screw kits / searchable IPC

tmo

I know there were a number of threads on screw kits, but I never saw a definite shopping list for a M20K. Does anyone have one?

I attempted to write down all the various screws, washers, nuts and whatnots from an IPC I have, but my copy is not searchable, so I gave up pretty fast. Does anyone have a M20K IPC that would be a proper PDF, searchable, with proper text in it, not a bunch of scanned pages?

Getting stuff shipped from the US piecemeal is becoming a pain and I'm at a point where I'll be happy to spend the extra $$$ on a bunch of screws I probably won't need just to have the ones I will need in a box near the plane when I need them. I realize that after 40 years some of the screws from the IPC might have changed in size (as in, oversize screws were installed at some point in time) so pointers / suggestions based on experience are also most welcome.

Edited by tmo

During annual, I always replace some inspection and belly panel screws. Take one of each old screw to where you buy aircraft screws and get 100 of each. If you order them unstead, figure out what they are and order 100 of each. The cost is pretty minimal that way, and you always have them on hand.

I stock only three sizes--countersunk belly screws (the dimpled washers are pricey!), inspection panel screws and prop spinner screws.

2 hours ago, EricJ said:

Aircraft spruce has stainless kits for Mooneys.    One of these kits was one of the first purchases I made for my airplane and it's been very, very useful to have around.  

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/exterwasherkit.php

Not in stock for a 1976 M20C  :(

Screen Shot 2020-09-20 at 12.57.58 PM.png

• Sad 1

Hank, it's not as easy this side of the pond :) last time I went to a screw shop I barely got one of a dozen to match. And I had to say they are for an old tractor.

That's why I want to order a bunch from the US and have what I need on hand. Good call on the spinner ones, added to the list.

Skip, Eric - thanks - I guess I'll follow your advice and start with a kit. With any luck, it will have what I need when I need it.

The ask for a machine-readable version of a M20K IPC still stands, if anyone can provide.

9 minutes ago, tmo said:

Hank, it's not as easy this side of the pond :) last time I went to a screw shop I barely got one of a dozen to match. And I had to say they are for an old tractor.

That's why I want to order a bunch from the US and have what I need on hand. Good call on the spinner ones, added to the list.

Skip, Eric - thanks - I guess I'll follow your advice and start with a kit. With any luck, it will have what I need when I need it.

The ask for a machine-readable version of a M20K IPC still stands, if anyone can provide.

I live 35 Mooney minutes from Aircraft Spruce, so I took one of each with me and left with bags of 100. Your friendly local Mooney A&P would probably be happy to help you dig through the arcane aircraft screw terminology over a beer one evening . . . or lunch most any day. Then order them from Spruce.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tmo said:

@PT20J @EricJ - do these kits contain tinnemans and washers, or just screws?

If not, any recommendations on sizes of tinnemans I should add to the order? The washers I can handle.

Mine has screws and the countersunk washers, iirc, but no Tinnerman or other nut plates.

• Thanks 1

My C had mostly one size / style of tinnermans.... Clip style for the belly panel screws...

except some tiny tinnermans used for the dog house...

I have no knowledge if the M20K changed fastener styles for the M20K...

So... Pull one out from the belly panels, and order a bunch...

The springiness wears over time as does their ability to hold a screw in place...

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, tmo said:

@PT20J @EricJ - do these kits contain tinnemans and washers, or just screws?

If not, any recommendations on sizes of tinnemans I should add to the order? The washers I can handle.

No Tinnermans. I ordered #4, #6 and #8 Tinnermans separately. #4 used for some interior screws. The exterior screws at #6 and #8. But, I rarely have to replace a Tinnerman. 

Skip

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...