AOPA Insurance

Gary0747

Does anybody know if there has been a change in the way AOPA Insurance is operated?   It is now called Assured Partners AOPA Insurance.  I used to get good service from them.  This year I sent in my flying data and they sat on it for over a month until I called them.  I was told sorry they were very busy and got me a quote that was a 70 percent increase in one day.   No claims ever, 50 hours a year but getting older.   Is going a different route for quotes a better way to go?  I am sure AOPA is taking a cut. 

44 minutes ago, toto said:

AOPA sold all of their accounts to Assured Partners, which is a much larger organization and has been on an acquisition binge. Service has definitely suffered. 

AP is still an AOPA "partner," so theoretically your premium still supports AOPA.

As @toto said, AssuredPartners manages their book.  AOPA likely gets a royalty as many of the affinity programs work this way.  And we can still get the AOPA discount for you that Old Republic and AIG offer, should they be the best option.

29 minutes ago, mike261 said:

I went that route, and yes the service is not as good as it once was. @Parker_Woodruff has my business now. Try him, the personal attention is old school and rare. 

Mike

I appreciate the compliment.  Airspeed is reaching that critical mass where there will soon be a need to hire some talent to keep this level up but we will be sure they are aviation competent and insurance competent so no one feels like they're being "handed off."

In the meantime, I've made some tech investments to help increase my capacity.

• Like 3

I’ll also put a word out for my agent Southwest Aviation insurance. They always have someone to answer the phone when I call and I always seem to have very complex questions that they don’t mind spending time answering. 
I did once have a claim (truck hit me in Mexico) and they helped me through it.  

-Robert 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Parker_Woodruff said:

Even better yours didn't get flagged as a security concern and returned back to me like a couple of them :P.  Someone at the post office must have been practicing for a job at the TSA.

Now I'm curious. Did the shirt show planes flying near important buildings or something?

-Robert

1 minute ago, RobertGary1 said:

Now I'm curious. Did the shirt show planes flying near important buildings or something?

-Robert

They do not allow items weighing more than 10 ounces or I think 1/2 inch thick to be shipped using stamps without being handled by a USPS retail person (I used some spares before creating a Pitney Bowes Account).  They flag it with "GROUND TRANSPORT ONLY" and another sticker and return.

So I took it to a retail agent.  They hand canceled the stamps in person and sent again.

It was returned a few days later with the same two security stickers.

I took it to a retail agent again.  They said the other retail agent should have put a "no postage due" sticker on it.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Parker_Woodruff said:

They do not allow items weighing more than 10 ounces or I think 1/2 inch thick to be shipped using stamps without being handled by a USPS retail person (I used some spares before creating a Pitney Bowes Account).  They flag it with "GROUND TRANSPORT ONLY" and another sticker and return.

So I took it to a retail agent.  They hand canceled the stamps in person and sent again.

It was returned a few days later with the same two security stickers.

I took it to a retail agent again.  They said the other retail agent should have put a "no postage due" sticker on it.

My t shirt arrived a week or two ago, in fine shape. Thank you, sir!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

I’ll also put a word out for my agent Southwest Aviation insurance. They always have someone to answer the phone when I call and I always seem to have very complex questions that they don’t mind spending time answering. 
I did once have a claim (truck hit me in Mexico) and they helped me through it.  

-Robert 

Hit you while on the tarmac I assume?

5 hours ago, Gary0747 said:

Does anybody know if there has been a change in the way AOPA Insurance is operated?   It is now called Assured Partners AOPA Insurance.  I used to get good service from them.  This year I sent in my flying data and they sat on it for over a month until I called them.  I was told sorry they were very busy and got me a quote that was a 70 percent increase in one day.   No claims ever, 50 hours a year but getting older.   Is going a different route for quotes a better way to go?  I am sure AOPA is taking a cut. 

The same thing happened to me a year ago.  Only they did not claim they were busy, but that I was at fault for not responding to their email.  Funny how I never had an email from them in my inbox, junk mail or deleted items.   So like many other Mooney owners I made the switch to @Parker_Woodruff.  He has helped me move between my insurance, canceling my policy while Garmin had the plane and now re-insuring back under my name.  Other than the fact he seems to always answer the phhone and email, he has earned my trust by being around and sharing his inside knowledge about the insurance industry not only here on MS but also during airport visits and events like the Mooney Summit. 

• Like 4