Mooney M20T restore

Pmaxwell

We picked up the Mooney predator this weekend so we can make it fly again. Out of all of the restoration projects we’ve done this will probably be the most exciting Mooney we’ve worked on and I’m going to keep this thread updated with our progress as much as I can.  With the help of some former and current Mooney employees who have worked on it we hope to have it flying soon with maybe a few updates along the way and hopefully those who have
dreamed of fly it will get a chance.  
44420D81-17A5-4991-824D-7F24C427AED6.thumb.jpeg.67e8d60aa87847f2459d188384510c49.jpeg9A6C66C3-4B3C-491B-9D49-C7A4896BA8F3.thumb.jpeg.f82003dca75566282b5b5a884a45bd56.jpeg4C0050FE-FD7D-457B-8136-7A70237D398F.thumb.jpeg.2bc90edb28c839cd719016b439921453.jpegFC2794D2-2492-4552-A8CB-5AE7F7E62F84.thumb.jpeg.bed9aabc8db3627d6d56230203128f19.jpeg452AD981-5555-43C2-851F-C9BC230AEA77.thumb.jpeg.be7b1639f74e2469428b754693e5379a.jpegB8F47EA3-E351-4EF0-834B-F85C03DFD0DB.thumb.jpeg.7f1685409a243e2094cae5612b69a330.jpeg3FCBBE0A-6629-4AD8-8F33-AC7E12D110CC.thumb.jpeg.9b102278eab098d1d5e30459c6804fc9.jpeg

• Like 18

Paul,

Did they ever fix the aileron control problem? When Roger Hoh (contract flight test engineer specializing in handling qualities) flew it during development, he told me that at  higher speeds the ailerons drifted up putting the push-pull tubes in compression and flexing them forward against the guide blocks causing a lot of friction. Roll forces were very high and the stick would stay wherever you put it. Apparently this was one of the reasons the Air Force passed on the design.

Skip

Waaaaaay Cooool Paul!

The dream machine flys again!

When that flys...

Transition Training will be considered cool again!  :)

Where can I rent some Mooney time, will be answered with Go see Paul, and fly the Predator!(?)

Was it the M20H, or T? (I can’t remember many of the proper details) perfect for everyone that has flown everything from A-V...  

H & T, I think both vied to be an AF trainer... must have been fun days in engineering in those times...

Did I mention how cool that machine really is, and what it means to so many MSers..?

Amazing...

Today isn’t April first, is it..? 

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

Waaaaaay Cooool Paul!

The dream machine flys again!

When that flys...

Transition Training will be considered cool again!  :)

Where can I rent some Mooney time, will be answered with Go see Paul, and fly the Predator!(?)

Was it the M20H, or T? (I can’t remember many of the proper details) perfect for everyone that has flown everything from A-V...  

H & T, I think both vied to be an AF trainer... must have been fun days in engineering in those times...

Did I mention how cool that machine really is, and what it means to so many MSers..?

Amazing...

Today isn’t April first, is it..? 

Best regards,

-a-

The H model is the mid-body that Mooney R&D [Ralph and Ken Harmon days] hung a 6 cylinder on....... it never came to be :-(.

I’d have to watch Boots movie again, but I believe there’s a segment describing some sort of canopy that was hap hazardly bolted in place temporarily for the initial military visit to the factory.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PT20J said:

Paul,

Did they ever fix the aileron control problem? When Roger Hoh (contract flight test engineer specializing in handling qualities) flew it during development, he told me that at  higher speeds the ailerons drifted up putting the push-pull tubes in compression and flexing them forward against the guide blocks causing a lot of friction. Roll forces were very high and the stick would stay wherever you put it. Apparently this was one of the reasons the Air Force passed on the design.

Skip

Still learning about it. Tom Bowen said they didn’t get the contract because the roll rate was not high enough and later they tested some other positions with the friese ailerons which allowed a 7 second roll rate but caused the airplane to be dangerous at slow speeds. The airplane was flown after Tom and some other employees put it back together.  It was flown regularly by some of the Mooney employees.  The configuration it is currently in would be too dangerous and it will be either converted back to the slower roll rate or maybe even a regular aileron and flap.  We are still waiting on more data to make that determination. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Pmaxwell said:

Still learning about it. Tom Bowen said they didn’t get the contract because the roll rate was not high enough and later they tested some other positions with the friese ailerons which allowed a 7 second roll rate but caused the airplane to be dangerous at slow speeds. The airplane was flown after Tom and some other employees put it back together.  It was flown regularly by some of the Mooney employees.  The configuration it is currently in would be too dangerous and it will be either converted back to the slower roll rate or maybe even a regular aileron and flap.  We are still waiting on more data to make that determination. 

Wow!  How did you get this airplane?

Is it considered an experimental or is it a certified airplane?

Anyway it will be lovely to see it fly again.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

That’s so cool! Cant wait to see how it compares to the Missile in speed and climb as it’s also 300 HP on the mid mody. However I’m sure it’s heavier with different construction to be stronger. But not a four seater and not sure about fuel tanks. Likely 64 like the J.

-Seth

• 6 months later...

I was there in July and it seemed to have stalled for the time being. The shop is beyond full with paying work and customers anxious to get in and out... I waited many months for an opening! A good business will take care of customers first...

Maybe we'll see it at OSH next year?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
On 10/4/2020 at 10:25 PM, Pmaxwell said:

We picked up the Mooney predator this weekend so we can make it fly again. Out of all of the restoration projects we’ve done this will probably be the most exciting Mooney we’ve worked on and I’m going to keep this thread updated with our progress as much as I can.  With the help of some former and current Mooney employees who have worked on it we hope to have it flying soon with maybe a few updates along the way and hopefully those who have
dreamed of fly it will get a chance.  
44420D81-17A5-4991-824D-7F24C427AED6.thumb.jpeg.67e8d60aa87847f2459d188384510c49.jpeg

Any updates? How’s it flying?

• Like 1

On 10/4/2020 at 10:47 PM, PT20J said:

Paul,

Skip

The ailerons on my rocket drift up in cruise. 

• Haha 1

On 1/29/2021 at 11:47 AM, 201er said:

Does it come with ejection seats or are you retrofitting them? :D

Surely it can’t have ejection seats, they are BIG and HEAVY, we had to put a stand under the tail of an OV1 Mohawk if we pulled a seat, and a seat required a crane, had to weigh at least 150 lbs, maybe more.

On 1/27/2022 at 12:56 AM, FloridaMan said:

The ailerons on my rocket drift up in cruise. 

All ailerons do, or all airplanes that I have flown do. 

I’ve adjusted ailerons so that in flight they were level with the wing and not up. all it did was increase control forces.

I assume they may have been at airspeeds that we should never see

Edited by A64Pilot

• 1 year later...