Intake duct part 600115-005

Htmlkid

Yes.

In various states of wellness... Some repair may be required... some are better than others...

@Alan Fox

@SheryLoewen

@Jerry Pressley 

Put this on the list of parts that Jonny would be interested in getting a solution for...

0) is yours suffering from wear? Got some holes in it?

1) It would take a new design using a new material...

2) It would need to pass through proper certification... Aka proper documentation...

3) Somebody Makes similar products around here for a variety of machines in a variety of tough environments... @GEE-BEE

4) David has a handle on the proper documentation... If it can be boiled down to user produced parts... @Sabremech

5) If the factory could get on board with it... the new design, with new materials, could be defined by the manufacturer....

How does that sound?

Too easy?

Too low cost?

Best regards,

-a-

4 minutes ago, Htmlkid said:

I don’t even know what you just said lol

It’s probably better that way... :)

1) This part has been a known challenge from the day the first was manufactured...

2) It wears out quickly, allows unfiltered air to enter,

3) the parts system can’t keep enough in stock...

4) Finding one used is a common method to hold you over...

5) The three suppliers of used Mooney parts are listed...

6) The rest was all about getting a new one designed by MSers that do this stuff for a living...

7) Jonny is the new head honcho at the factory...

8) As new head honcho, this would be one of those things on the list to get into production so Mooney pilots wouldn’t be so inconvenienced by the ancient state of affairs...

9) Internal prioritization would apply a priority to it...

10) Right now, your plane is AOG, with a hope of actually seeing a part in two weeks...

11) Don’t hold your breath... two weeks is a long time...

12) If it turns into two months... it will be really disappointing...

13) Many MSers have used fabric and silicone... to make repairs to the ‘hose’...

PP thoughts only, not spare parts manager...

Best regards,

-a-

• Haha 1

On 9/18/2020 at 2:40 PM, Htmlkid said:

I’m looking for an intake duct for a 1975 M20F. It’s been on backorder for 2 weeks. Anyone know of where I might be able to find one?

Actually it has been on back-order for almost a year. They were just trying to be kind to you. :huh:  I found a used one in repairable condition, but many out there are not really repairable anymore. If the rubber has started to deteriorate rather than just a small hole they are likely not repairable.   I hope that Mooney starts getting more made soon. 

51 minutes ago, Htmlkid said:

Mine only has small holes... how do you repair them???

If the rubber is still good, not flaking or breaking up it may be repairable until Mooney decides to order some more from their supplier. First check with your mechanic that it is OK to do a repair if he is the one reinstalling it. 

I used a light 1.5 oz fiberglass cloth (0.75 to 1.5 oz should work) You only need a few sq inches for the repair.  I then got black high temp RTV from Amazon (comes in different colors, your choice).  I cleaned the intake well with soap and water and let it dry, then wiped the area around the holes with solvent (90% rubbing alcohol).  I cut several layers of patches each slightly smaller than the next, similar technique to fiberglass or carbon fiber repair.  The first patch was about 2 inches in diameter.  I thinned the RTV with a little Kingsford BBQ lighter fluid (naphtha) so it would flow enough to wet the cloth easier. Using a small brush,  I put the RTV on the OUTSIDE of the intake around the holes just large enough for the largest patch cloth.  Then stippled the cloth into the RTV and coated with a little more RTV for the next layer.  I repeated the process for three layers of cloth and then let it dry in the sun to cure. 

• Like 2

Making the fiberglass cloth patch, put a dab of black rtv on a piece of heavy plastic bag, put the FG cloth on the rtv, another dab of rtv, another piece of plastic bag.  That way you can work the rtv into the cloth with less mess. When all the patches are ready, peel one side of plastic off and apply like a band-aid.  Remove the other side.  Repeat.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, N9405V said:

Don Maxwell just got a bunch in

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is an alert the media kind of good announcement...

A method to make people happy to check theirs... not fear that there are some holes worn in it...

See if @Pmaxwell can share some insight on what he has...

Part number

Planes they fit

price

pic

:)

-a-

• 3 months later...

I am in need of one of these (P/N 600115-005) if anyone has one.  I've contacted Alan Fox (who does not have one) and Don Maxwell (who I have not heard back from yet).  LASAR says they are keeping a list of people who need it, but also do not have any at this time.

Anybody got one or have a lead on one?

Thanks.

I had 2, sold one to an MS’r.  The other is for my customer base.  My wife says they’re still back ordered from Mooney till sometime in February.  They are often in short supply.

Sounds like a mission for @Jonnyto look into.

Clarence