Buying databases from Garmin vs Jeppesen

RobertGary1

13 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

Looking at subscriptions for my panel it looks like Jeppesen is a lot more expensive than Garmin. Just curious what the advantage is to use Jeppesen.

(Even Garmin is expensive. Seems odd I have to pay separately for updates to my attitude indicator (GI-275) subscription)

-Robert

I use Garmin for my 430W.  It’s $69 cheaper for the whole US than Jepp’s western US subscription.  It works fine, but you need a Garmin loader if it’s an older 430/530 card.  The Jepp one doesn’t work.  Strangely, the Garmin loader was exactly $69, so no savings the first year.  This year I’m making $$ toward my FIKI Ovation though!:)

29 minutes ago, Ragsf15e said:

I use Garmin for my 430W.  It’s $69 cheaper for the whole US than Jepp’s western US subscription.  It works fine, but you need a Garmin loader if it’s an older 430/530 card.  The Jepp one doesn’t work.  Strangely, the Garmin loader was exactly $69, so no savings the first year.  This year I’m making $$ toward my FIKI Ovation though!:)

Yeah, I went Garmin, but since I had to buy the reader, no savings realized until the next year. Only advantage I saw with jeppesen is that you can download to your PC and transfer to the card at the airport. Not worth $69. 

When I had an older GPS I had to use Jep. When I upgraded to a 375 when I asked them why they cost so much more than Garmin they told me that they have to pay a fee to Garmin. And that their data is more accurate. Therefore safer. 

After that load of crap I switched to Garmin. 

I'm sure they have their purpose but I've never used their approach charts, so no loss for me there. 

56 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

Looking at subscriptions for my panel it looks like Jeppesen is a lot more expensive than Garmin. Just curious what the advantage is to use Jeppesen.

(Even Garmin is expensive. Seems odd I have to pay separately for updates to my attitude indicator (GI-275) subscription)

-Robert

Which GPS do you have.  It makes a difference.

For our GTN650 we only buy the navigation database subscription every year.  We MIGHT buy a one time update to the obstacles and safetaxi every few years.  We also only buy the United States since none of us fly to Canada or Mexico.  $299/year.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

That almost sounds libel to imply Garmin data is unsafe. I wonder if they have anything to back that up.  

-Robert 

I'd love to know if someone slammed into terrain because they used the "less safe" database.  I'm not a Garmin fanboy, but sounds like BS. 

I have one of the Garmin bundles so that I can update my 530,430, and Aera 796.  There was a small cost savings for the 430/530  updates compared with Jeppesen but  also the updates for terrain are included for no additional charge and which only Garmin can provide  (though I realize that really isn't something that changes much or as critical as Nav data).  I did have to buy the Garmin reader but that wasn't a huge issue.

The main disadvantage to me is that updates require you to be online.  With  Jeppesen I could download everything from a fast connection and then transfer w/ or w/o a connection at some other time.  Not a big deal for me though.

I fly to private fields in Florida...many of which are on Garmin pilot but not in the Garmin database on my GTN650....talk about a total cluster fuck when you want to go to one....It is nice to have an autopilot to take care of business when you have to go through pages and pages to make things right....name the user waypoint...lat longs etc....

If it is in the Garmin pilot flight plan it should go right over with the flight steam 510 but it does not....FUCK them...!!!!

Oh by the way I have called them and asked them to make some things right add airports ect......it falls on deaf ears.....the people who run Garmin do not fly airplanes.....cant feel your pain....dont understand.......so there you go

I use the Garmin database

2 hours ago, Mooneymite said:

Our private airport does not appear in the Garmin updates, so I get a terrain warning every time I land at our home-drome.  Our airport is in the Jeppesen database.

That would explain why I couldn't program your airport into my 430. 

8 minutes ago, Mooneymite said:

Just build it as a user point.  Use the lat/long from Airnav.com.  However, you'll still get the terrain warning on short final.

I used to get terrain warnings on base for 26 at KHTW, just because I was descending towards the ridgeline parallel to the runway (It's actually inside the downwind for 8).

Rob, the next time you visit Gus, you can add a user waypoint while on the ground. I've done it before with my 430, just don't recall how--it was probably 10 years ago.

4 minutes ago, Hank said:

I used to get terrain warnings on base for 26 at KHTW, just because I was descending towards the ridgeline parallel to the runway (It's actually inside the downwind for 8).

Rob, the next time you visit Gus, you can add a user waypoint while on the ground. I've done it before with my 430, just don't recall how--it was probably 10 years ago.

