Long Haul Seat Cushion

hmasing

Hey, Mooniacs!

I redid my interior upholstery last summer and replaced all the original foam in the seats.  I've also added sheepskin covers, which are great to keep the sweat down to a minimum.

The issue I'm facing is that in a long flight (> 2 hours) I find my butt starts to REALLY hurt.  I often fly 5+ hour legs and have gotten a memory foam insert to go under my Brad Pitt Lookalike Buttocks, but it's not cutting it.

Anyone have recommendations for seat cushions that may help out for the long rides?  Part of the issue I'm facing is that in my '68F I sit more horizontally than vertically, so my knees are kind of high relative to my hips.

Thanks!

24 minutes ago, hmasing said:

Hey, Mooniacs!

I redid my interior upholstery last summer and replaced all the original foam in the seats.  I've also added sheepskin covers, which are great to keep the sweat down to a minimum.

The issue I'm facing is that in a long flight (> 2 hours) I find my butt starts to REALLY hurt.  I often fly 5+ hour legs and have gotten a memory foam insert to go under my Brad Pitt Lookalike Buttocks, but it's not cutting it.

Anyone have recommendations for seat cushions that may help out for the long rides?  Part of the issue I'm facing is that in my '68F I sit more horizontally than vertically, so my knees are kind of high relative to my hips.

Thanks!

https://www.oregonaero.com/seating-systems/seating-systems-overview

You may need some lumbar support.

• Like 1

Lance’s recommendation also has insight on how to build up various layers of foam to achieve the most comfort...

A highly refined seat to match the highly refined Brad like buttocks should work pretty well...

A few MSers have had the same(?) challenge... :)

There are pics around here of people designing and Gluing and sawing foam parts... To fit under their existing seat covers or when adding to their new seat covers...

Funky 3D designs show up with giant side bolsters.... perfect for the cork screw at Laguna... where lateral gs are important...

Best regards,

-a-

I was talking to a neighbor that has his shop next to me. He races formula 1000 cars. He was showing me how they make their custom molded race seats with foam and plastic bags. They then use spray contact cement to cover them with material. They are virtually rock hard but he’s says since they are molded that they are supper comfortable as a result of the support. Since the seat bottoms of my Eagle are simply velco’d on in place I was going to make a seat bottom this way and try it out. 

My non-aviation-related $0.02: You want the firmest possible cushion. Softer means your sitbones will press through the foam and come to rest on the seat pan. My Vulcan 900 has a very firm Mustang seat and I can ride it all day. The squishy OEM seat, I'm squirming after an hour.

Possibly a foam in place packaging solution... (Karson’s idea above...) I guess at name spelling all the time... sometime I am even close... if I remember the name at all...  :)

https://www.foam-in-place-systems.com

Packaging your butt for long distance traveling...

Great for shipping sensitive items...

PP thoughts only, not a professional packaging engineer...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

23 hours ago, carusoam said:

Possibly a foam in place packaging solution... (Karson’s idea above...) I guess at name spelling all the time... sometime I am even close... if I remember the name at all...  :)

https://www.foam-in-place-systems.com

Packaging your butt for long distance traveling...

Great for shipping sensitive items...

PP thoughts only, not a professional packaging engineer...

Best regards,

-a-

Nailed it!

• Like 1