Gates Alternator Belts

JimB

23 hours ago, Missile=Awesome said:

Prop off now. Thanks for the preventative reminder. Belt changed. :) 

So mine doesn’t have a belt. Duh says I. After Clarence posted I asked my A&P (that I said put a new belt on while prop is off). He said ok... I asked if we had a belt and he said he was messing with me. I call shenanigans :) 

• Haha 1

My M20E Lycoming belt has the Gates symbol next to the part number. This belt is loose and the alternator is adjusted to max tightness. The belt appears to be 26" on the inside circumference. Not sure if it has stretched over time or maybe the Plane Power alternator needs a different one.

Gates Belt.jpg

Sometimes...

A second alternator may be belt driven...  check to see if a second alternator got installed...  during the annual... :)

Belts get loose over time... as some stretch is normal... this is probably covered in the install procedures... for how tight the belt should be upon installation, and how tight it should be a few hours later... if re-installing the belt, no additional stretch would be expected...

New belt materials don’t stretch like the old day’s belts...

loose belts begin slipping... this can cause some voltage challenges... as it slips more, the belt starts getting warmer...

When it slips just the right amount... it gets too hot and fails...

So... if you have a noticeably loose belt... check it’s part number... something doesn’t seem quite right... otherwise a bracket may have not been replaced during the alternator installation...  (got any spare parts that came with that?) :)

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

9 hours ago, Missile=Awesome said:

So mine doesn’t have a belt. Duh says I. After Clarence posted I asked my A&P (that I said put a new belt on while prop is off). He said ok... I asked if we had a belt and he said he was messing with me. I call shenanigans :) 

Yours should have one of these to drive the alternator.  There are S/B’s covering them, they are known to slip and improper installation can lead to failure.

Clarence

133BD88F-EDF0-473D-BA71-BD306515B766.jpeg

11 hours ago, Missile=Awesome said:

My A&P’s sense of humor. This is his installation photo he sent me :) 

CDC3CCB2-A3F4-4A10-B696-00107CE2BC81.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

And just to follow up, I got a Lycoming belt and installed it last night along with this shiny propeller!! Makes my old girl look 20 years younger! 

20201008_175154.thumb.jpg.014d92ac629fb9f0a8648b2b3157aa63.jpg

Still have to finish it up and balance it this weekend but I had to share. 

• Like 3