Mooney Ovation

MATTS875

Debating on moving up to an Ovation. Any input would be appreciated on what to look for. It will most likely be a few months away but just wanted to start the fun research. Would like one with lower engine time and budget will probably be $200k or less. Thanks in advance 

I figure the guy with the reg. number one less than yours should probably weigh in.  ;-)

That budget should be ok for an Ovation with a modest panel (maybe ADSB), possibly has air conditioning, likely no TKS, and a mid-time engine.  You’ll have a fairly blank canvas to add whatever you want and turn it into your “forever” airplane if you want.

Happy to help with a decision once you identify a candidate.  I’m biased, but you’ll have an amazing platform in the “O”.  You won’t regret the decision.

Steve

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, StevenL757 said:

I figure the guy with the reg. number one less than yours should probably weigh in.  ;-)

That budget should be ok for an Ovation with a modest panel (maybe ADSB), possibly has air conditioning, likely no TKS, and a mid-time engine.  You’ll have a fairly blank canvas to add whatever you want and turn it into your “forever” airplane if you want.

Happy to help with a decision once you identify a candidate.  I’m biased, but you’ll have an amazing platform in the “O”.  You won’t regret the decision.

Steve

Thank you. Air conditioning would be nice not really a deal breaker on Tks    Would like to possibly get a lower time engine if possible. It’s always fun to shop. Hopefully one day this will happen. Also I probably need to check on insurance with Parker Woodruff before I get too deep in all this. My 1998 201 is costing me about $3100 per year now. 

Cool...

Moving from M20J to M20R...

More speed, more capability.... More capacity.

The O1 is very much like the 90s Js...  You just get more Mooney...  :)

Look for the basic O options...There were four the day it got manufactured...

• TKS
  • AC
  • Built in O2
  • 1k+ UL

Choose wisely... the more the hardware goes up, a corresponding amount is taken from the UL...

• Keep both eyes open while looking at fancy G1000 panels of the later Os... make sure they are updated, or at least be familiar with their status...

Go O!

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Cool...

Moving from M20J to M20R...

More speed, more capability.... More capacity.

The O1 is very much like the 90s Js...  You just get more Mooney...  :)

Look for the basic O options...There were four the day it got manufactured...

• TKS
  • AC
  • Built in O2
  • 1k+ UL

Choose wisely... the more the hardware goes up, a corresponding amount is taken from the UL...

• Keep both eyes open while looking at fancy G1000 panels of the later Os... make sure they are updated, or at least be familiar with their status...

Go O!

Best regards,

-a-

Yes. Just on the thinking side  right now. Love my 201 and have everything ready for making flying memories but thinking about the longer body and more speed of course. I like the newer avionics in the ovation but that will probably stretch the budget too far. I like the G1000 but have read that getting WAASis an ordeal. 

• Like 1

Matt - I went through the same thought process that you are. I owned a 231 many year ago and was planning on buying a J model a couple of years ago. Great planes (both the J &K). When I did the analysis I learned a few things.  1) the ovation does cost more no doubt about it but when you consider the late model J's, they command a good premium so the differential for me was worth it to get into a long body   2) the engines will be more to overhaul but the efficiency is very close with the J & R models if you run the Ovation LOP (and they run very smooth on stock injectors)  3) in the end, the extra HP, later model year and extra room swayed me to the Ovation. 

In hindsight, I have been very happy with the purchase and the capability with the TKS and O2 is excellent, not to mention the dual alternators, dual vacuum systems etc.  You can find a good S or R model in the earlier years for under $200K. 

Happy hunting - as you said, some of the fun is in the search.

Mark

Carousoam had a list of 4 options.  I have 3 of the 4 options and with the Screaming Eagle, it keeps a good UL with the addition of the FIKI.  Figure out what you want in the plane and then go look for it!  You won't be disappointed in the least! 

As Mark said, much of the fun is in the hunt!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, MarkD34M said:

Matt - I went through the same thought process that you are. I owned a 231 many year ago and was planning on buying a J model a couple of years ago. Great planes (both the J &K). When I did the analysis I learned a few things.  1) the ovation does cost more no doubt about it but when you consider the late model J's, they command a good premium so the differential for me was worth it to get into a long body   2) the engines will be more to overhaul but the efficiency is very close with the J & R models if you run the Ovation LOP (and they run very smooth on stock injectors)  3) in the end, the extra HP, later model year and extra room swayed me to the Ovation. 

