was following.

• Like 2