Generator blast tube

Embmech

Welcome aboard Emb...

The generator required it...

If your alternator has a fan attached to the front of it, you probably no longer need the bent tube...

If  not sure, feel free to post a pic...

Are you sure you still have a generator?

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

So what they did was probably not a bad thing. The front of the generator is in the high pressure side of the baffling and the vent pipe is in the low pressure side of the baffling. If you were to connect the vent pipe to the hole, it would put the front and back of the generator at about the same pressure. This would reduce the cooling flow through the generator.

I wouldn't fix it.

6 minutes ago, PilotCoyote said:

I am not sure if this was the factory arrangement in 1964. 
Does anyone know?

No provision for generator cooling in my ‘63 C.  My ‘62 Cherokee had a 1” blast tube pickup off the front baffle running to the generator.  When I overhauled my generator some 7 years ago...

D8229307-F077-42AF-B8A3-E57B12EB3CCC.jpeg

0E3673C2-3313-4531-88F3-BA0D92FEE1F8.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, ukrsindicat@yahoo.com said:

missed the fact that this ram port was never connected

Not being familiar with the F model… is the ram port for generator cooling or engine driven fuel pump cooling?  Your induction ram air goes where the fuel pump cooling air inlet was on earlier C models… just asking the question.   

11 hours ago, 47U said:

Not being familiar with the F model… is the ram port for generator cooling or engine driven fuel pump cooling?  Your induction ram air goes where the fuel pump cooling air inlet was on earlier C models… just asking the question.   

I do have a separate blast SCAT tube going to engine fuel pump, but its on the LH side. No issue there. 

The above posted port is on the RH side.

Edited by ukrsindicat@yahoo.com
  • Like 1

Interesting…

The ram air door is in the same place about…where the carbureted M20C has the same round 1” hole for the generator cooling air….

Oddly… the unconnected hole is supply air pressure to the lower half of the cowling… interrupting airflow from top to bottom for cooling cylinders….

So…. If you connect the hose, or block the hole… you might notice better CHTs….  :)

Its a small hole, so don’t expect huge changes…. But, people go out of their way to update seals around alternators and starters for the same issue…

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic…

Best regards,

-a-