IO550A Missile 65% Power Why HOT Cylinders?

3 hours ago, Niko182 said:

The power setting I provided along with rocket engineering are ROP. The chart anthony provided is LOP. The Chart anthony posted has an ROP chart too. IMO peak is a great place to be if you can control the CHT's. If they start getting above 400, I would not fly peak.

I haven’t had any problem with cylinder temps.  My issue has been pretty high EGT’s.  (Close to 1500) with peak operation.  The Missile exhaust is expensive so this is probably not the best operation?

What are thoughts regarding 1475-1525 EGT’s in cruise operation?

The EGT's dont matter. There is no limitation on EGT. EGT is only a reference. When I'm flying at peak EGT, they are around 1550 to 1600. TIT is a limiting factor. You dont have a turbo. Also EGT arent usually completely accurate. You would only use EGT's to reference where you are in correlation to peak. Its an OWT that EGT's have limitations.

At peak EGT, youre EGT's will most likely be above 1500, and thats completely fine.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Niko182 said:

The EGT's dont matter. There is no limitation on EGT. EGT is only a reference. When I'm flying at peak EGT, they are around 1550 to 1600. TIT is a limiting factor. You dont have a turbo. Also EGT arent usually completely accurate. You would only use EGT's to reference where you are in correlation to peak. Its an OWT that EGT's have limitations.

At peak EGT, youre EGT's will most likely be above 1500, and thats completely fine.

Man, I like what you are saying, but I would swear I have read here about not wanting egt’s that high.  Glad to be wrong and I, of course, only use EGT’s as reference on leaning...BUT thought hotter could be a “too hot” for exhaust system.  Thanks for the reply!

Raw EGT numbers are useless because...

They are highly related to the placement of the sensor...

So, if you are happy with your EGT, know it is higher just a few mm further up stream...

The time Raw EGTs become important is when they are confined...

Confined exhaust gasses don’t cool rapidly like unconfined flows do...

An example of confined flow of exhaust gasses... look up turbo systems.... and know why a bad/loose V-band can ruin your day....

The O got a standardized location for the ship’s EGT gauge... See if the Missile got that too?

A hint, the EGT display will have numbers on it, and it gets a blue or white box for leaning in the climb...

This detail all comes from the PP handbook of thermodynamics... see if you can find a copy... :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Missile=Awesome said:

Man, I like what you are saying, but I would swear I have read here about not wanting egt’s that high.  Glad to be wrong and I, of course, only use EGT’s as reference on leaning...BUT thought hotter could be a “too hot” for exhaust system.  Thanks for the reply!

I understand why youd be cautious. Treating the engine badly can cause a 50amu check really quickly. I think youre thinking about the redbox, but ill let others add their opinions. There are a lot of people with a lot more knowledge than me on here so ill let them speak too.

• Like 1