Flightstream

Glen Davis

Guys,  I would like to add flightstream to my aircraft.  Currently I have a GNS 530W and a GTX330ES Transponder.  That's the extent of my Garmin products.  What do I need to buy and have installed so I can transfer flight plans from my Ipad to my 530?  Also, how can I see traffic on the 530, or is that not possible?  I see the traffic page on the 530 but no traffic shows.

A FS210 is all you would need.  Installed one in my bird and interfaced with the GTX345 and the GTN430 perfectly.  Even if I'm going direct now I enter the airport code in the Ipad and send to panel.  Say good by to spinning the dial! 

I think you have to have a 345 to get the ADSB in.  Best bet would be to get a potable ADSB-In receiver and display that info on an IPad. 

Guys,  I would like to add flightstream to my aircraft.  Currently I have a GNS 530W and a GTX330ES Transponder.  That's the extent of my Garmin products.  What do I need to buy and have installed so I can transfer flight plans from my Ipad to my 530?  Also, how can I see traffic on the 530, or is that not possible?  I see the traffic page on the 530 but no traffic shows.

Look at GDL 84 with 210 FS (they’re packaged together).
The 210 will talk to the 530 through a RS232 interface.
  • Like 1

Also if you do not plan on building out a Garmin Glass panel anytime in the future you could also look at selling the 530W and getting a IFD540 which would have Bluetooth built in already and you would get a GPS with new technology.  Im sure a few people on here could talk you into that! 

• Like 2

I agree with@flyinaggie14. Hard to go wrong with Avidyne if you already have a 530 or 430. Direct replacement and built in Bluetooth. Free IFD100 app for remote iPad control. Another selling point for IFR flying with Avidyne vs G Jeppesen’s nav data packages are about half the cost and you get the full US. No west central eastern section. That way if you happen to fly from Oregon to Oshkosh once a year you don’t have to worry about not having your data go blank crossing the Mississippi:) BUY AVIDYNE...:) Avidyne fan boy out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Also if you do not plan on building out a Garmin Glass panel anytime in the future you could also look at selling the 530W and getting a IFD540 which would have Bluetooth built in already and you would get a GPS with new technology.  Im sure a few people on here could talk you into that! 

Costs only $14000, and you still wouldn’t have traffic or weather.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ArtVandelay said:

Costs only $14000, and you still wouldn’t have traffic or weather.

Well you can trade in the 530W as I linked above and it only costs 8k but you are correct you would still need a traffic/weather solution.  If the goal is to do things cheap then just install the FS210 and get a Sentry for 2k(FS210 1K, Install .5K, Sentry .5K) but you would only be able to see traffic/weather on ipad not in panel. If you go the GDL 84 you are now at 4.5k before install to add weather and traffic in panel.  

I personally do not think that adding traffic and weather in panel is worth the 4k unless you currently have or plan to add a glass panel such as the Aspen or G3X to display the traffic/weather.  I find in my personal set up with a 430W that I never look at traffic or weather on the GPS display but instead only have it displayed on Foreflight. When I get my G3X installed I'm sure that will change and I will relegate the IPad to the far corner of the panel in favor of the G3X being my primary display. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jlunseth said:

The 510 would give you greater functionality, such as loading GPS navdata wirelessly, but it is card that works only with the GTNs. It is more expensive than the 210.

I disagree with you. You gain concierge data updates and lose ADHRS with the 510, but only if he spends $13-$17k upgrading to the GTN series of navigators.  The FS210 will make his 530W feel like a whole new box when he can flight plan at home and data dump flight plans with the 210.  He can also feed a full suite of wireless data to his chosen EFB. His twist, find, enter, twist, find enter days are over!

Given he has made no plans to rip and replace the 530W/330ES, the Flightstream 210 is a fabulous idea and the cheapest way to breath a new life into the GNS. :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Unit74 said:

He can also feed a full suite of wireless data to his chosen EFB. His twist, find, enter, twist, find enter days are over!

Maybe, maybe not: "Works with the Garmin Pilot™, ForeFlight Mobile and FltPlan Go apps as well as aera 660/795/796"

Just to be clear, that leaves several others out...

On 9/29/2020 at 3:31 PM, vorlon1 said:

Maybe, maybe not: "Works with the Garmin Pilot™, ForeFlight Mobile and FltPlan Go apps as well as aera 660/795/796"

Just to be clear, that leaves several others out...

