N3275F ('67 M20F) total engine failure, safe emergency landing at Dulles

Happened on Sept. 15.   Looks like a pushrod departed the aircraft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A_iV7s-9IA

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N3275F

Anyone we know?  Whoever the pilot was handled it really well -- calmly and professionally.  If you're the pilot it would be great to hear the first-person version. 

(Apologies if this is already covered elsewhere; didn't see it.)

• Like 5

First I have seen of this particular event...

Part ejected from the engine followed by a lot of uncontained oil...

Report of total power loss followed...

The edited version of YouTube video is pretty much click bate... probably by somebody making a living via YouTube...

It would be great to get the whole story without the sensationalism...

Losing parts and oil and power and getting on the ground is sensational enough... :)

Best regards,

-a-

Ha, yeah.  VASAviation _is_ a private pilot, but "ain't from around here" and tends to sensationalize a little (might just be a translation thing).  I know he misses the transcription of radio calls fairly often, even if he gets the gist of it correct most of the time.  Still pretty decent.

Don't know the incident pilot or the plane, but a quick search shows the plane is a rental from Monticello Flying Club based at KCHO (Charlottesville, VA).

Good job by all involved!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Hey all,

late to the party but a friend just sent this to me. I was the PIC (also, instructor with student) of this flight. Feel free to reach out with any questions 

@Rprieb, thanks for posting. We created the safety section so we could have objective discussion about safety, incidents, and how to learn from others. This is all to drive home a safety culture that makes us all better aviators.

Whatever insights and/or lessons learned you're willing to share will be paying it forward. Share only what you are comfortable with.

Your Friendly Safety Mod

13 hours ago, Rprieb said:

late to the party but a friend just sent this to me. I was the PIC (also, instructor with student) of this flight. Feel free to reach out with any questions 

Thanks for the post, Rprieb.  Again, that was a textbook example of how a good pilot handles an emergency!  If you have any other links (NASA report?) that would provide more info or "the rest of the story," I'm sure there would be a lot of interest. 

13 hours ago, Rprieb said:

Hey all,

Well done sir!

I also had a engine out dead stick landing a few years ago.  Quite a thing!  Thank goodness for training.  And thank goodness for a strong dose of luck too.

E