The Mother of all Annuals

gsxrpilot

Just jumping in to say I was fortunate enough to catch a ride with Paul this weekend in his 252-come-Encore.  We had occasion to take it all the way up to FL180 - highest and fastest I've ever been in a piston airplane.  It was still developing full rated MP at that altitude, climbing at roughly 1000 fpm, and with the engine up at finish-the-breakin settings, truing just a hair under 200 knots.  I know a brand new Acclaim comes with cupholders and all that, but it's hard to imagine a more capable piston single than N252AD.  Well worth the wait.

Edited by Vance Harral
  • Like 3

Thanks for posting the update, Paul.  I've been silently following with interest.  The speed brakes and entry step are the last vacuum-operated items in our plane.  We even bought the electric step kit, but after seeing how much money and work it would be to do the speed brakes, the step kit is sitting on the shelf until those fail.

I would really like to hear about how the new 220 HP engine does on the takeoff roll at your new max gross weight, after you've finished dialing it in.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to hear you got your plane back and all is well. My current saga is much like yours. Plane went into the shop mid-December, engine went to Jewell mid-late January, and they just got it back last Friday. So I should be about 5-6 weeks behind you on getting her back into the air. I also switched to the 100 series electric speedbrakes and my installation looks much like yours but will be painted to match the wing. I opted to keep the vacuum pump however just to drive the secondary/backup attitude indicator.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2021 at 11:46 AM, gsxrpilot said:

JD and Laura worked seemingly around the clock to get it back in the plane and finish up the last few items on the list. I went to Texas on the 29th of March with the intention to stay until the job was finished and then fly it home. I was there two weeks. The first week was consumed just finishing up the install. There are just so many things involved with the installation of a turbo engine. It's a big job. The second week was a lot of testing, engine runs, setting up the fuel flow, RPM, and MP for the new engine and new settings. The max MP is now 39", max RPM is 2600, and FF is around 25 gph. 

Thanks for the detailed update, Paul. Very interesting to hear of your experience.

As I learned in my last year's Annual From Hell, you are dead nuts on about the complications of installing a rebuilt turbo engine. The previous owner of my 231 chose to cheap out when installing the rebuilt engine in 2016, so the cost of getting it done right was passed downstream to me in 2020. 

Yes, there are regrets about having to spend the time and money to do these things as they are supposed to be done, but in the end you get an airplane that runs as it is supposed to and that you can rely on to not fall out of the sky under you! This is, in the end, worth the cost. 

• Like 2

On 5/1/2021 at 8:39 AM, CoffeeCan said:

James, glad to hear you’re finally getting your bird back. Keep us posted on progress, please. 

I certainly will. It's also a "firewall forward" job so the engine mount came off for some work, the prop and governor got some attention, and all the wires and whatnot will be tidied up... just to name a few. But like you said, well worth it in the long run to spend the extra time and money doing it right. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

@gsxrpilot

Hi Paul, any news to report on getting new mid gear doors fabricated by Mooney? I am hoping to complete my Encore upgrade during my annual in Jan 2022 and I am wondering how much lead time I need to plan for to get these parts made. I have pretty much given up hope of finding inner and mid doors on the used market.

On 5/1/2021 at 2:05 PM, CoffeeCan said:

As I learned in my last year's Annual From Hell, you are dead nuts on about the complications of installing a rebuilt turbo engine. The previous owner of my 231 chose to cheap out when installing the rebuilt engine in 2016, so the cost of getting it done right was passed downstream to me in 2020. 

Something I don't get, and I'm not trying to be negative or confrontational.  These airplanes are certificated, so I always thought there was rather a standard way to install something important, like the engine.  How does one "cheap out" on an engine install?

15 minutes ago, steingar said:

Something I don't get, and I'm not trying to be negative or confrontational.  These airplanes are certificated, so I always thought there was rather a standard way to install something important, like the engine.  How does one "cheap out" on an engine install?

Not change out the engine mounts, replace hoses, ducts, etc.  would be some of the ways.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, steingar said:

I’m not an A&P, so don’t take my word for it... but using all the old exhaust system components, hoses, belts, wires and cables as was done on mine is a good start on cheaping out. 

I’m not an A&P, so don’t take my word for it... but using all the old exhaust system components, hoses, belts, wires and cables as was done on mine is a good start on cheaping out. 

Add to that resurfacing instead of replacing the cam and tappets, not overhauling or even flushing the oil cooler or the prop governor, over size boring all the cylinders instead of replacing with overhauled or new cylinders, the list is probably longer….all apparently allowable for an overhaul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk