Garmin A/P not for 1964 Cs and before?

I was looking on Garmin's web site regarding when an A/P might be available for the C and noticed that only 1965 and forward will be getting the nod.  Anybody know why the 64 ands before may be different than the subsequent Cs and therefore unable to be  fitted with the Garmin A/P?

Wasn’t ‘65 the first year that Positive Control was available?  Is that the same year the lower surfaces of the ailerons were no longer had a concave curvature?  That change (whatever year it happened) lightened up the control forces, right?

• Like 2

65 was the year of many things getting refined...

There are just small step between M20Bs and the last M20C... including...

• Aerleron updates
  • rudder size
  • rudder throw
  • Getting the Brittain system installed (this way, the Servo mounts are in place already...)

Lets say... updating the finer details to enable the installation of the G device, would be technically possible...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

I may be wrong but I think in 65 the actual building of the C was more refined and more process driven making the 65 and newer models were more standard.  At least when I owned a 63 C that was part of my understanding of the history of why certain things were different for mine than a newer C.

So, I decided, just out of curiosity sake and since I have been waiting for this Garmin autopilot for my 63 C model, to shoot an e-mail to Garmin to see if they would provide me any answers to why anything earlier than the 63 C model has been excluded so far.  The following is the answer I received and highlights what some others on this forum have already said...

Good Morning Greg,

The main reason is the Mooney M20C models before 1964 are structurally different and requires a different installation kit/setup to complete. We are currently have this on schedule for early 2021 to start the certification process. 

Regards,

Chad

Aviation Support

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greg Ellis said:

So, I decided, just out of curiosity sake and since I have been waiting for this Garmin autopilot for my 63 C model, to shoot an e-mail to Garmin to see if they would provide me any answers to why anything earlier than the 63 C model has been excluded so far.  The following is the answer I received and highlights what some others on this forum have already said...

Good Morning Greg,

The main reason is the Mooney M20C models before 1964 are structurally different and requires a different installation kit/setup to complete. We are currently have this on schedule for early 2021 to start the certification process. 

Regards,

Chad

Aviation Support

That’s good news that they won’t be forgotten. Still might be first available vs TT and Dynon...

Greg,

you just qualified as a great MSer... :)

A typical great MSer... when confronted with a challenge... doesn’t mind making a phone call, or sending an email...

Then posts the results here...

This question has left a few MSers with a bit of unease... as if they got passed over...

Realistically, Big G wants everyone to have their AP....

Just takes a little more time to make that happen...

no permanent exclusions...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Andy95W said:

What about the 1964 M20E models?  If those are included with the rest of the E's, but the 1964 M20Cs are not, I think Garmin's reasoning might be a load of bunk.

Every pre 65 c d e is excluded. Not just the C

• Thanks 1

If the Garmin guy didn't misspeak, he has different info than is on the website, since the website says no upgrade for the C prior to 65, not 64.  Although if he says the whole situation will sort itself out in time, I guess we'll see.  They made a lot of Cs prior to 65 and I'll bet their owners are as anxious as the later C guys for A/P upgrades.  Not as though there are many options... Thanks Greg for contacting Garmin.  

Edited by GMBrown