The Mother of all Annuals

gsxrpilot

1 hour ago, Tim Jodice said:

Between having withdrawals from not being able to fly it AND that it is going to be an even better airplane than before you must be super excited for the day you get to push the throttle forward for the first time on you new airplane!

Oh, you have no idea!

What makes an SB?  Same internals just tuned for more boost?  And is 39 inches allowed continuous?

Essentially just boosted another 10 HP with more fuel, 3" more MAP, and 100 less rpm. Different fuel pump, controller and governor and some exhaust hardware does it with a data plate change. Very easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, thinwing said:

so how reliable are the juggs on these boosted 360s???Do they typically go to TBO??

I believe they will go to TBO if I treat them right.

I've got the right engine monitor, I know how to read it, I use it religiously, and upload the data regularly so @kortopates can check my procedure and process.

With all that, I'm confident I'll get this set to TBO as well.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jlunseth said:

Paul, just of out curiousity, what happens with the GAMIs. Do you buy a new set given a new engine?

I'm sure I'll be using the same GAMI's. Other than the fuel pump, nothing in the fuel system has changed, so the GAMI's should still work all in the same locations. At least that's how I understand it.

You might talk to them. They are sized to produce the correct fuel flow to each cylinder, which depends on a whole bunch of things, but if you are re-using the same cylinders (except one I guess) and the same induction manifold and the same spider, chances are the old ones will work. 

2 hours ago, jlunseth said:

You might talk to them. They are sized to produce the correct fuel flow to each cylinder, which depends on a whole bunch of things, but if you are re-using the same cylinders (except one I guess) and the same induction manifold and the same spider, chances are the old ones will work. 

I think Paul @gsxrpilot nailed it above. On there webpage they say they'll charge you half price for fresh set if you want to go that route. But what I recommed to my clients is just repeat the Savvy Test profile when you're past the critical break-in period and see how you're doing. If a gami injector swap is warranted, I have yet to see John-Paul charge anyone when its the same owner. The only counter example I can think of is that I have a client that had his injectors all screwed up by the prior owner trrying to even out CHTs (or maybe it was EGTs) rather than getting them to peak simultaneously (long story buy the PO was mis-informed). Plus recent swaps had been made on the old engine to make up for some significant engine issues. Anyway, after overhaul his spread was pretty bad and probably the old injectors where adding to it and my client really did need to start over with fresh set. I believe he did pay a discounted price for a new set to start over. But I doubt that is at all typical, but very rare. I am here to help with that, through Savvy, if you go through that. 

• Like 1

Hi Paul,

I looked at my bird yesterday and it has the engine and prop mounted and the shop is working on putting the gear and flight controls back on the plane.  So I guess my 252 is an Encore.  It should be ready to fly hopefully by the end of next week.  I did a Factory Reman on the SB engine, do you know if I can do GAMIs right away or do I have to wait for the warranty to expire?

• Like 2

Properly installed Gamis are going to be an improvement that is beneficial to the engine...

Odd that it would somehow be a challenge for the warranty...

Sounds like a question to ask the warranty holder, for sure...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic or a lawyer...

Best regards,

-a-

On 2/2/2021 at 5:47 PM, N252FA said:

Hi Paul,

I looked at my bird yesterday and it has the engine and prop mounted and the shop is working on putting the gear and flight controls back on the plane.  So I guess my 252 is an Encore.  It should be ready to fly hopefully by the end of next week.  I did a Factory Reman on the SB engine, do you know if I can do GAMIs right away or do I have to wait for the warranty to expire?

Congrats on getting yours finished up. Jewell has said they'll ship my engine back to SWTA on the 12th. So I'm guessing with transit times, it will be two weeks after that before I'm flying. 

I would run the Savvy Test Profile after your break-in is done to see if you even need the GAMI's. But then I'd get them if you need them.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2021 at 6:42 AM, ArtVandelay said:

I went with an Airpath, it really cleans up the view (compass replaced ammeter which I no longer needed because JPI 900 ).

ad0be29f24bf740e20013b8d010c8a9a.jpg

Art- I can’t quite see is the frame for the air path angled out to account for the angled panel? 

• Like 1

Hi Paul,  Just curious if you are doing the engine mount?   I ended up sending mine to AWI, and I would use them again.  

Anyway, my engine overhaul adventure is nearing the end.  I'm very much hoping I get my plane back by the end of the month.   The hard part is staying IFR current while the plane is down.

11 hours ago, chrisk said:

Hi Paul,  Just curious if you are doing the engine mount?   I ended up sending mine to AWI, and I would use them again.  

Anyway, my engine overhaul adventure is nearing the end.  I'm very much hoping I get my plane back by the end of the month.   The hard part is staying IFR current while the plane is down.

I'll have to check with JD. I'm not sure if we are.

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update to this saga...

Jewell finished the engine overhaul and it has been delivered back to JD and SWTA in Smithville, TX. It's been pulled out of the crate and JD's been going over it carefully to make sure everything is correct and as expected. 

Hopefully I'll be able to post updates on a regular basis as we get closer to wrapping up this one and getting her back in the air.

I plan to head to Smithville somewhere around the 28th - 30th of this month to start flying and go through the break in process. I intend to have it 100% completed before flying it back to Denver.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

I plan to head to Smithville somewhere around the 28th - 30th of this month to start flying and go through the break in process. I intend to have it 100% completed before flying it back to Denver.

You might want to move up your trip some, unless you really enjoy shoveling snow . . . .

16 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Just a quick update to this saga...

Jewell finished the engine overhaul and it has been delivered back to JD and SWTA in Smithville, TX. It's been pulled out of the crate and JD's been going over it carefully to make sure everything is correct and as expected. 

Hopefully I'll be able to post updates on a regular basis as we get closer to wrapping up this one and getting her back in the air.

Paul Ill be over that way at that time also. See ya then

• Like 1