Aviation Education

DonMuncy

MTSU in Murfreesboro, TN. Credit and savings $$$ for having a private pilot license in advance. They have a combined flat panel VFR/IFR integrated curriculum.

Their fleet is mostly Diamonds.

Some kids come to Millington, TN and join the Civil Air Patrol which entitles them to join the Navy Flying Club to rent the planes at $90 per hour wet and get Private instruction.

Why get a degree? Get the ratings and hours at a pro pilot training center like this or this with the option of college credit.  If she is hired as an airline pilot, she'll have plenty of time to do an online degree, if that's what she really wants.

But, she should be aware that there are presently, I'm told, 10,000 type-rated PIC turbine ATP's on the street.  And there will likely be more layoffs after the government cheese goes away at the end of September.  It is remarkable how COVID Fears and government reactions have destroyed the travel and leisure industry.

-dan

6 hours ago, DonMuncy said:

My grand-daughter is planning for her college education and wants to pursue a career as a pilot. Naturally, I am aware of Embry Riddle, but wonder if anyone has ideas about the fastest/most economical places to consider.

University of North Dakota has multiple campuses with aviation programs.   There's a big one here in AZ at Mesa Gateway that is connected to Chandler Gilbert Community College:

https://aero.und.edu/phoenix/

I did my A&P at CGCC and the pilot program ran parallel to the AMT program, so we saw those guys all the time.   They parked their airplanes just outside of our hangar, and it's a pretty significant fleet.  Big program, and CGCC is very affordable as these things go.

ASU also has an aviation program, more or less co-located at Mesa Gateway.

I am a firm believer in the "all in" approach. Some people will say, "Major in business or something other than flying so you have an "out". If your goal is to be a doctor, do you major in architecture in case you can't cut med school? I went "all in" majored in Aeronautical Engineering, got my ratings at a 141 school, flew trash, flew anything that would fly, and I was rewarded with 47 wonderful years. 4 years flying part time in college, couple years Part 135, 4 years corporate, the rest major airline. Some years were tough, some were on furlough, some paid little, but in the end it was all worth it.  I would do it all over again! I applied to 5 airlines, got job offers from 4 and the one I retired from is the one who turned me down. The first airline I applied to wanted minimum 1000 hours, 4 engine, jet PIC time. I never even flew a jet when they hired me yet I passed their interview simulator ride. Do not let nay sayers and the "yowbuts" stop you. Go all in, deep end of the pool or don't go at all. Be like Cortez, burn the ships, then you have to fight or die. For my money, UND has a great program. I have no affiliation with them.

• Like 2

Hmmmmmm....

For fun... ND has their aviation videos on line... that would be an interesting way to gain some insight to their program...?

Short on dough... USAF may still have their ROTC program at certain schools...

To gain experience... Fly with your Grand Father as often as possible... :)  cross the country, take some video, make some errors together...  Memories of Bob and his Grand Nephew...

Go all in...? Pick up as many ratings as you can...  Flying a Jet today, may open a door to starting your own maintenance shop tomorrow... stay flexible... keep options open...

Get good guidance at every step... From as many qualified people as possible...

Don’t take no for an answer... It’s too easy to hear no, too often...

PP thoughts only, not a guidance counselor...

We have so many pilots of so many varieties... and doctors, and lawyers, and mechanics, and engineers, and moms and dads...

Best regards,

-a-

Gallatin College part of Montana State University in Bozeman, MT has a program as does Rocky Mountain College in Billings, MT.  Gallatin is an associate degree while Rocky is a bachelor degree.

Montana State has a ROTC detachment.  Monetarily, the Air Force is the cheapest way to get a multi-engine commercial.   In fact they pay you. It iis also pretty quick, only takes a year.  Of course there is that 10 years you owe back to the taxpayers.   

I just retired from the AF, my son attended Gallatin (started, but didn't complete the program). You can't beat flying out of the Gallatin Valley!

• Like 1