Qt halo headset

I’m getting my 67F on Tuesday and am also looking for a new headset. I see a lot of Mooney drivers using the halo in ear headset. Anyone use them? I have a light speed Zulu 2 currently, how do the halos do for noise cancelation? Should i just skip that and go for the Bose?

Edited by Owen M20F
  • Like 1

I am actually a little amazed at the opinions concerning "in-ear" vs "over the ear" headsets. Some people swear by one and others by the other. I have tried the Halos, and just prefer my David Clarks with a couple of modifications. I acknowledge that Bose are superior, but for the $, I'm happy with what I have.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have the Halos and ultimately like them. Surprisingly yesterday, I took both my halos and A20's with me and tried them on inflight for comparison. I did the switch in flight, about 30 seconds apart. Overall the Halos were a decent chunk quieter. You need to put the halos in your ears like q tips. Its not like a pair of apple or Samsung headphones where it goes kind of in your ear but mainly sits on the outside of the ear canal. the halos go in the ear canal. I use the small foam tips and honestly after 5 minutes of wearing them I forget they're there.

Next I'll probably give the https://cqheadset.com/ a try. They are slightly more expensive, but have a slightly longer mic boom. I really like the Halos but the first pair I got didn't work. I kept on stating this to the guy who makes them but he told me it was something wrong with my panel set up. After using A20's David Clarks, and cheap headsets, and having them all work, and the halos not working, I decided to try another pair of halos and the second pair worked just fine, so I guess there was something up with those first pair of halos. I was a tad bit agitated having the company just straight to the conclusion that my panel was wonky, but in the end I got a working pair so it is what it is I guess.

I'd say give the CQ headset or QT Halos a shot.

• Like 2

I fly with the Clarity Aloft Classic, which looks very similar to the Halo.  The big appeal to me with in-ear headsets was that I can wear them for 5 hours without getting a headache.  I've tried a few different DC's and a pair of A20's.  All of them gave me a headache within a few hours, possibly because of interference with my glasses.  

Another reason I ended of with the in-ear headsets was that I was lucky enough to be learning to fly in San Diego at the time, and Marv Golden Pilot Supplies let me borrow one for a day to go try it out in the air.  If you have a pilot supply shop nearby, ask them if you can do a demo.  

Peoples' experiences with headsets are deeply personal, based on personal preference and head/ear anatomy.  So you're not going to be able to tell which one is best for you based on what others' say about them.  As a simple example of that, I have absolutely no doubt that Niko182 is telling the truth when he says his QT halos are quieter than his over-the-ear Bose ANR headset.  But I promise I'm telling the truth too, when I say I've had exactly the opposite experience with QT halos vs. over-the ear ANR (and yes, I insert the QT plugs all the way into the ear canal).  To be clear, I really enjoy wearing the QT halos when flight instructing in 172s, but they're just not viable for me in the higher noise environment of my M20F.  I may eventually try some custom ear molds based on comments from others, but it's not a priority.

Anyway... the good news is that most/all of the manufacturers have no-cost return policies.  Rather than asking for opinions on the internet, suggest you pick two or three options, order one of each, fly with all of 'em, and send back all but your favorite.

I love my Halos! They look flimsy, but have held up for me since 2010. My old headset was much quieter without my glasses, while changing into / out of sunglasses. This is not an issue with Halos.

My wife resisted trying them, but I surprised her with a set of Halos,  telling her I could sell them quickly if she didn't like them. A half hour flight convinced her, and her DCs with gel pads are now a passenger set.

I have Halos, Lightspeed Zulu 3 and Tangos. I like them all for different reasons.  In my opinion, the attenuation is good but probably not quite equal to the noise cancelling types. The Halos are worth a try and you can usually sell them for about what you paid if you don't like them.  I go back and forth between the Tango and Halos.

In the ear technology used to be really unique...

I got a pair of Bose wireless ear buds  (somebody got them for me) for use around the house... TV watching... :)

It is really cool to see how low you can set the volume and still hear everything so clearly...

What I was most impressed by... the MK-I human ear’s ability to work so well after so many years...

