Need an LSA for the wife to train in

N9405V

I’m looking to buy an LSA for the wife to train in for her Sport Pilot Certificate. Now, just to nip it in the bud, she has to go Sport Pilot, PPL is not an option.

I’ve been looking at Luscombes, Taylorcrafts and Ercoupes with rudders. She wants side by side seating. Of these three, any pros or cons to look for?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No experience in any, but I like the look of the Ercoupe. Plus the windows roll down . . . I've heard that Luscombes have narrow wheel base, making control on the ground difficult and crosswind landings extra hairy. Then again, some people have heard that Mooneys are hard to fly . . . .  ;)

Good luck with it! Both of you!!

• Like 3

I would say find a decent Taylecraft. Or, I grew up in a circle of crop dusters and WW2 pilots.  All of whose owned various taildraggers and a a family friend of ours had a Funk if you can find one.  They are side by side, similar to the Taylor in performance.  I grew up loving that plane. 

• Like 1

I don't have much experience with the antique LSAs, but it might be worth looking at the Part 103 ultralights. 

Some of those aircraft are impressively equipped (including with a BRS, if that's your thing), and can be had for $30k ish brand new. 

ETA: The Part 103s probably don't accomplish your sport pilot training requirement, so I'll withdraw my suggestion but leave it here for posterity :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have flown and instructed in all of these models and they all have plusses and minuses.The luscombe is long legged so it makes it a little more demanding than other taildraggers but not unflyable according to the pilots skill in crosswinds.The Taylorcraft is an all around forgiving aircraft it lust has fabric and if it still has the 65 hp then you will have to hand prop it. The Ercoupe is another favorite and if you get a later model it will have rudder pedals to teach coordinated flying skills.

The Ercoupe 415 C or D model would be far better than the others. More Mooney like than the others. 

Corrosion is the big concern on all of these older planes. The carry through area on Ercoupes needs a thorough inspection for corrosion between some dissimilar metals employed there. I've only seen a couple with actual problems, stemming from lots of sitting, with leaky canopies.

Look for one with an O-200 engine installed under a Field Approval, or the newer STC. Far better than the C85 they came with. 

https://www.ercoupe.org/index.php

https://www.faa.gov/aircraft/gen_av/light_sport/media/ExistingModels.pdf

415 C and D are on the list

Edited by philiplane
  • Like 2

An Ercoupe would be a great choice.  As noted by @philiplane keep a close eye on the center section for corrosion.  A friend of mine just grounded his immaculate 415C because of hidden center section corrosion.  It can be fixed but it is a very involved and expensive job.

Only the 415C is LSA eligible.  Once it is converted to a D it can not be reverted back to a C and be a legal LSA.   So when buying you will need to look over the logs carefully.  There are a lot of D's out there that are claimed to be C's today.  Mine is registered with the FAA as a C but it has been converted to a D, the change is only noted on the data plate and a 337.   It's a ridiculous rule.  There is a 1320lb gross weight stc for the C that essentially converts it to a D (1400lbs gross) yet retains the LSA qualification. 

The O-200 is a great match for the Ercoupe, I have one one mine.  But the original STC required the airplane to be converted to a D.   415C's with the O200 are rare, but they are out there. 

Cheers,

Dan

• Like 3

5 hours ago, philiplane said:

Look for one with an O-200 engine installed under a Field Approval, or the newer STC. Far better than the C85 they came with. 

Very few Ercoupes with an O-200 qualify as light sport. Essentially none, I believe.

On 9/21/2020 at 12:25 PM, N9405V said:

I’m looking to buy an LSA for the wife to train in for her Sport Pilot Certificate. Now, just to nip it in the bud, she has to go Sport Pilot, PPL is not an option.

I’ve been looking at Luscombes, Taylorcrafts and Ercoupes with rudders. She wants side by side seating. Of these three, any pros or cons to look for?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bristell, or Sport Cruiser. 

Bristell if you are keeping the plane. Sport Cruiser if not keeping. 

Edited by Mcstealth
  • Like 1

You might consider a Tecnam high wing.  If I remember right there are 3 models.  You could probably find a nice one for close to $40k.  Dirt cheap to operate, super easy and safe to fly, and absolutely as fun as anything in that category except maybe a Remos.  Get her in one she will love it and be hooked.

Saw this on FATPNW (facebook group)

Hi, I am listing this for a friend. Beautiful Airplane!
Good condition Aeronca Chief for sale: $14K
# Own/Fly a Certified Aircraft for under $15K and $15/hr
*(Based on 4 gal/hr of ethanol free auto-gas)*
Nice pre-war; 1938 Chief with mid-time 65hp Continental and metal prop
AFTT: 2307 SMOH: 396
Features:
Certified with no electrical system (exempt from ADS-B)
Side by side seating (compared to tandem Champ)
Toe brake conversion (includes original heel brake parts)
Includes King handheld radio, intercom, headset and nice tailwheel towbar
General
Currently out of annual (last annual 07/01/2019)
Based at Crest Airpark (Norman Greir) S36
Starts easy (often on first pull) and runs without issues
Flys fine (cruises at about 90) with no adverse characteristics
A very inexpensive, fun way to fly or build time but not a practical cross country plane as it's relatively slow with limited range (12 gal tank)
Text Only: Linn, 206-240-7706

120040406_10220988841769213_6222766311379524420_o.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=V9GtjHhIKrMAX_cBZry&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.xx&tp=7&oh=cd80cfcc042bb1486f7bdfeba3ee1683&oe=5F9329C2
  • Like 2