Problems with G1000 system (AHRS resets, GDL 90, GMU1, GRS1 issues)

mooneycat

Hi folks,

Flying a 2007 M20TN G1000.

Was out flying yesterday and all of a sudden my AHRS reset/rebooted in flight. During the time it was offline, I lost traffic data during this time, too. Would be offline for maybe 1-2 minutes then it came back and everything was fine. Would fly for 3-4 more minutes and then happen all over again. Noticed in the LRU system page that it was the GDL 90 that had a red x on during the time it was failing, though for a brief few seconds I saw the GMU1 and GRS1 have red X's as well. Pulled the SDCARDs out and they confirm the loss of data during the period when the AHRS reset and lost traffic data.

Attached photos of it when I had it plugged in the hangar (GPS probably wouldn't work), so that should be expected. Easily reproducible.

Curious if anyone has seen similar before? I've browsed on the Internet and have heard of posts about maybe the magnetometer needs to be re-calibrated.

lru-fail.thumb.png.63340f2bc909106d5da72fa6d76cdefc.pngmore-fail.png.9bfea27c5cb94605e2af214d8a1dfeac.pngloss-of-data.png.004d02e44a44cedddd399e03cb33a0b8.png

This happened to me on my ovation. 
there is a procedure you can do to recalibrate the magnetometer on some models within the menus.  If it won’t recalibrate, it’s shot, as it was on mine  

I don’t believe it works on all versions of g1000 software, and there are myriad as the vary with equipment, appointments , as well as software versions. 
in my instance the magnetometer had to be rebuilt. 
parts 1320 parts, 1000 labor.
turn around was pretty quick. 

The messages are telling you clear enough. GPS data is not available. Both to AHRS and to ADS-B. Given your GIA's are functioning, it may be antenna or data bus. I don't know if the GIA would give you a red check with a GPS receiver only malfunction. What ever it is, data is not getting through.

• Like 1

Also with regard to the magnetometer or "flux gate" I found out something while replacing the screws on the cover over the unit. I had a seized nut plate and the parts manual lists incorrect nut plates. It list MS21049L08K. These are incorrect for G1000 airplanes as they are steel. The installed ones are correctly aluminum. I had a hard time finding aluminum but found them finally at nutplates.com. I also replaced all the screws on that panel with brass. MS24693bb2. I then placarded the panel "Flux Gate Non Magnetic fasteners and tools only".

• Thanks 1

I recently had a different issue....on my 2007 Acclaim the heading information went out in flight for about 5 mins and the HDG had a red X through it on the panel.  Everything else seemed to be fine and I was digging around in the manual looking to troubleshoot when it just came back by itself....no more problems the rest of the flight.  Anyone else experienced this?  I had assumed if you lost heading information it would disconnect the AP but it did not.

• 4 months later...

I have exactly the same problem with my 2005 Cessna 206! They replaced the magnetometer but no help. Cessna offered no help. Garmin says it is a software update compatibility problem. The local avionics shop who actually arranged a refund on the magnetometer said to wait for a “hard failure”. This has been going on for 3 years and is still going on. It only occurs about every 20-40 hrs of flying. I even considered replacing the G1000 but even Garmin said that it would not solve the problem. I’ve learned to live with it. The only problem is that it disengages the autopilot and should this happen in IMC on an approach I need to be prepared. Hope you are having better luck!

• 1 month later...