Or, just fly I-75 northward over the Tanger outlet and look to your left?  :lol:

You don't need no stinkin' GPS.

2 hours ago, Mooneymite said:

Just build it as a user point.  Use the lat/long from Airnav.com.  However, you'll still get the terrain warning on short final.

Not that easy when low altitude, dealing with a class Charlie above, clouds and ERAU traffic, turbulence ....head should be outside instead of pushing buttons for a minute or two....If Garmin pilot like it then your Garmin navigator should like it too.....

53 minutes ago, Jim Peace said:

Not that easy when low altitude, dealing with a class Charlie above, clouds and ERAU traffic, turbulence ....head should be outside instead of pushing buttons for a minute or two....If Garmin pilot like it then your Garmin navigator should like it too.....

Yes, it should. But this is Garmin . . . It probably works with a new 15AMU GTN, just not with your paid-for GMS 430/530.

2 hours ago, Jim Peace said:

I think they meant to create and save it while on the ground.  Then you can just add it to your flight plan like any other waypoint.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/302087/Garmin-Gns-430.html?page=133

There are a  couple of differences.  An interesting one I came across about two years ago was about ILS OR LOC approaches.  In the Garmin database, they are listed separately. In the Jepp database (used by Garmin) only the ILS is available. Obviously, you can fly the LOC if you have the ILS in the Jepp, except for one thing - no LOC only step down fixes. It's mostly a training issue if you want to use the LOC for an nonprecision approach for a checkride or IPC. But it may also have significance when there's a NOTAM that "GS is OTS."

2 hours ago, mooniac15u said:

I think they meant to create and save it while on the ground.  Then you can just add it to your flight plan like any other waypoint.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/302087/Garmin-Gns-430.html?page=133

I save it then up load it....to my $$GTN650 via the $$FS510.......The first time I tried this on the ground I got the error message...I thought it was just because I had a Visual waypoint in there for a class C and I was going to fix it in the air....running behind.....so I get in the air take out the visual waypoint and find out it does not like private airports.....the Garmin pilot app likes them just not the $$ Garmin navigator....It would be nice if Garmin would be open to allowing anything that is in the Garmin app to be a waypoint on the GTN.....but they dont care to......

This happens with many waypoints......and you are not really sure what will work or not until you upload it....so some of the flight planning you do at home is worthless....

for those of you that fly out in the middle of nowhere it may be no big deal but with all the airspace in FL it really is a big deal when you cant get the navigator to go where you want to go when you want to go....and sun is setting, thunderstorms traffic etc etc......for the big money we pay for the latest and greatest it should JUST WORK.....

53 minutes ago, Jim Peace said:

I save it then up load it....to my $$GTN650 via the $$FS510.......The first time I tried this on the ground I got the error message...I thought it was just because I had a Visual waypoint in there for a class C and I was going to fix it in the air....running behind.....so I get in the air take out the visual waypoint and find out it does not like private airports.....the Garmin pilot app likes them just not the $$ Garmin navigator....It would be nice if Garmin would be open to allowing anything that is in the Garmin app to be a waypoint on the GTN.....but they dont care to......

This happens with many waypoints......and you are not really sure what will work or not until you upload it....so some of the flight planning you do at home is worthless....

for those of you that fly out in the middle of nowhere it may be no big deal but with all the airspace in FL it really is a big deal when you cant get the navigator to go where you want to go when you want to go....and sun is setting, thunderstorms traffic etc etc......for the big money we pay for the latest and greatest it should JUST WORK.....

On the 650 it's even easier.  Just go to the waypoint page and there's a "create WPT" button.  If the upload doesn't work just do it on the 650.

People who live in less crowded areas still fly in busy airspace.  That's one of the reasons we have Mooneys.  Oh, and the sun sets and we get weather here too. ;)

3 hours ago, mooniac15u said:

On the 650 it's even easier.  Just go to the waypoint page and there's a "create WPT" button.  If the upload doesn't work just do it on the 650.

People who live in less crowded areas still fly in busy airspace.  That's one of the reasons we have Mooneys.  Oh, and the sun sets and we get weather here too. ;)

Columbus is hardly "less busy"!! I used to live there--my 19-mile commute went from 23 minutes to over an hour in 4 years. Here, I live 8 miles from a town of almost 1000 souls and 12 miles from a town of under 5000. After changing jobs last summer, my 44 mile commute across three counties averages 52 minutes. About the only planes I see flying are the University's flight school into KAUO, and instrument students practicing around the TGE VOR. We ain't busy on the ground or in the air . . . . Port Columbus can't say that, even using it's new name.