Need a rocker switch for the strobes

Glen Davis

Guys,

All the rocker switches in my 84 M20J are white except for the strobe switch (installed yesterday by the broker selling me the plane).  It's black.  Broker said black is the only color rocker switch now available.  I know it's purely cosmetic but is the white switch available?

Glen

Glen,

Get ready for your first disappointment... as an owner...

The covers on the CB switches are ABS, injection molded parts...

They are designed with an undercut, so they snap in place...

The company that makes the switches has them pre-printed with about 50 possible labels on them...

They last for about 40 years or so...

Trying to get replacement switch covers is an MS sport...

To get the real ones... you have to buy a new Circuit Breaker.... and tell the company what you want on it... they haven’t ever sold anyone just the cover...

I tried several routes to buy the covers... none were successful...

Somebody around here often builds a set of covers using a 3D printer... And that works pretty well...

So... figure out how motivated you want to be to solve this challenge... make a few phone calls... and see if you can buy the switch cover in the color you prefer... labeled the way you want...

Put that on the list of things that the Mooney spare parts department could sell a bunch of...  :)

Good luck, we’re pulling for you...

Best regards,

-a-

There are threads on MS by people that have 3D printed and laser engraved replacements

Also, you can pop the cover off and paint it white with SEM or Krylon plastic paint and laser print a legend in a font that matches the existing switches on a clear Avery label and attach it to the painted cover and the overcoat it with several coats of clear Krylon. I did this with my avionics master switch when the cover broke. 

Skip

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Glen

I hear you like your Mooney. I love mine. I am about to have my panel updated and am trying to replace all of the switches. Finding circuit breaker switches sounds like it should be easy but it isn't. There is company called Shapeways that prints new covers. My bird has ETA switches like yours probably does. I may be just replacing the covers. Having a 40 year old switch give up the ghost on a trip would be a bummer. I am thinking new would be better. If finding new circuit breaker switches turns out to be a giant pain I will go with just the covers. I have also thought about changing to toggle style circuit breaker with stainless switch guards-kind of a retro look. The guy who has the hangar next to me just completed a Velocity and has them installed with the same avionics I am installing and they look great. Good luck with your new bird. 

Curt

I just had to replace my landing light switch, which got fried because my IA's tech bundled the landing light leads together while cleaning up the wiring in the engine bay.  When I turned it on, it popped open, but is now stuck open internally (cycling the switch a million times didn't help).  He said he searched around and found an ETA switch from a reseller, so there are at least a few out there.