Tanis or Reiff preheat system?

Bravoman

My plane will be in the shop for a couple of weeks for an exhaust system repair. Found a hairline crack at one of the joints. Thought I would take the opportunity to add a pre-heat system. I have a Tanis on my Saratoga  which was installed by the previous owner that works well.  Was wondering if anybody has any suggestions about which of the two systems would be best for the Bravo.

Thanks, Frank

10 hours ago, Bravoman said:

My plane will be in the shop for a couple of weeks for an exhaust system repair. Found a hairline crack at one of the joints. Thought I would take the opportunity to add a pre-heat system. I have a Tanis on my Saratoga  which was installed by the previous owner that works well.  Was wondering if anybody has any suggestions about which of the two systems would be best for the Bravo.

Thanks, Frank

I’ve used both on three different airplanes.

Without a doubt...Reiff TurboXP system (with oil cooler option)

Did I mention Reiff?  ;-)

• Like 2

Bravoman calling in from Georgia, getting pre-heat advice...

Guess it depends on where you are flying to...

If it includes the UP... get the system that also heats the cylinders, and the oil cooler too...

Stop by HF, and size the right generator to go with that...

Also find @OSUAV8TER and his latest offer for the cell switch device... SwitcheOn.

Go MS!

Love the recurring annual threads... :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I have decided to go with the Reiff Turbo XP.  It’s also what Joe Cole over at the MSC recommends for ease of installation. Also just a log book entry vs a 337 which is required with the other brand. It’s cheaper than the competition by three or four hundred bucks too.  For you guys up north, you would be surprised at how many 40° and below days we get here in the winter time in the Atlanta area. The hangar typically stays a few degrees warmer than outside, and sometimes I will turn on a space heater or two which I really don’t like doing, but this is a lot easier.

Edited by Bravoman
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Cruiser said:

Tanis uses the Cylinder temp holes  so if you have or want an engine monitor you will have a conflict. 

I have the Reiff system and it works well, does not interfere with any other equipment and is relatively easy to install. 

image.thumb.png.00b801dcbb954a44d6f0e32e0139bdef.png

@Bravoman I have the Reiff system on my IO-470N and I liked it much better than the Tanis heather. The downside to switching is that I had to replace all of my EGT probes. With the installation of the preheated consider checking out our SwitcheOn smartphone controlled remote switching box. The box hooks up to the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network and you can remotely activate your Reiff preheater. https://www.gallagheraviationllc.com/switcheon.html <--- Check it out there

• Like 1

In addition, the Reiff family has provided impeccable tech support.  I've only used them once in nearly 10 years, and it was to replace a single cylinder band where the cable became detached to where the that band wasn't getting power to heat that cylinder.  Although out of warranty, they replaced it free of charge, and shipped it free.

Steve

• Like 1

I know you've made your decision but here is a reference from Aviation Consumer. I think the headline synopsis is still relevant and says it all.

Electric Preheaters: Reiff Enjoys Value Edge

Our trials show that Tanis delivers more heat faster, but it also costs more to install. Reiffs good-enough approach is the top value for most owners.

By
 jcavangh
 - 
Published: February 21, 2007Updated: October 29, 2019

FWIW I have the Tanis system installed, purchased at a KOSH discount when I was there a few years ago. Works great.

Cheers,
Rick

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

As an update, I installed the Reiff  XP system.  Seems to work great. We have had some days down into the 30s here, although I know it is a little bit warmer in the hanger. I have used it once, plugged it in the night before and it heated the oil to about 114°. Thumbs up so far!

Both systems do the job. But personally I prefer the Tanis system with combination heater element/CHT probe that goes into the cylinder wells plus with added oil sump heater pad on bottom and crankcase heater pad on top. This set up is fastest, which is ideal for the pilot who flies into a ski area and plugs in the system just before departure - occasionally the night before - while on the ramp. It has the engine warmed up very quickly and thoroughly. But not cheap, although neither is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by kortopates

Reiff guy here.  It rarely gets up to 30 (F) from the beginning of December to the middle of February where I live.  So the Reiff rings and the two sump pads work great for the 60 mins or so it takes to get the whole thing up to 70. 

Only one consideration counts for me here.  Time taken to get the engine up to acceptably warm.  

• Like 2

On 10/1/2020 at 4:34 AM, apenney said:

image.thumb.png.00b801dcbb954a44d6f0e32e0139bdef.png

Tanis has the most flexibility in configuring pre-heat systems with different kinds of options - perhaps because they cover much more than just piston engines.

I personally don't like the bolt heater elements myself. What I think is their best option for thorough quick heating of the cylinders is their combination cylinder well/thermocouple CHT probe that will work with any engine analyzer. Here is an example for J type probes:

https://www.tanisaircraft.com/product/replacement-parts-accessories/replacement-heat-elements/threaded-heat-element/ttp2630-j-115-50

Better for longevity IMO since they're never touched or handled till the cylinder is R&R'd in which case they come out just like a CHT probe - since it also is a CHT probe.

I am always surprised a lot of maintenance professionals aren't aware these exist.

Edited by kortopates
  • Like 1