Garmin GFC 500 Costs

MichMooney201

All,

I have begun preparation for a GFC500 AP into the J, trying to figure out G5's vs GI 275's, what nav/comm's to switch to and all the other considerations with this upgrade.  I am curious if some of you who have already done this could share some of the installation costs you have incurred.  There are numerous good avionics shops around the midwest and I am seeing a large delta in quotes, and I feel not everyone wants to be working on Mooneys... Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

What if those details were already shared...

Could you find them?

Would they apply to your plane?

How would you know?

Open honest question...

If I had the same question, I’m not sure I could find where this level of detail is....

I have read about every post ever, I know it is here...

I know there is a selection process of what I prefer, vs. what I need to have to support the AP....

Then there is the part about how current that info is... as it gets updated often as the STCs get finished...

Start with the hardware list you need... then add the install time... find a plane similar to yours that has done it...

Expect a fair amount of work in the de-install of all the stuff in there getting replaced...

PP thoughts only, not an avionics tech...

Best regards,

-a-

8 minutes ago, flysamo said:

installing one this week, ovation long body with G275's already installed with king auto pilot removal, installing GFC 500 17K with 3 servos. includes gmc 507,gsa 28,pitch trim switch plus adding a yaw unit for 3200. about 2 weeks work. no tax

6 hours ago, flysamo said:

installing one this week, ovation long body with G275's already installed with king auto pilot removal, installing GFC 500 17K with 3 servos. includes gmc 507,gsa 28,pitch trim switch plus yaw unit for 3200. about 2 weeks work

I paid extra for the autopilot enabled 275’s. I’m told that will help reduce the cost when I install the 500. 

-Robert 

44 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

I paid extra for the autopilot enabled 275’s. I’m told that will help reduce the cost when I install the 500. 

-Robert 

Is the Autopilot version required, looking at it that interface seems to be for older analog autopilots not the gfc 500

On 9/27/2020 at 9:31 AM, Nick Pilotte said:

I don’t know where you are located but Lafayette Avionics at KLAF has posted pricing for installs.  I have no recent pireps from there but my BIL used to work there until 5 years ago. 

https://avionics-laf.com/products/garmin-gfc500-autopilot-installed

That's an amazing price. I was happy to get quotes 50% over that.  Maybe it pays to fly to a low cost geo. 

-Robert

It does have some additional cost items that are going to cause it to jump and I don’t know if that involves removing old wiring or if they plan on keeping old autopilot parts either.  But I’d guess that is why they are booked out for a year. 

I do remember my dad taking the Cherokee there for a radio upgrade about 30 years ago too so they’ve been there a while. 

Edited by Nick Pilotte

51 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

Don’t forget sales tax and travel expenses to and from, including commercial trip returning when making comparisons.

That’s a good point.  KLAF is a 45 min drive to KIND which is a relatively small airport.  You are likely looking at a connecting flights  unless you are flying back to a major hub city. But, it’s also an easy drive to/from many areas because it’s along I-65.

3 hours ago, Nick Pilotte said:

That’s a good point.  KLAF is a 45 min drive to KIND which is a relatively small airport.  You are likely looking at a connecting flights  unless you are flying back to a major hub city. But, it’s also an easy drive to/from many areas because it’s along I-65.

Having Chicago nearby should help.  Should be plenty of short connecting flights from KIND to KORD.  Lafayette is also close enough to Chicago to make a one-way rental car or Amtrak a reasonable option.

3 hours ago, ZuluZulu said:

Having Chicago nearby should help.  Should be plenty of short connecting flights from KIND to KORD.  Lafayette is also close enough to Chicago to make a one-way rental car or Amtrak a reasonable option.

KIND is one of the easiest to get to/from with lots of Southwest, Delta, American etc. Lots of direct flights to lots of major cities. 

https://ind.fltmaps.com/en

10 hours ago, Nick Pilotte said:

It does have some additional cost items that are going to cause it to jump and I don’t know if that involves removing old wiring or if they plan on keeping old autopilot parts either.  But I’d guess that is why they are booked out for a year. 

I do remember my dad taking the Cherokee there for a radio upgrade about 30 years ago too so they’ve been there a while. 

I’ve seen these prices at Lafayette and always found it to be a little Spirit-like but will give them the benefit of the doubt since I don’t have any personal experience with the shop.  When you add in the stated extras it’s about $16500 for our planes in a typical 3 servo setup.  That’s still a good price but not too dissimilar from other shops.  I’d be curious if any other Mooney’s have gotten work done there to see if they exercised the fine print in the ad:

“Each particular aircraft may require additional labor, repairs, alterations, or parts not included in the above.”

To all of you who have posted...this is exactly the conversation I wanted to start so I REALLY appreciate the pointers, tips and ideas being tossed around here.  Doing a reman engine seems way easier than trying to crawl through the weeds on avionics with all the options and variables, especially having to think through G5's and GI275"s to drive the unit, then add the GPS radio to add coupled approaches, etc.  This job is probably going to cost over $40K as a total panel redo as I need to chuck the Collins radios, the old steam gauges and the gawd awful Century IIB.  I will post the cost, pics, etc when I get this underway.  Thanks again for all the chatter.  IMHO, the best part about flying a Mooney is all the time and money we can save...and the worst part about flying a Mooney is all the money we spend to save time and money in other areas.  My Mooney is constantly on a cross country flight somewhere, so I wouldn't want it any other way, and I wouldn't fly anything else...that is until I can afford a Diamond DA-62...