Anyone pay for the synthetic vision update on their GI-275?

RobertGary1

Robert,

Any time the discussion of SV comes up....

1) It provides very little extra situational awareness that an IR pilot already has...

2) It costs a significant amount...

3) It does make the screen busier... but your eyes already know where to look for the stuff the brain needs...

4) If you are suffering from some form of cognitive difficulty, the excess back ground information can get in the way...

5) Try it out for the hour... if you hate it... that is probably enough to know you gave it your best shot...

6) With such a small screen it may be difficult to see traffic on it... while your eyes are outside looking for much bigger objects...

7) If you keep your expectations low, you won’t be disappointed...

8) I think I would have a tendency to buy it, because it may help me, somewhere along the way...

9) Back in the day... ordinary pilots were known for getting to an intersection, using Vors, and turning the wrong way...

You are not ordinary, and Vors probably don’t get used that much any more...

Go for it... it may make your SIC more comfortable... :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 3

Just my $.02 of barely past rookie advice...  ForeFlight has pretty decent SV included with their Pro Plus plans which I assume most of us IR pilots use (Pro Plus).  I've only ever really used the SV once, in bad forest fire smoke as I was half way through my instrument training and dumb/arrogant enough to think that I could handle it.  I believe the above statement to be true that it adds little SA to a proficient instrument pilot.  Having said that, I sure do like the geo-referenced plates!  :)  

I have SV on my Aspen and I've flown with it on a G1000. It's kind of cool to look at, but the only REAL value I ever found was looking at distant mountains when VFR over the Rockies and determining that I would clear them at my present altitude without having to consult the chart. When I flew floatplanes part 135 in Ketchikan some of the Beavers and all of the Otters had it. Pilots still managed to have CFIT accidents in bad weather. Personally, I can think of lots of other stuff that would be more useful to spend money on, starting with gas.

Skip

1 hour ago, PT20J said:

I have SV on my Aspen and I've flown with it on a G1000. It's kind of cool to look at, but he only REAL value I ever found was looking at distant mountains when VFR over the Rockies and determining that I would clear them at my present altitude without having to consult the chart. When I flew floatplanes part 135 in Ketchikan some of the Beavers and all of the Otters had it. Pilots still managed to have CFIT accidents in bad weather. Personally, I can think of lots of other stuff that would be more useful to spend money on, starting with gas.

Skip

I had a friend try to recruit me to fly 135 in Alaska. Then he started telling me about all the low vis scud running in the mountains. Ick.

-Robert

I flew with G1000+SV, comes handy to find runways while doing VFR joins when I am too high or too low but I do get exactly the same on my aircraft FF+SV, I think it's hard to beat the latter for price/utility

I am interested to see if it is useful to pick a spot for engine failure in night darkness or above moisture, I did not try yet with a safety pilot to see if it allows picking a decent spot and approach, not sure about obstacles bit though...

Using it to avoid CFIT in IMC in mountains, no thanks but happy to have IFR MSA printed in red big capitals on my AI 

Edited by Ibra

I have it in my Aspen.  It is a pretty cool toy but for the most part it is just an extra toy that is not used.  However, there are a few times it is very useful.  Here are my observations:

Plus - kind of like cheating on an IFR check ride as you can see the runway when flying under the hood (I turned it off for my training but had it on for the test:)).  In hard IFR, flying to minimums, it is really nice to have a picture of the runway, especially with a  crosswind.

- it is helpful to visually locate an airport.  The little flag works pretty well and improves how far out I can visually locate an airport.

Minus - busy screen.  I don't like losing the obvious horizon and moving to two dashes as a horizontal reference.

• Like 1

I'll be the contrarian and say that I really enjoy having SV.  I have it on the Aspen and really like seeing the traffic in 3D on the display.  I think that the GI275 SV will also display traffic in 3D although the presentation is smaller.  Plus, for those of us who fly near the coast, it's nice to see the coastline on the display in realtime rather than looking on FF...ok it's not a must have but it's nice to have. :)  

SV on Aspen.jpg

• Like 3