Cabin light control box mystery

mhrivnak

I've owned a 1990 MSE for three months. I was looking around under the panel recently and noticed this box, not connected as you can see. Searching the immediate vicinity, there was no obvious cable and connector waiting to be plugged in. Any idea what the story is on this thing?

Looking at the wiring diagram, it appears to be related to controlling overhead lights. That corroborates the text printed on the box. But what exactly does it do, and why might someone have left it disconnected?

Note that the picture is upside-down for ease of reading the text.PXL_20201002_234309084.thumb.jpg.737c81bf7ffd0e1e1f78f624c0076686.jpg

Welcome aboard, mhr!

Looks like you found the lighting control box for the dimmer hardware...

That label looks like it was built by Mooney Germany though...  :)

some updates for LED lighting, may have left the box behind..?

PP guesses only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

The service manual lists that part number as: Module, Auto Off Light. I believe some models had door switches on the baggage and cabin doors to turn on the cabin lights and I think this was to turn the lights off after some period if a door was left open. Perhaps that was an option that was never installed, or maybe it has been removed. Do you see any evidence of door switches?

Skip