Engine pivot

Marc L.

Have a question for the group. It appears that the engine can pivot on the lower mounts to gain access to the rear accessory’s. Does anyone have any knowledge of this. I think I’ve heard in the past that it was designed that way. Thanks

4 minutes ago, Marc L. said:

Have a question for the group. It appears that the engine can pivot on the lower mounts to gain access to the rear accessory’s. Does anyone have any knowledge of this. I think I’ve heard in the past that it was designed that way. Thanks

Where did you hear that, what context was that discussed with?

There are four bolts holding the engine mount to the fire wall...

Take four bolts out, and pivot away....

Were you expecting a hinge for some kind of ordinary oil change, and easy access to the finger screen?

We have an MSer in charge of funny procedure names... around here somewhere...

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, Marc L. said:

It's not a common thing to do, so I suspect it is probably not worth doing.   The bolts in the upper part are bit notorious for fitment and difficult accessibility behind the firewall, so the effort required to get them back in may not be worth the juice.

• Like 1

You could, but when I'm hanging an engine, I put the top bolts in first then the bottom ones. I think every engine mount has its own personality. Some may go easier then others. I wouldn't pull those bolts unless you absolutely have to. You must have the engine hanging from a hoist any time you take those bolts out.

Thanks for all the info. I don’t remember where I heard that but it almost kind of made sense by looking at the 2 bottom mounts where they attach to the firewall. I have always been skeptical about rotating it down and it wasn’t something I was actually wanting to do.  I am in the middle of C to E model conversation and figured I would ask. Does anyone happen to have a  mixture  cable or ram air cable they want to part with?

Autocorrect got me again. Lol. You are correct. We are swapping the old O360 for a IO360. From looking at the parts manual, the only engine cable that will fit from the old engine is the prop control. We are lucky enough to have a salvage aircraft for most of the parts we will need. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Marc L. said:

Not something normally required on a Mooney, a Cessna 185 yes.

Clarence