LED Landing/Taxi Lights

mikefox

Anyone have any experience with the latest LED landing lights from Whelen or AeroLEDs?  Since we have an M20J with a single PAR46 in the cowl, the AeroLEDs Sunspot 46LX with both landing and taxi optics is attractive.  Thoughts?  Anyone try the latest Whelen Parmetheus Pro PAR46 light yet?

If you want to buy my $300 parmethiest2 lamp...make me an offer.  It was a great landing light...super bright to illuminate the runway from 2 miles out.   It has no real illumination to offer you taxi wide beam.

for $149 I bought the sunspot and while it only gives me 1 mile runway illumination, it gives me super wide taxi illumination.  I am perfectly happy with one mile runway view.

• Like 3

@mikefox The WAT Parmetheus Pro PAR-46 is the best LED landing light out there in that size on the market. I don't like to bash the competition in public so shoot me a note at gallagheraviationllc@gmail.com and I'll explain why. 

I have dual PAR-46 Parmetheus Pro lights in the wings of my Bonanza and they were a good improvement over the WAT Parmetheus Plus lights. I would definitely consider putting in the brightest light especially since you only have one on your nose. It emits around 176,000 candela power while the Plus version emits around 105,000 candela power. It has a large heat sink on the back to adequate dissipate heat and last up to 10,000 hours of continuous use. I comes with a 5 year warranty, free shipping, no sales tax, and I have them in stock for $599.99. I also have the Plus version in stock for $300.00.

https://www.gallagheraviationllc.com/whelen-aircraft-lighting.html <-- Website

gallagheraviationllc@gmail.com <-- Email

1-833-425-5288 <-- Call me

Parmetheus Pro Flyer.jpg

Parmetheus_Series.pdf

• 2 months later...
On 9/28/2020 at 4:46 PM, larrynimmo said:

If you want to buy my $300 parmethiest2 lamp...make me an offer.  It was a great landing light...super bright to illuminate the runway from 2 miles out.   It has no real illumination to offer you taxi wide beam.

for $149 I bought the sunspot and while it only gives me 1 mile runway illumination, it gives me super wide taxi illumination.  I am perfectly happy with one mile runway view.

$149?  Cheapest I've seen is $650 for Par46

2 hours ago, larrynimmo said:

It’s everywhere on eBay ...

if you want the brightness pencil vision go for the whelen....

if you want to compromise your distance and have a lamp that will double as a taxi...the Aero LED is the way to go.

E576BC4D-DF6D-4947-930D-386C6610F56F.png

^^^ THIS. ^^^ is what I bought.  I don't fly at night and just wanted a daytime recognition light I could leave on all the time and not replace every other day!                     

• Like 1

Here is the installation of an Aero-Lites Fusion 46LR in our 1977 Mooney 201. $159 versus $599 for the Whelen Parmetheus Pro PAR46. The latter likely has better performance, though, it appears to have very late emitters and reflector/heat sink design.

ANMA3661.thumb.jpeg.ffbd63be9c747311f09ff6b1808a7e82.jpeg

Here is a video as well:

16 hours ago, larrynimmo said:

It’s everywhere on eBay ...

if you want the brightness pencil vision go for the whelen....

if you want to compromise your distance and have a lamp that will double as a taxi...the Aero LED is the way to go.

E576BC4D-DF6D-4947-930D-386C6610F56F.png

Ok, I think we are confused.  Your eBay snapshot is from Aero-Lite, not AeroLed.  AeroLed makes the Sunspot.  Aero-Lite makes something called Fusion.  Are you getting the two mixed up?  Sunspot vs Fusion? or did you find some ridiculous deal one day on the Sunspot?

2 hours ago, Nukemzzz said:

Ok, I think we are confused.  Your eBay snapshot is from Aero-Lite, not AeroLed.  AeroLed makes the Sunspot.  Aero-Lite makes something called Fusion.  Are you getting the two mixed up?  Sunspot vs Fusion? or did you find some ridiculous deal one day on the Sunspot?

Aero-Lites are cheap because:

Are any certifications provided with your products?

• Our products are NOT delivered with any application specific certifications. NO product we distribute is approved via FAA-PMA, TSO, STC, DOT or any other certification basis. In general, the LED bulbs we offer are designed to perform as LED equivalent direct replacement bulbs for the respective filament-type incandescent/halogen commercial bulb codes. Each bulb is designed to conform to OEM-design specifications and performance standards including fitment, luminance and working voltage.  By installing any of our products, you agree to the "Terms and conditions" set forth herein. 

