‘65 M20E fighting High Oil Temps

Jvharps

One thing about the plate at the back of the oil cooler...

It is a fence to keep thing from encroaching behind the cooler....

It is easy to see the front of the oil cooler needs air to flow in....

If things creep In behind the oil cooler, the flow gets blocked without much attention to why or how...

It can also be a heat shield for the things that are trying to encroach... air exiting the oil cooler can slowly bake stuff on the way by...

PP thoughts only, not an air flow modeler....

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

From the IPC, the deflector is installed on carbureted models not fuel injected models.  This is from the 1965 IPC which is the model year of the OP.

Clarence

FF46F017-4A0B-4378-961E-70B41B7D0CCE.jpeg

Edited by M20Doc

11 hours ago, takair said:

It seemed to be originally installed on the C via service bulletin to prevent cracking of the adjacent exhaust pipe due to “cold” air being blown on it.  In the E, the pipe is further.  I have wondered if it would also work in the way you suggest.  Did you note any improvement with it?

I battled with high oil temp early on as well. I had seen it on other Es. The physics of keeping forced air through the cooler made sense to me so I installed it. It is listed as a plate in the text and not in the illustrated portion. I’ll try and get some better data from my airplane. Oil temps are never an issue for me. 
Best case would be for the oil cooler to have its own entry and exit air. Not robbing cooling air from the dog house or causing back pressure in the lower cowl. 
-Matt

• Like 1

On 9/22/2020 at 10:37 PM, MikeOH said:

My '70 F oil temp runs hotter than I'd like, but better since I redid the baffles (I had high CHTs, as well.  Ran into the low 400s before I fixed the baffles).  CHTs run 320-350 now, even on hot days.  I do run LOP.

OIl temp is still around 215-220 in cruise, and can get to 230 in climb on a hot day.  I've had the oil cooler overhauled by Pacific OIl Coolers (not just flushed), replaced the oil lines to/from the cooler, checked the vernatherm and its seat...

I've just learned to live with it.  The factory gauge never gets past the green, but it teeters on the edge sometimes!

I have a 64 E and I’d say it spends most of its time around 215 area right now in summer.  Maybe 220 if it’s really hot out.  The gauge bounces a bit but it’s always in the green and never in the red, basically same experience as Mike OH.  It’s always in the upper green area.  Some of the fins on the oil cooler do look damaged from prior owners and I haven’t tried to straighten them or clean them.

The CHTs are always cool (375 or less usually seem to be around 325 to 350).  

• Like 1

On 9/23/2020 at 7:57 AM, Jvharps said:

Hi Ragsf15e, 

Thanks for your suggestions and inquiries. See Below for the current best responses:

how are the CHTs at cruise?  I will pull the JPI data and provide this 

How are you leaning?  Rich of peak lean of peak, peak?  ROP, I am leaning to 1350 EGT's 

And how much rop or lop? I haven't spent enough time in flight yet to log this but, your giving me reasons! ;-)

Do you have the metal “heat shield” on top of the lines to the oil cooler?  Yes, please see the picture and tell me what you think. If you have an E model, is yours similar?

What about the one behind the oil cooler?  See picture. Its open. 

Are the mags timed correctly, recently checked? I am not sure how to know this, at run up, I get an even mag drop on the RPM's of ~50 RPM's

I can see my oil temp go up some as my Surefly advances and my CHTs go up a bit.  **raw egt numbers aren’t going to help us much, but CHTs might, what temps are they in climb and cruise?  I'll note when I pull the data.

Are they relatively even, are the egts relatively even? Relatively. The delta is about 35-40 degrees if memory serves. 

73AA77D7-3842-4438-88D2-81DBF03DC94F_1_105_c.jpeg

8C823499-4CF5-4187-81C6-51CA51550B1C_1_105_c.jpeg

6B083749-3993-47D4-BC82-CEF07846798A_1_105_c.jpeg

4F3F8CD0-1B20-494A-AEBE-58E78964ADCD_1_105_c.jpeg

1DA19527-2725-43FE-8EB3-5FDC83E7693F_1_105_c.jpeg

Have you been able to try leaning to 100ROP vs just 1350egt?  As a point of reference, I set up cruise at 7,500’, 100 ROP and my egts were ~1300.  If yours peaked similar to mine (which they may not), 1350egt would be about the worst place to be for hot temps.

A0E292F1-26E0-4CBB-9C90-5F929D62A846.thumb.jpeg.d05d80d32ba0d9868ee155b1fbe2b516.jpeg