G1000 auto squelch problem

Alan Maurer

Hello Mooniacs, I have a weird problem. Flying along suddenly I could not hear my own voice in my ears using my Bose headset. I went to my local avionics shop and they

ordered a new audio box for the G1000 which did nothing. They then fiddled and fiddled and found that if I left the manual squelch pushing in (little light on) and pushed in the volume

control at the bottom to light up the SQ function and leave the manual squelch on, everything works fine. But, if I turn the manual SQ off to go back to volume control

the problem re occurs. I can just leave it pushed on but that is not a solution....just a work around.  Has anyone had this problem and maybe solved it?  Airplane is a 2008 M20R

with the G1000 in use at that time. Thanks Guys

Alan Maurer, N913ND

Alan,

Let’s see if I can describe the issue a touch differently...

When you talk into the mic, you didn’t hear the side-tone...

AKA you couldn’t hear yourself talk...

Side-tone is a bit of a complex setting that gets goofed up during the set-up (usually)...

It takes a bit of effort, to get the balance correct... so everybody hears everybody else... and when somebody pushes the PTT switch...

I don’t see how this is attached to the squelch adjustment at all...

Does this describe what you are experiencing?

With the new box, it sounds like they may need to go through the proper set-up again...

For Garmin issues.. please press Trek Lawler, often found at BT...

PP thoughts only, not versed in audio panels at all...

MS does have a really good audio panel guy... aka PSE...

Best regards,

-a-

Hi,I sent an e mail to Trek Lawler so hope to hear back. I believe when all is working properly , the G1000 does all squelch adjustments automatically and the pilot should never have to use the manual squelch. In my case now, if I leave the G1000 in manual squelch mode (tiny light on) I can adjust it if I push the volume dial in (which makes the SQ light come on. If I push the round dial in again the tiny volume light 9bottom left) comes back on. This aspect of the G1000 system could be a little bit more user friendly. I would like to know why the auto squelch stopped working.

Tailwinds

Alan

• Like 1