In hindsight, I have been very happy with the purchase and the capability with the TKS and O2 is excellent, not to mention the dual alternators, dual vacuum systems etc.  You can find a good S or R model in the earlier years for under $200K. 

Happy hunting - as you said, some of the fun is in the search.

Mark

Thank you Mark. My plane is up for sale now and when it sells I’ll be ready for the ovation. The hunt is the fun part. Thanks for all the advice and information 

2 hours ago, Mufflerbearing said:

Carousoam had a list of 4 options.  I have 3 of the 4 options and with the Screaming Eagle, it keeps a good UL with the addition of the FIKI.  Figure out what you want in the plane and then go look for it!  You won't be disappointed in the least! 

As Mark said, much of the fun is in the hunt!

Thanks   I would really like the air conditioning here in the Alabama heat Don’t want to look too hard now because it never fails you find exactly what you want and it’s a timing thing. 

17 hours ago, MATTS875 said:

Thanks   I would really like the air conditioning here in the Alabama heat Don’t want to look too hard now because it never fails you find exactly what you want and it’s a timing thing. 

Well, everyone has a unicorn airplane.  You know, that one that you think of in your mind's eye and hope it has been built.  I had a unicorn plane in my mind and after 6 months of looking, I found it!  You will find yours too.  If it comes up and timing isn't just right, you may have to make a decision.  Unicorn planes are rare

I think you will be able to make the switch for very little capital investment as the late J’s maintain a high premium. Personally I’d look for a plane in the 2-2.5k hrs range that has been maintained properly and rested in a hangar. These planes are 20-25 years old now so a low time original engine is not an asset IMO. 

On 10/1/2020 at 10:07 PM, MATTS875 said:

Debating on moving up to an Ovation. Any input would be appreciated on what to look for. It will most likely be a few months away but just wanted to start the fun research. Would like one with lower engine time and budget will probably be $200k or less. Thanks in advance 

Matt,

I don’t know if you have flown in an Ovation yet but I’m in Florida (KZPH) and would be happy to let you fly mine. 

Bill

27 minutes ago, mike261 said:

Matt, heard at KLWM today that a local guy is looking at 46X, Imagine my surprise!

Mike

That’s great. I think it’s under  contract. I’ve had the engine overhauled with only 30 hours on it, also the tanks completely stripped and resealed. It’s a great plane and will probably regret selling it as I’m having a tough time finding my next plane.Whoever gets it will have a nice Mooney that is all ready. I’m still thinking Ovation but would like to hear others input. I really don’t need a turbo as I’m on the East .  Hope all is going good with your new plane. Looks great 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BillC said:

Matt,

I don’t know if you have flown in an Ovation yet but I’m in Florida (KZPH) and would be happy to let you fly mine. 

Bill

Thanks Bill. I really appreciate that. Right now I’m working 6 days a week so maybe one day I can look you up. Any input on owning an Ovation? My only concern is the ones I’m finding have 1200-1500 hours since overhaul and would really like a plane that I can fly for several years before the big overhaul price hits me. All input is appreciated 

On 10/4/2020 at 6:28 AM, MIm20c said:

I think you will be able to make the switch for very little capital investment as the late J’s maintain a high premium. Personally I’d look for a plane in the 2-2.5k hrs range that has been maintained properly and rested in a hangar. These planes are 20-25 years old now so a low time original engine is not an asset IMO. 

Thanks for the insight. I would be willing to go to $225k for the right one.  Just not wanting  a 1500 smoh engine as that will be ready for overhaul soon. Seems that most are needing cylinders overhauled around the 1200 hour mark

IO550s can go the distance on one set of cylinders....

Depends on how it gets operated...

Unfortunately, you may have to do the research on the plane before it gets its memory erased...

There are two modes of operation for Mooneys...

• Conservative, fuel saving, cylinder sparing.... and...
  • Flaming dragon mode... for a few cylinders along the way...

