A Picture of the first Turbo Lycoming Sabre

tls pilot

From our friend Bob Kromer, who was Exec VP and Engineer and Test pilot on the Sabre project...

Thanks for sharing this great photo.  This is the engineering and development team posing with 0001.  We called it “Saber”.  My estimate is this photo was taken in 1989 or ‘90.  Later, after certification, marketing called it the TLS.  The airplane has just been completed at the paint shop and first flight is imminent.  I’m not in this photo, but I remember the day very well.

Hopefully Mooney can find a way to return to this level of capability regarding new product development. As a company, we felt like there was nothing we couldn’t do.  Takes vision, planning, money and a little time.  I am grateful for the tech group you see in this photo. That was a fine R&D team.  The shark’s teeth paint scheme was their idea.  I said go ahead, have some fun with it.  Those were good days.  The best of my career.

Bob

Sent from my iPhone

Bob Kromer
SVP, Engineering - Blackhawk Aerospace

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Bob Kromer is the single reason I was able to buy my M20C...

My choices were Brand C, Brand P, and Mooney...

His write up in the MapaLog regarding the M20C made it easy to choose...

Without the technical sales detail, Mooney is easy to overlook and go for something that everyone else is choosing...

Bob is a great team leader, engineer, and tech sales guy...

Almost two decades later, while seeing his presentation regarding Mooney Climb-outs at Mooney Summit....  It is clear, Bob still has the Mooney passion...

Go Bob!

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 4