Where to get replacement door keys?

I'm looking to get a replacement door key for my M20J. The ignition key is different from the door lock and I do not have a copy of the original keys for the doors. 

The door lock has "LL328" written on it. I checked with a friend that also has a M20J with the same lock inscribed with "LL328" and their key did not turn the lock.

I tried ordering a Herman Miller replacement key for LL328 since it uses the same IN8 key blank. This did not work either. (See attached photo with the Herman Miller key in the door)

The lock does turn, I was able to pick the lock with basic lock picking tools. 

Without taking the lock out of the door(s) and disassembling the lock, is there another way to manufacture or order a replacement key?

IMG_3288.JPG

Edited by prestonvanloon

That doesn't look like a Medeco key, more like the standard filing cabinet keys like on my C. Be happy if your J only has two keys--my C has three, which I color-code:

• Blue for bags (baggage door)
  • Green for go (people door)
  • Red for fire (ignition)

I have copies made at the locksmith.

Edited by Hank

Medeco keys are usually just used as an ignition key (late models) which you would have to by from Mooney once you give them the number on the key. The key for the door and baggage is just a simple key the can be made by a locksmith. I would ask a locksmith if he can make you a replacement key if you give him the lock mechanism.

22 minutes ago, buddy said:

Medeco keys are usually just used as an ignition key (late models) which you would have to by from Mooney once you give them the number on the key. The key for the door and baggage is just a simple key the can be made by a locksmith. I would ask a locksmith if he can make you a replacement key if you give him the lock mechanism.

That would be the time to make the door key match the ignition! Give him the door lock and the ignition key, and buy several keys.

My sets:  regular use; wife's set; mechanic's set; loaner set when I need work done elsewhere, tagged with my N number; spare set in the car; and two spare sets at home, just in case. 

I bought a new set of Medeco locks to replace the traditional "filing cabinet" ones as @carusoamsays. Unlike Medeco, the traditional ones are incredibly easy for anyone to pick or even use an identical one (there are only so many patterns they used).  I'm not replacing my ignition but rather the two locks on the outside. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hank said:

My sets:  regular use; wife's set; mechanic's set; loaner set when I need work done elsewhere, tagged with my N number; spare set in the car; and two spare sets at home, just in case. 

None hidden in the gear well or thereabouts? ;-)

21 hours ago, Hank said:

That doesn't look like a Medeco key, more like the standard filing cabinet keys like on my C. Be happy if your J only has two keys--my C has three, which I color-code:

• Blue for bags (baggage door)
  • Green for go (people door)
  • Red for fire (ignition)

I have copies made at the locksmith.

I was able to impression the lock and make a new key for the cargo door. It looks like I also have 3 different keys... I ran out of time to make a key for the main door but I was disappointed to learn the cargo door key did not turn the main door lock.

Great idea on the color codes!

9 hours ago, Hank said:

That would be the time to make the door key match the ignition! Give him the door lock and the ignition key, and buy several keys.

I thought about re-pinning the door locks to match the ignition but I was having a hard time getting the lock off the cargo door and I didn’t try the main door yet. I suppose I can live with 3 different keys

8 hours ago, Davidv said:

I bought a new set of Medeco locks to replace the traditional "filing cabinet" ones as @carusoamsays. Unlike Medeco, the traditional ones are incredibly easy for anyone to pick or even use an identical one (there are only so many patterns they used).  I'm not replacing my ignition but rather the two locks on the outside. 

I can confirm. It took me about 30 seconds to pick the lock with a rake pick lol

I don’t park the plane outside often, but I’d like to at least deter a handle puller while on a short stop or overnight parking

22 hours ago, prestonvanloon said:

I thought about re-pinning the door locks to match the ignition but I was having a hard time getting the lock off the cargo door and I didn’t try the main door yet. I suppose I can live with 3 different keys

baggage door is easy just remove the trim on inside--10 or  so little screws that's it.

22 hours ago, mike261 said:

the factory has them.

i called and they sent them in a few days.

Mike

Not for folks that have different keys on different locks - the factory will have the original key but the cheap Chicago locks get replaced all the time without re-pinning to the original key.