Gates Alternator Belts

JimB

So I am in process of replacing my propeller and figured it was a good idea to replace the alternator belt while it is off. I was researching on here for recommendations and part numbers and saw a lot of references to Gates belts. After getting the part number of the belt on my aircraft (Lycoming PN 37A19773-376) I thought I could find a alternative belt. In Googling things I came across this FAA InFO and this information on the Gates website. Just thought I would share. Guess I will stick with the more expensive Lycoming belt (that is probably made by Gates anyway...:)). 

https://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviation_industry/airline_operators/airline_safety/info/all_infos/media/2015/InFO15007.pdf

http://gatesbeltsandapplications.blogspot.com/2010/01/aircraft-applications.html 

• Like 1

For the case of the Hartzell alternator(s), the STC references a belt part number.  See Note 1 of the drawings in the STC.   See page 18 for the SAL12-70 drawing.  

https://planepower.aero/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/STC-SA10682SC-AFMS-002-14-0000-PP.pdf

My M20C had a gates belt on it... it lasted forever...

Like the OP, when the prop came off, it got swapped out as a preemptive move...

Back in the day, people would hang a spare on the motor, tied back out of the way...

In the event of the belt’s failure, the spare could be brought forwards without needing the prop to be removed first...

Realistically, radiator hoses and belts last for decades in crummy hot environments... compared to similar products back in the 70s....

Scary to me, would be using an unknown quality belt to do something important... like drive a tail rotor...

For fun, take a look at the Raptor plane project... lots of horsepower, driving a heavy plane, turning the prop, with a pair of drive belts...

Some motorcycles use this technology as well...

Belt technology sure has come a long way...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

We’re taking about saving $100 while spending thousands on a new propeller.  When I have a propeller off for its 10 year overhaul a new belt or belts go on.  It costs way more to do it after the fact.

Clarence

For what it’s worth when I had my 182 I had a belt break. Luck would have it I was in a place to have it easily repaired. At the time I was flying to remote airstrips and Mexico a lot. I realized I would have been really screwed if this happen on one of those flights. For that plane and then my J when the prop was off I put an extra belt on and zip tied it out of the way. If the current belt breaks you don’t have to remove the prop and can use some simple tools. 

• Like 1

Don't some go as far as put on a second belt, just to get it past the prop when it is off, just so when the need arises, they can cut the bad belt, remove, put the spare one on and tighten?

17 minutes ago, tmo said:

Don't some go as far as put on a second belt, just to get it past the prop when it is off, just so when the need arises, they can cut the bad belt, remove, put the spare one on and tighten?

You mean as described by kmyfm20s just prior to your post?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kmyfm20s said:

For what it’s worth when I had my 182 I had a belt break. Luck would have it I was in a place to have it easily repaired. At the time I was flying to remote airstrips and Mexico a lot. I realized I would have been really screwed if this happen on one of those flights. For that plane and then my J when the prop was off I put an extra belt on and zip tied it out of the way. If the current belt breaks you don’t have to remove the prop and can use some simple tools. 

While it might get you home, by the time you need it it will be as hard and brittle as the original.

Clarence

9 hours ago, Missile=Awesome said:

Prop off now. Thanks for the preventative reminder. Belt changed. :) 

Does your Missile have a belt? Which model of Continental engine is it?

Clarence

Reinstalling a propeller on an SR22 after its 10 year overhaul.  The new Continental alternator drive belt is made by Mitsubishi off shore, the old belt was made in Mexico.

Clarence

CBD11D36-00C1-4D5B-8833-E87ED71482BB.jpeg