Garmin and ForeFlight own the EFB market. Period. Those who are using the others are generally anti-big guy type of people who want to walk a different path and enjoy trying to get others to do the same. If someone says they won’t do a Flightstream because it doesn’t support Fly Q et al., well, they can keep press, turn, turn, enter, turn enter, turn, turn, turn, enter all they want.  If they want to push one button on an iPad and be done, they have that choice to make.  

the first time they get a “ prepare to copy new route” and feel that chill of WTF, they will be a believer when a couple taps on the iPad a push to Connext, and activate new flight plan comes up.  The wow factor is realized. Rubber banding around weather has the same effect, but not as dramatic. It’s honestly cheating to me given I grew up on steam/VOR/ADF and only went EFB/GPS 4 years ago. Cheating!

Edited by Unit74
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Jim Peace said:

Flightstream 510 is awesome.....Garmin pilot and foreflight allowing you to flight plan waypoints at home that dont exist in the GTN is priceless...

As long as you have a GTN and another source of ADHRS. Otherwise its a moot point. The OP has a GNS. Sure wish people would read posts sometimes. Would clear out the clutter.

See if you can point out the anti-big guys people around here...  :)

1) It was cool being a Garmin fan when they were two X-BK guys named Gary and Min....  now they are the big guys, and BK is getting harder to find...

2) Avidyne was such a small guy selling hope and a prayer, and would take your deposit money while promising You a due date... their discount for the pre-production sales looked too good to be true. Now, since Avidyne delivered on the hopes and prayers and has a very competitive, if not better product in many respects... They don’t seem to be staying small like BK is...

3) Speaking of Hope and a prayer... and coming through the FAA wringer.... Dynon stopped by yesterday... please fill out their survey...  nothing puts financial control on a company like good competition... Their big color nav screens are getting great initial reviews around MS...

4) It can be tough being a little guy... Time tries to march on without you... and the market can trample what gets left in its wake... Ask the Narco guys... they struggled with the evolution into the digital age.... then got run over...

So... go little guy... but, when you achieve success.... don’t become a big guy...  :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

On 10/7/2020 at 11:31 AM, Bentonck said:

Will the FS210 work with the legacy G1000 panel as well?

No, the 210 is only for the GTN and GNS navigators.

Separately, another vote here for the FS210. I did my most of my IR training on a 650 and struggled mightily with the knob spinning when I flew with a 430. I still hesitate at times when navigating the menus, but with an FS 210 at least entering flight plans is a cinch--better than the 650 even.

• Like 1

But a 510 requires no Garmin Dealer installation.  You simply replace your data chip with the 510.
Voila

Technically I think you’ll need a radio shop to sign off the 510 install. Garmin won’t sell a 510 directly to certified aircraft owners (you would have to buy the experimental version).

I would hope that most shops would do this for a minimum amount of labor, but still.

On 10/10/2020 at 10:53 AM, toto said:

Technically I think you’ll need a radio shop to sign off the 510 install. Garmin won’t sell a 510 directly to certified aircraft owners (you would have to buy the experimental version).

I would hope that most shops would do this for a minimum amount of labor, but still.

Also, you will need to load your terrain data onto the 510 as card....and to do it you will need a USB powered card reader.    The 510 needs power to do its thing...laptop computer card readers aren’t powered.  If you don’t do this...no terrain on the GTN.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, larrynimmo said:

Also, you will need to load your terrain data onto the 510 as card....and to do it you will need a USB powered card reader.    The 510 needs power to do its thing...laptop computer card readers aren’t powered.  If you don’t do this...no terrain on the GTN.

I updated my TERRAIN from fly.garmin.com to my FS510 yesterday on my PC.

The first upgrade I had when I got my J two years ago was the FS210.

With an IPad on the yoke and two 430w’s in the panel it made sense for 2 amu installed. The big difference for me, flying in the NE busy airspace, is when ATC calls you to amend your route. Type it on ForeFlight, check it, send it to the 430, check it, and done. 430’s don’t have V airways in their database, so inputing all waypoints by hand means you’re not flying the plane for a looooong time while twisting knobs in IMC. I thought of it as a safety issue.  

• Like 2