Strikefinder advice

anthonydesmet

I have an insight strike finder and over the last six months it seems it has become less sensitive (I.e looking at thunderstorm about 10 o’clock 20 to 50 miles) and no indication on the strike finder.  Plus red LED lights fading a little.  Anyone experience this?  Does Insight have an overhaul time period? Cost?  Really not looking to get into debate of stormscopes/strikefinder and XM weather, etc.  I do have XM on Garmin and ForeFlight but like the strikefinder as part of my weather avoidance plan.

17 hours ago, anthonydesmet said:
I have an insight strike finder and over the last six months it seems it has become less sensitive (I.e looking at thunderstorm about 10 o’clock 20 to 50 miles) and no indication on the strike finder.  Plus red LED lights fading a little.  Anyone experience this?  Does Insight have an overhaul time period? Cost?  Really not looking to get into debate of stormscopes/strikefinder and XM weather, etc.  I do have XM on Garmin and ForeFlight but like the strikefinder as part of my weather avoidance plan.

I would give Insight a call and talk with them about it. I had an Insight GEM installed back in the 1990s and found their customer support very accommodating (needed a new probe).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by Marauder
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

Does anyone know if a Stormscope or Strike Finder will fit in the panel of 1974 M20C and advice on used type/model to seek out?

My avionics shop is reluctant to quote over phone being concerned not enough depth behind panel to accommodate in a C model.  They have not physically inspected to verify space available. I was considering combining a lightning device install with a GFC 500 & HSI install already scheduled late summer while panel opened up. Would use the hole from the CDI being removed for the HSI, pilot side, mid-panel, just right of gear handle. I do not have another suitable MFD screen to remotely display lightening info (IFD440 too small and cluttered). Thanks.

On 9/26/2020 at 4:43 PM, anthonydesmet said:

...Does Insight have an overhaul time period? Cost?  Really not looking to get into debate of stormscopes/strikefinder and XM weather, etc... 

If you want to have yours looked at, reach out to Jim Traves at Insight  905-871-0733  techsupport@insightavionics.com

I had mine upgraded to the LED display a while ago.  At the time it was around $1,400. 

But another option might be to check around and see if you can find a used Strike Finder or Storm Scope that was pulled  out with all the panel work that has been going on the last year or so.  You may find one at a good price.  Had I really thought about all the units that were going to become available shortly after I had mine upgraded, I might have waited.  But I am comfortable with my "known" unit which never had any issues now upgraded and given a full checkout.

I have a Strikefinder in my 1967 M20F but it needs to be as close as possible to the centre stack otherwise it doesn't fit as there is a steel bar from the cage structure that goes diagonally across and interferes with the long Strikefinder body. You also have to watch out for the control column.

I also had my unit overhauled by Insight and they were very helpful. They usually want the antenna shipped with it as well. 

Edited by podair

On 4/4/2021 at 9:15 AM, FlySafe said:

Does anyone know if a Stormscope or Strike Finder will fit in the panel of 1974 M20C and advice on used type/model to seek out?

My avionics shop is reluctant to quote over phone being concerned not enough depth behind panel to accommodate in a C model.  They have not physically inspected to verify space available. I was considering combining a lightning device install with a GFC 500 & HSI install already scheduled late summer while panel opened up. Would use the hole from the CDI being removed for the HSI, pilot side, mid-panel, just right of gear handle. I do not have another suitable MFD screen to remotely display lightening info (IFD440 too small and cluttered). Thanks.

If you're going to do a new install and you have something to use as a display in the panel (GNS, GTN, IFD, etc) I would look for a used WX-500. It is compatible with almost anything with a screen and is much more reliable than the old screen.processor units.

If you're going to do a new install and you have something to use as a display in the panel (GNS, GTN, IFD, etc) I would look for a used WX-500. It is compatible with almost anything with a screen and is much more reliable than the old screen.processor units.

Are these manufactured anymore? I never see a new one.

On 4/4/2021 at 9:15 AM, FlySafe said:

My 66 C has a StormScope:

20210303_123218.jpg

Thank you all for your advice on a  stormscope strikefiinder in a C model.  I like the ideal of the wx500 displaying on the ifd. my 440 screen may not be large enough to provide an adequate view of overplayed strikes on the moving map but it does bypass the issue of CRT and plasma displays going bad.  I also found out that the G5 HSI will not drive the slaved display on the wx950 or strikefinder. thanks for the assist.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

FWIW, ADSB now provides lightning information, I don’t usually fly when thunderstorms are around so I can’t comment on its accuracy or lag time. XM may as well.

All ADS-B weather has the same lag, 10-15 minutes or more before it is broadcast. So whatever the time lag shown on the display, add at least 15 minutes. 

The proper use is in strategic planning, how to go around the storm or to land short and wait it out.

For tactical planning, how to go between buildups and find gaps to squeeze through to escape from a bad spot, you need immediate information from a source like a StormScope. They are invaluable in the Southern summer!

Gotcha one!  :P

• Like 1

. For tactical planning, how to go between buildups and find gaps to squeeze through to escape from a bad spot, you need immediate information from a source like a StormScope.

And yet there’s the warning:

“Never use your Stormscope system to attempt to penetrate a thunderstorm.”

5 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

And yet there’s the warning:

“Never use your Stormscope system to attempt to penetrate a thunderstorm.”

No! Never penetrate a thunderstorm for any reason at all!!!

But the stormscope can show you a way out if you get too close, or if they build around you faster than you anticipated. 

The real utility flying IMC when TCs are forecast, because then you can't see the build-ups to dodge, just stay away from the lightning marks on the Scope.

No, never fly into a thunderstorm.  We did in 1984 just north of San Angelo, Texas.  Embedded, back then ATC radar wasn't as good as it is today, at least in that area.  Shook us like two rocks in an empty beer can.  Kept the shiny side up but it wasn't fun for a couple minutes.  When we got home, wife said we weren't going to do that again.  I agreed.  Bought a 3M Stormscope the next month.  Next 5000 hours, never took a weather vector from ATC.  I always initiated a deviation.  I often declined a vector from ATC as straight ahead looked better than their turn. I did fly through some heavy rain and some very bumpy clouds, but never into any dots on the 'scope.  98% Of the time you can fly straight ahead knowing a thurnderstorm was not in your path.  Around 1990, 3M had an advertisement telling the way to use a Stormscope is simply not flying into the dots.  I wrote to them that their lawyers must be in cardiac arrest with that instruction but it is exactly correct. 

All models are adequate for use.  Later models are supposedly better because gyro stabilization and firmware to alleviate radial spread.  Neither is a big deal.  Hold a heading for a couple minutes, evaluate the display, hit the clear button, fly a couple more minutes, evaluate, change heading as needed, repeat.  Very active weather, no need to even hit the clear button as the memory fills and clears the old.  Radial spread is obvious, active weather, a bunch of dots appear in the vicinity of that weather and a line of dots directly toward you.  Once seen a dozen times it is obvious what is going on.  Even the lowly WX8 (have one now) works exactly the same way except lighted segments instead of individual dots. Simple presentation, simple to read, simple to understand.

• Like 2