Circular Plastic Connectors

PT20J

18 hours ago, testwest said:

This $17 extractor is what you need, I think this is the right part number, stand by for more info, I will update this post when I can. 

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/305183/A1329-ND/15640

That is the one that I have and it works for all the large pin front extraction CPC connectors on my M20J. There are a few plastic high density connectors that use the MIL standard pins that require a different rear extractor. Easy to tell the difference as the pins are quite different in size.

Jim

Edited by jcovington
Wording cleanup
  • Like 2

On 10/5/2020 at 11:17 AM, jaylw314 said:

AFAIK, the CPC pins just use the standard Molex connector dies

https://www.steinair.com/product/molex-open-barreled-pin-crimper/

I like Steinair's website, it's easier to find aviation stuff than digikey or mouser (though a little more expensive)

Yes, that is the correct crimper. It requires two steps to crimp. The first around the bare wire and the second around the insulation. Sometimes with real small wires I start with a larger die to start the metal bending over and then crimp a second time with a smaller die. There are one step ratcheting crimpers available but those are fairly expensive.

If you don't want to fool with crimpers there are solder cup pins available. I have used both and prefer the crimp version.

Jim

2 hours ago, jcovington said:

Yes, that is the correct crimper. It requires two steps to crimp. The first around the bare wire and the second around the insulation. Sometimes with real small wires I start with a larger die to start the metal bending over and then crimp a second time with a smaller die. There are one step ratcheting crimpers available but those are fairly expensive.

If you don't want to fool with crimpers there are solder cup pins available. I have used both and prefer the crimp version.

Jim

Yeah, the ones TYCO and Amp specify are $150 and up.  Makes sense if you need the best quality tools (although I've never seen one so I don't know if they're any more ergonomic).  If your just doing a few, a ratcheting crimp tool only costs about $50-60.

Thanks for all the responses. There are a couple of pins and sockets that will work with the CPCs. Type III+ open barrel works with a crimper such as @jaylw314 suggested:

SAT-018-CRIMPER-L.jpg

I actually bought a IWISS SN-48B crimper that will crimp both the conductor and insulation in a single action:

51tOQheXocL._SL1001_.jpg

It works great, but I discovered that it is difficult to see the wire position with the terminal in the crimper whereas the one that @jaylw314 suggested has the advantage of being easier to ensure that the wire is correctly positioned before crimping even though crimping the insulation strain relief requires a second operation.

The Mooney factory used more expensive closed barrel type II screw machined contacts. Crimpers for these are 4-way 8 indent. Most are several hundred dollars. I did find one more reasonably priced at $99 (IWISS HD-3220A), but have not purchased or tried it.

1.jpg?v=1600849796

Skip

• Like 1

On 10/12/2020 at 7:59 PM, PT20J said:

Thanks for all the responses. There are a couple of pins and sockets that will work with the CPCs. Type III+ open barrel works with a crimper such as @jaylw314 suggested:

I actually bought a IWISS SN-48B crimper that will crimp both the conductor and insulation in a single action:

It works great, but I discovered that it is difficult to see the wire position with the terminal in the crimper whereas the one that @jaylw314 suggested has the advantage of being easier to ensure that the wire is correctly positioned before crimping even though crimping the insulation strain relief requires a second operation.

The Mooney factory used more expensive closed barrel type II screw machined contacts. Crimpers for these are 4-way 8 indent. Most are several hundred dollars. I did find one more reasonably priced at $99 (IWISS HD-3220A), but have not purchased or tried it.

Skip

Steinair is your friend :)

https://www.steinair.com/product/4-way-indent-crimper/

https://www.steinair.com/product/contact-standard-dsub-pin/

https://www.steinair.com/product/contact-standard-dsub-socket/

About the cheapest place I've found small quantities of the connectors

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

These are for D-sub connectors that take size 20 contacts. The Mooney CPC Series 1 connectors take size 16 contacts.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, PT20J said:

These are for D-sub connectors that take size 20 contacts. The Mooney CPC Series 1 connectors take size 16 contacts.

Really?  I'm using CPC's in my project and use those pins.  There must be CPC's that use smaller pins, but the catalog is so poorly laid out it's tough to figure out...

6 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

Really?  I'm using CPC's in my project and use those pins.  There must be CPC's that use smaller pins, but the catalog is so poorly laid out it's tough to figure out...

It is very confusing :P  There is a series 2 CPC which has higher density than series 1 and uses the smaller pins. On my ‘94 M20J, Mooney used series 1 connectors. Not sure about later models. I seem to remember that my ‘78 J favored knife disconnects. 

Skip

• Thanks 1