Bendix Mags.... Advice Requested

V1VRV2

15 minutes ago, V1VRV2 said:

My Ovation 02 has 285HRS on the engine since new but is 5 yrs old. There is an SB for a mag overhaul of 500hrs or 4 years since in service. What is my best option here? Overhaul mags or inspect and replace as needed? 

how well spread out are those hours?

Nobody on MS has followed age of mags as a guide for their inspection... not required for our Part of GA... in the USA...

Canada has some age limitations on some aircraft parts that can be quite onorus...

My mags are probably in year eight...

Sounds like great logic to use if you wanted to get an electric mag...   :)

PP thoughts only, let me know if you see anything different...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

When I last checked the price between overhaul vs inspect/repair didn’t seem to be a big difference, I figured I would overhaul.  I just replaced one of my mag’s with a SureFly and I am keeping the removed magneto as a spare. When it comes up to the 500hr mark for the remaining mag I will send the removed mag out for overhaul so it will ready to go. My plan is to reduce the down time and have a functional spare at all times in the event the remaining mag unexpectedly fails. The SureFly is good for 2400 hours.

• Like 2

Absolutely no need to Overhaul the mag till the engine is overhauled. The 500 hr is an inspection requirement - not an overhaul. 500 hrs inspections are pretty affordable when done by Mag specialty shops. I use Aero Accessories in Van Nuys, CA; which I recall is being well under $500. 

Although the time interval is by hours, many mags fail from corrosion and ozone damage to the nylon gear over time. That said, NA aircraft mags tends to do quite well over time whereas pressurized turbo mags don't last nearly as long since they get pumped with moisture laden air. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, V1VRV2 said:

My Ovation 02 has 285HRS on the engine since new but is 5 yrs old. There is a SB for a mag overhaul of 500hrs or 4 years since in service. What is my best option here? Overhaul mags or inspect and replace as needed? 

59 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

I would leave them alone for another 250 hrs...

Agree.  Unless they are exhibiting symptoms, fly them up to +/- 500 hours and then exchange them for rebuilt.  You won’t save much at all going with OH vs. rebuilt.

Steve

• Like 2

Our flight department operates a 1998 Extra 300L aerobatic plane with just over 200 hours on it. At the 20 year mark, one of the condensers finally failed and the magneto produced unsteady performance. It took 20 years before any problems cropped up, and even then, it was a simple fix. 

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

I would caution against exchanging mags, since you have low time original magnetos. You are better off having the 500 hour inspections done, and this does not require a specialty shop. You may be able to find a relatively local mechanic who isn't afraid of magneto service. There are several of us around the country that do magneto service better than you will get from the large accessory shops. 

If you can't, then you'll have to send them to a good mag shop for the 500 hour service, not an overhaul. Your Bendix mags will outlast your engine, with just the 500 hour services done on schedule.