What I was most surprised by... the MK-1 human ear’s owners, don’t naturally know how to put things in their ears...   we have been trained from the beginning on how not to put things in our ears... but not the best way to pick a bud size and stretch the canal open...   :)

If you are new to in the ear technology... find the right sized ear bud that is comfortable...

I have two pairs of Halos and would buy more...  to get BT wireless...

Best regards,

-a-

I've been flying since 1992 and Mooney's since 2005 as well as flying professionally on the Embraer 145/175.  I've been a fan of ANR headsets and never thought I'd give up my Lightspeed Zulus.  I had a friend encourage me to try an in-the-ear headset.  Now that I've been flying with a CQ1 (https://cqheadset.com/) for the last 2 yrs, it is one of those times in life I can't believe I didn't make the change years ago, especially while flying for the airlines.

The CQ1 is every bit as good as ANR at blocking out noise, and I'd say better once you learn to get the ear tips seated correctly.  The comfort level can't be beat.  There is no more pressure on the ears or jaw, and being able to wear sunglasses and hats without earcup interference is a major advantage.  Wearing just a few ounces instead of a heavy Lightspeed is also easier on the neck, especially after a long day in the air.  

I looked in detail at a Quiet Technologies Halo and a Card Machine Works CQ1.  I know enough about wire bending stresses that the fine wire from the frame to the speakers on the Clarity Aloft look like a failure point that isn't easily solved.  The non-adjustability of the Clarity Aloft frame also was not appealing.  The CQ1 and Halo may look similar from across the airfield, but a more in-depth look made the differences clear.  

The frame on the CQ1 is sturdier, and I preferred the size adjustment mechanism.  The Halo has a piece of wire that pulls out of a hollow tube.  Whenever I had to reposition the mic on the Halo, which was quite often, the wire would move and pinch me, it was a bit wobbly and dropped out of place eventually.  CQ1 stays where it is like my Zulus. The CQ1 works as advertised and I have never had any issues with feedback or ATC.

IMHO: No Brainer!!!  I would and will continue to use the CQ1 over ANY headset. Great quality and with no batteries required….

The noise attenuation aspect of the various headsets is definitely a hotly debated topic, and I wouldn’t argue with anyone about what works best for them. 
i fly with the clarity aloft, and have tried all of the top brands for more than a quick flight. I have actually purchased four different headsets and used them for a few weeks, each time going back to clarity aloft. 
when I fly for several hours with noise cancelling headphones, my ears ring and hurt for days after. I do not have this problem with the in ear headset. 
for me the clarity aloft works best for noise and the comfort cannot be matched. 
No issue with sunglasses, they are a fraction of the weight, no hot Sweaty ears,  or head bumping on the ceiling, and no ringing in the ears when I land. 
I love them, and highly recommend them. 

the only con is you can’t mount the o2 boom to them

26 minutes ago, Shiny moose said:

I should not have read this thread! I have been looking to upgrade to an A20, I been using Bose X's 

Now Im gonna need more information. Damn

I used my friend’s Bose headsets in his Eagle... They are really nice... and memorable...

More and more, I’m going to in the ear style headsets... around the house, gym, running...

To really combine things... try a Bose in the ear headset... (if they have them?)

Best regards,

-a-

I've had my QT Halos for almost 10 years now. About 2 years back, the boots split exposing the wires which was worrisome but didn't affect the workings ... yet. I was able to send them in, and get them back in under 2 weeks at no charge and they have been as good as new. Comfortable to wear for hours, and you can go over the top or wrap around behind. The only downsides I've found is, they do get a little gunked up over time, and thus you can't really share them without swapping the ear plugs. I would buy them again without doubt.

• Like 2

The Halo's are great.  I just purchased a pair last month and have now used them for about 20 hours of flying most of which has also been with a nasal cannula.  They are significantly quieter than my passive David Clarks and much more comfortable on long flights.  The audio clarity is amazing and they weigh next to nothing.  I also really appreciate the extra headroom they provide (I'm 6'2") over traditional over the head headsets.  At 1/3 the cost of a new set of Bose A20s, they are pretty hard to beat IMO.  

• Like 2