Flight School for Tailwheel Endorsement

TGreen

5 hours ago, HIghpockets said:

I received my tailwheel endorsement at Aeroflex/Andover 12N in NJ with Damian DelGazio. Flew the Aviat Husky on tundra tires.

10 minutes ago, carusoam said:

HP’s recommendation in NJ...

Good short runway experience as well... 

Plane wash on both ends of the runway... :)

NYC and Philly nearby...

Best regards,

-a-

His Tailwheel 101 DVD is really great primer on the subject too.  Worth watching in advance.  Available at most Internet pilot shops.  My brother got his endorsement from Damien, and I got my endorsement from my brother.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

How about Sunrise Aviation there at KSNA?   They have several taildragger aircraft and teach acrobatics basic to advanced.  

Thinking it would be nice to get out of town for a few days and make an adventure out of it. 

• Like 1

Not everyone needs a tailwheel endorsement.

The training and endorsement required by paragraph (i)(1) of this section is not required if the person logged pilot-in-command time in a tailwheel airplane before April 15, 1991.

(61.31 Type rating requirements, additional training, and authorization requirements.)

4 hours ago, carusoam said:

HP’s recommendation in NJ...

Good short runway experience as well... 

Plane wash on both ends of the runway... :)

NYC and Philly nearby...

https://airnav.com/airport/12N

Best regards,

-a-

Ahem. Not that it matters but  HIghpockets made that recommendation to fly with Damian and...I would fly my J to the 1981' runway and hop into the Husky. Don't think they have the Husky now, just a couple of Supercubs.

1 hour ago, HIghpockets said:

Ahem. Not that it matters but  HIghpockets made that recommendation to fly with Damian and...I would fly my J to the 1981' runway and hop into the Husky. Don't think they have the Husky now, just a couple of Supercubs.

Caps aren’t my specialty, but when I wrote HP It was meant to mean HIghpockets... :)

It does matter, without the post numbers... it is hard to reference who said what when pointing somebody in the right direction...

As far as my writing skills go... they have come along way over the years...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

CP aviation in Santa Paula is alright. 
I have a friend with an S2A that is doing a lot of teaching. Sunrise Aviation is not what it once was.  Chandler is good. Sean Tucker’s school has shut down to the public but will do personal training. He had a lot of international students so they just closed it temporally due to Covid. 
Greg Koontz has a nice bed and breakfast teaches in super D’s. 
hope that helps!

I would recommend a better part of a week to have you both finished. It’s great training and will make you a much better pilot. 

-Matt

• Thanks 1

Its a long way, but Inflight Training at Flying Cloud has very good tailwheel instructors.  I’ll bet you could get a tailwheel at Aviation Performance Solutions in Pheonix (KIWA) in an Extra 300, but there would b alot more interesting stuff than that, they would want to teach you. 

• Thanks 1

Tim Preston at Preston Aviation at KGIF Winter Haven, Florida does tailwheel training in a Cub and has a Stearman as well. I flew with him for my tailwheel endorsement back in 2000 (where did those twenty years go?).

Tim is a great Instructor, experienced and fun to fly with. His nice wife, Peggy, runs the office. Vacation in Florida and fly with Tim.

• Like 1