Maxwell or Cole for annual

Rick7576

I have an annual due in Nov. for my 20K. This will be the first annual for this a/c since I purchased it in Apr.

I live in Ky. any recommendations would be greatly appreciated..I'm open for other suggestions, but I think both of

these operations have very good reputations. 

Fantastic...

Most challenging question of the day...

1) I want to take my plane to the highest level shop available....

2) Choose A or B...

3) Allow for somebody to add on a few other good shops in the south and East...

4) The only answer that makes sense... Involves which state do you want to travel to, and enjoy... TX, GA, NC?

5) which shop’s name do you want in the log books...?

6) If selling, it helps to have DMax’s shop in the books... because it is the most world renowned shop for Mooneys...

7) The other ones may be equally good, working from the same books, with well trained and motivated mechanics...

8) My first Annual for the O went to DMax to get it’s pedigree re-established... I was very confident in its ability to fly me around for the next year...

9) Now that I have had the plane for a decade... it stays closer to home for its maintenance.... :)

10) Changes of ownership make this an interesting question... either buying or selling....

11) The real time to select the best shop... is when you have a challenging problem you are trying to solve... :)

12) Sounds like a personal choice..?

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

3 hours ago, carusoam said:

Fantastic...

Most challenging question of the day...

1) I want to take my plane to the highest level shop available....

2) Choose A or B...

3) Allow for somebody to add on a few other good shops in the south and East...

4) The only answer that makes sense... Involves which state do you want to travel to, and enjoy... TX, GA, NC?

5) which shop’s name do you want in the log books...?

6) If selling, it helps to have DMax’s shop in the books... because it is the most world renowned shop for Mooneys...

7) The other ones may be equally good, working from the same books, with well trained and motivated mechanics...

8) My first Annual for the O went to DMax to get it’s pedigree re-established... I was very confident in its ability to fly me around for the next year...

9) Now that I have had the plane for a decade... it stays closer to home for its maintenance.... :)

10) Changes of ownership make this an interesting question... either buying or selling....

11) The real time to select the best shop... is when you have a challenging problem you are trying to solve... :)

12) Sounds like a personal choice..?

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

I have never used any of the shops here except Cole.  But one of the things I most definitely like about the shop is that Joe turns a wrench with Jeff and Will , and it has been those guys for as long as I’ve been going there, which is seven years. Joe is a pilot himself, and in fact is an ATP and was formerly an instructor. I think that adds a nice dimension to it.  No turnover, although they did lose excellent IA to retirement a couple years back   They all know what they’re doing and  I trust everyone in the shop because I know them so well and have a lot of confidence in everybody that touches the plane. Can’t say that for a lot of shops these days.  As the saying goes, any shop is only as strong as its weakest link. I believe that is very true. 

• Like 1

I have personally had very good experiences with Joey and his team, so you can't go wrong there.  Never had any work done at Maxwell's but they sure have a great reputation.  So as others have said, it will come down to whichever is more convenient for you.  If you live in Kentucky, then Cole is certainly a lot closer and a reasonable drive (or a reasonable ask for a buddy to ferry you from your home airport!).  Maxwell would likely require you to fly commercial unless you can wait around in east Texas for however long it takes.  If those are the two you've narrowed it down to, seems like you're in a win-win scenario.

• Like 2

I’ve had first-hand experience with two out of three, and can enthusiastically recommend AGL in Morganton, NC. Honorable, reasonable,  and competent. Not only that, but close to the mountains, so can rent a car and go exploring.

Not only that, but with Lynn at AGL  (also a Mooney Service Center,) you know who’s actually doing the work, and when it will be finished. One  big shop did a prebuy that turned out to be a shoddy job, the resulting annual was a shock, and the reply was a shrug, musta been one of the other mechanics. So much for the reputation.