Panel adventure - what would you do?

FlyingCanuck

44 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

I would not install another 430, they are 20+ years old...if paying to install, get something new, especially considering the installation is a large part of the cost.
Installing a 430 today would be like installing an cassette deck in your car.

hey LP's are coming back, never know about cassettes, just sayin

7 hours ago, FlyingCanuck said:

Updating this thread - closing in on purchase of a M20F. It will have:

GNS430W
STEC 60-2 w GPSS
HSI
Stratus ADS-B
Fuel Fuel + digital EGT/CHT

It needs:

A new second radio (current KX175 is inop) - would you do COM only? NAV/COM? GPS/COM? Or a used 2nd GNS430W?
A new audio panel (has a legacy analog audio panel)
Maybe G5s (replace the AI + HSI one day)

What would you all suggest? Esp. regarding the 2nd radio: COM, NAV/COM, GPS/COM, or GNS430W?

Typical mission is 200-400 nm IFR.

Playing with OPM here, but if the budget is unlimited ... I would get a GTN 750(Xi) for #1, then move the 430W to #2.  Nice, used 750's are going for, ballpark, $10-12k if you want to avoid paying full retail for the Xi.

If the budget is REALLY unlimited, sell the 430W and replace with either a GTN 650(Xi), GNC 355, or -- if you just want a NAV/COMM -- GNC 255A.  You could save a little money with a COMM-only GTR 225, but flying that much IFR, I would think you'd be better off with more functionality. 

If the budget is limited or you just want a 1:1 radio replacement, I would probably get a GNC 355.  That will give you more robust MFD capability than the 430W offers, and you won't even need a Flight Stream to transfer flight plans from an iPad.

If you pull the trigger on a GTN 750, look into the remote GMA 35c audio panel -- I love mine.  Otherwise, I'm sure almost everyone here will point you toward a PMA450B.

8 hours ago, FlyingCanuck said:

Updating this thread - closing in on purchase of a M20F. It will have:

GNS430W
STEC 60-2 w GPSS
HSI
Stratus ADS-B
Fuel Fuel + digital EGT/CHT

It needs:

A new second radio (current KX175 is inop) - would you do COM only? NAV/COM? GPS/COM? Or a used 2nd GNS430W?
A new audio panel (has a legacy analog audio panel)
Maybe G5s (replace the AI + HSI one day)

What would you all suggest? Esp. regarding the 2nd radio: COM, NAV/COM, GPS/COM, or GNS430W?

Typical mission is 200-400 nm IFR.

Sounds like funds may be limited... for a year. (Typical timing to get through the first annual...)

If you need a second nav com now... see what is residing on the pre-flown avionics shelf...

Sliding in a used radio in place of what you have already may be perfect for at least a year...

There are so many other things to spend dough on...

If you need a second nav/com to identify intersections using VORs only...

To check the shelf inventory... check in with Alan Fox...

Best regards,

-a- 

• Like 1