Wait til you see how easy it is to push the throttle in and leave it there...   :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

10 hours ago, carusoam said:

IO550s can go the distance on one set of cylinders....

Depends on how it gets operated...

Unfortunately, you may have to do the research on the plane before it gets its memory erased...

There are two modes of operation for Mooneys...

• Conservative, fuel saving, cylinder sparing.... and...
  • Flaming dragon mode... for a few cylinders along the way...

Wait til you see how easy it is to push the throttle in and leave it there...   :)

Best regards,

-a-

My former IO550G went the distance, and beyond.

I do believe operation and maintenance were the key to its success.... it was flown regularly and consistently and flown LOP!

When it was disassembled for OH, the shop exclaimed “this engine was operated LOP”.....it was extremely clean inside!

• Like 1

On 10/9/2020 at 7:35 PM, MATTS875 said:

Thanks Bill. I really appreciate that. Right now I’m working 6 days a week so maybe one day I can look you up. Any input on owning an Ovation? My only concern is the ones I’m finding have 1200-1500 hours since overhaul and would really like a plane that I can fly for several years before the big overhaul price hits me. All input is appreciated 

How many hours per year are you flying?  Even if it's 100 hours per year, a 1200-1500 hour engine will give you 5-8 years before reaching Continental's recommended TBO.  Many folks fly well beyond recommended TBO anyway.  Which would you trust more, a properly maintained engine that has 2000 hours on it or a newly overhauled engine with 50 hours on it?

11 minutes ago, Greg_D said:

How many hours per year are you flying?  Even if it's 100 hours per year, a 1200-1500 hour engine will give you 5-8 years before reaching Continental's recommended TBO.  Many folks fly well beyond recommended TBO anyway.  Which would you trust more, a properly maintained engine that has 2000 hours on it or a newly overhauled engine with 50 hours on it?

I see your point. I only fly around 50 hours a year for now but hopefully will get to fly more once I get my IFR ticket. 

2 minutes ago, MATTS875 said:

I see your point. I only fly around 50 hours a year for now but hopefully will get to fly more once I get my IFR ticket. 

Matt, so even if you doubled the amount of flying you do, you'd be looking at an overhaul years down the road if you decided to do it based on hours.  Some will tell you that the best way to buy is plane is to get one with the paint, interior and avionics you want, and a runout engine.  Then get the engine overhauled at the shop of your choosing, or get a new engine, and break it in and maintain it the way you want from day one.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2020 at 8:39 PM, MATTS875 said:

Thanks for the insight. I would be willing to go to $225k for the right one.  Just not wanting  a 1500 smoh engine as that will be ready for overhaul soon. Seems that most are needing cylinders overhauled around the 1200 hour mark

As previously said some can go the distance and more based on how the engine is run but another factor is which IO-550 you have.  Earlier Ovation's with the IO-550G are RPM limited which increase their lifespan albeit with a small power trade-off.

As far as options and everything else goes I guess it all depends on your mission profiles.  When I bought my O one of my goals was to fly from my home base in SC to CT, particularly in the winter time.  I opted for long range tanks and TKS which was important.  Be aware that TKS does NOT equal FIKI and that not all TKS systems are FIKI certified.  AC would have been nice but was harder to find during my searches.  It has speed brakes but honestly I don't use them that much if the descents are well planned out, but that's probably another topic altogether.  Also, as a fellow east coaster I agree with you completely on not bothering with the turbo unless you plan on heading out to the mountains.  Just another thing to maintain and overhaul and you won't have to worry about oxygen systems either.  Just my $0.02.

On 10/11/2020 at 8:57 AM, MATTS875 said:

A beautiful one just came on the market this morning:

https://www.controller.com/listing/for-sale/197854703/1998-mooney-m20r-ovation-piston-single-aircraft

• Like 2

On 10/14/2020 at 9:14 AM, LANCECASPER said:

Yes, and it's a sweet ride.  If anyone wants specifics about this plane, feel free to PM me.  I ferried it from PA to TX a few weeks ago.  Jimmy mentioned in the ad that it is a head turner.  I lost track of the number of people who approached me to ask about the plane while I was ferrying it and getting some maintenance done.

• Like 1