AT TBO Need overhall recommendations

DaveMC

Hello All,

I am at TBO.  just came out o annual and my compression are all 74 or better and visual inspection was great.  Top was done 500 hrs ago.  I change the Oil/filter every 35hrs and do an oil analysis every time.  Everything is running perfect and I plan on going past TBO.  I am looking for re-manufacture shop recommendations because I think a factory reman is out of my price range.  need to get an accurate assessment of hoe many pennies i need to save up.

Thanks in advance

1 hour ago, DaveMC said:

Hello All,

I am at TBO.  just came out o annual and my compression are all 74 or better and visual inspection was great.  Top was done 500 hrs ago.  I change the Oil/filter every 35hrs and do an oil analysis every time.  Everything is running perfect and I plan on going past TBO.  I am looking for re-manufacture shop recommendations because I think a factory reman is out of my price range.  need to get an accurate assessment of hoe many pennies i need to save up.

Thanks in advance

Quick thought on your oil changes - on most aircraft engines the recommended is 50 hours. I sat in a Mooney/Lycoming conference in Kerrville a number of years ago where the Lycoming rep said the TIO-540-AF1A and B engines are definitely a 25 hour oil change engine. Mooney includes that in the Maintenance Manual and Lycoming has some documentation on it as well. They mentioned that the tests that they ran on this engine with the amount of heat produced by this setup showed a large increase in wear metals when the oil changes got much past 25 hours. Also with the high fuel flow and consumption on this engine the lead contamination contributes to more sludge accumulating faster.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LANCECASPER said:

Quick thought on your oil changes - on most aircraft engines the recommended is 50 hours. I sat in a Mooney/Lycoming conference in Kerrville a number of years ago where the Lycoming rep said the TIO-540-AF1A and B engines are definitely a 25 hour oil change engine. Mooney includes that in the Maintenance Manual and Lycoming has some documentation on it as well. They mentioned that the tests that they ran on this engine with the amount of heat produced by this setup showed a large increase in wear metals when the oil changes got much past 25 hours.

Thank you!  yeas I try not to go beyond 30-35 and shoot for 25  sometimes i can do it sometimes I cant   I just got some advice to use camguard   what do you think?

2 minutes ago, DaveMC said:

Thank you!  yeas I try not to go beyond 30-35 and shoot for 25  sometimes i can do it sometimes I cant   I just got some advice to use camguard   what do you think?

I’ve used it in all three Bravos I’ve owned even though it’s not specifically recommended for turbos, I’ve been happy with it. I have steel cylinders so I want that film on there to help with corrosion.

• Like 2

I like the idea of running beyond TBO... on condition...

Good maintenance, and the ability to recognize issues before they become a challenge...

One thing to be aware of is turbo health and the health of the parts that connect the exhaust valve to the turbo...

These parts erode during use... and slowly get thinner...

There are pics of an exhaust pipe that was thin enough that the mechanic pushed a tool through the sidewall as a demonstration of his strength or the thinness of the wall...

Important stuff to know as a Bravo owner...

The pipe between the engine and turbo has the V-bands for easy recognition... it contains very high temperature and pressure exhaust gasses... if they escape, it has the blow torch affect cutting and burning whatever it impinges on...

Jewell gets a lot of good pireps... see if you can find one for your engine and turbo too...

Good luck... we’re pulling for you...  - Airplane! (?)

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

Have you considered Savvy Analysis? I used them on my TCM TSIO360MB4B engine in my M20K 231/262 and went 700 hrs past TBO. Their regular evaluation of my JPI engine monitor data, my own borescope and oil analysis was used to make sure the engine was running safe. The only reason I overhauled the engine at that point was because I incurred a towing incident with nose gear collapse and static prop strike. At teardown the engine was in really good shape according to the engine shop.

IMHO,

Jeff

• Like 5

On 10/5/2020 at 11:11 PM, carusoam said:

I like the idea of running beyond TBO... on condition...

Good maintenance, and the ability to recognize issues before they become a challenge...

One thing to be aware of is turbo health and the health of the parts that connect the exhaust valve to the turbo...

These parts erode during use... and slowly get thinner...

There are pics of an exhaust pipe that was thin enough that the mechanic pushed a tool through the sidewall as a demonstration of his strength or the thinness of the wall...

Important stuff to know as a Bravo owner...

The pipe between the engine and turbo has the V-bands for easy recognition... it contains very high temperature and pressure exhaust gasses... if they escape, it has the blow torch affect cutting and burning whatever it impinges on...

Jewell gets a lot of good pireps... see if you can find one for your engine and turbo too...

Good luck... we’re pulling for you...  - Airplane! (?)

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

I had my annual done at Sarasota.  they replace vbands and a few other items on the turbo.  They know the airplane very well. previous owner used them exclusively.  The tech that did the annual has worked on the plane for the last 10+ years so I feel really comfortable with their assessment.  I will begin using camguard and be more rigorous on oil changes every 25.  We will see how well she does.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Falcon Man said:

Have you considered Savvy Analysis? I used them on my TCM TSIO360MB4B engine in my M20K 231/262 and went 700 hrs past TBO. Their regular evaluation of my JPI engine monitor data, my own borescope and oil analysis was used to make sure the engine was running safe. The only reason I overhauled the engine at that point was because I incurred a towing incident with nose gear collapse and static prop strike. At teardown the engine was in really good shape according to the engine shop.

IMHO,

Jeff

I have and I use them a lot.  need to send another lean rich test to them after the GAMIs were serviced.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I went factory re-man. Despite many interesting options, *none* of the rebuild offers included a new exhaust system, and adding it is a 20k+ item. On the basis that the Bravo exhaust is a weak point anyway (and I've had it welded a couple of times, and previous owners had repairs too) I felt it had to be done.

I took that engine to 2200 hours, when when compression went down rapidly (exhaust valve & seat) on one cylinder. Four cylinders were original, one had been an early life warranty exchange, and I had changed one at around 1800 hours IIRC, so although I might have got some more time by replacing/repairing that cylinder, the odds were rather high that another one would go. Bonus that I wasn't expecting was that a new engine fuel pump cured the hard hot starts and very poor low speed idle/pick up in high (35C+) temperatures

• Like 3