1 minute ago, ZuluZulu said:

• Our products are NOT delivered with any application specific certifications. NO product we distribute is approved via FAA-PMA, TSO, STC, DOT or any other certification basis. In general, the LED bulbs we offer are designed to perform as LED equivalent direct replacement bulbs for the respective filament-type incandescent/halogen commercial bulb codes. Each bulb is designed to conform to OEM-design specifications and performance standards including fitment, luminance and working voltage.  By installing any of our products, you agree to the "Terms and conditions" set forth herein. 

The GE incandescent bulbs are made to the same (non-) standard that these are. Makes me wish I'd found them before paying 1/2 AMU for a Whelen LED . . . .

• Like 2

4 hours ago, testwest said:

Here is the installation of an Aero-Lites Fusion 46LR in our 1977 Mooney 201. $159 versus $589 for the Whelen Parmetheus Pro PAR46.

Will have a video up soon.....

FWIW, my Aero-Lites Fusion 46 works great and is still running fine 2 years later.  

5 hours ago, Nukemzzz said:

I guess I did get the term mixed up...but I did pay $150 for the aeroled dual purpose lamp....and it is really good balance of functions 

7 hours ago, testwest said:

Here is the installation of an Aero-Lites Fusion 46LR in our 1977 Mooney 201. $159 versus $589 for the Whelen Parmetheus Pro PAR46.

ANMA3661.thumb.jpeg.ffbd63be9c747311f09ff6b1808a7e82.jpeg

Will have a video up soon.....

Looks just like mine.  Took me all of 15 minutes to install...and, I'll likely NEVER have to do it again.

4 hours ago, ZuluZulu said:

A few comments:

1) So what?  A landing light isn't even required for Part 91; even at night!  (Sorry if my pragmatism is abhorrent)

2) The incandescent build it's replacing isn't TSO certified either!  It is just listed on the TCDS.

3) What's the worst that could happen?  It shorts out and blows the CB?  I can live with that.

4) CYA, like I did, and get your friendly A&P to file a 337 (charged me $50).

Frankly, I should have skipped 4 as I really did it so some future anal retentive buyer wouldn't have a cow if I should ever sell.  It would have been cheaper to just toss back in a POC GE bulb if someone like that should stumble into my life:D

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, OSUAV8TER said:

If you think a $100 LED light performs the same as a Parmetheus Pro you clearly haven't done your homework.

Oh, I did my homework....

If you think a $599.99 LED light is worth $450 MORE than a AeroLites Fusion then you just aren't a CB Mooney owner like me:D

• Like 1

Just now, MikeOH said:

Oh, I did my homework....

If you think a $599.99 LED light is worth $450 MORE than a AeroLites Fusion then you just aren't a CB Mooney owner like me:D

That's fine to be a CB Mooney owner, I get it, and I respect it. But that PAR-46 Parmetheus Pro will outperform that AeroLite all day. It's not even comparable in brightness. 

Here is some interesting lab data Whelen just published. Granted, it's not a full on scientific study but they sent Whelen and AeroLED lights to the lab to get tested.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0080/5598/0128/files/PARMETHEUS-PLUS-46-Lab-Comparisons.pdf?v=1606333315

1 minute ago, OSUAV8TER said:

That's fine to be a CB Mooney owner, I get it, and I respect it. But that PAR-46 Parmetheus Pro will outperform that AeroLite all day. It's not even comparable in brightness. 

Here is some interesting lab data Whelen just published. Granted, it's not a full on scientific study but they sent Whelen and AeroLED lights to the lab to get tested.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0080/5598/0128/files/PARMETHEUS-PLUS-46-Lab-Comparisons.pdf?v=1606333315

Oh, I know it's a lot brighter.  Just not worth $450 more.  If I flew at night I might well find the extra illumination worth it.

• Like 1

Just now, MikeOH said:

Oh, I know it's a lot brighter.  Just not worth $450 more.  If I flew at night I might well find the extra illumination worth it.

Yeah I recommend the Pro to people who do a bit of IFR flying and/or fly into poorly lit airfields at night. 

• Like 1