Texas m20c

Mabin

How many do you plan on buying?

There May have been a multiple ship purchase discount available..?

Did you read up on any pre-purchase advice?

Skip that...

Let’s get to the next steps...

Did you get any Transition Training for that?

Welcome aboard!

The 65 M20C is one of the best planes ever built...  (I only had one)

Post a pic immediately... or the Mooniacs get crazed.... 

See if we know the bird...

Realistically 600 hours is not a lot... 6k hours would  be a usual amount... for that plane....

Is it a museum piece?

What you might be missing... is how to get a museum piece up and running properly...

What is your plans for the plane? Flying it may need some immediate updates... are you familiar with ADSB?

:)

Best regards,

-a-

On 9/15/2020 at 8:20 PM, carusoam said:

Skip that...

Welcome aboard!

Realistically 600 hours is not a lot... 6k hours would  be a usual amount... for that plane....

Is it a museum piece?

What you might be missing... is how to get a museum piece up and running properly...

What is your plans for the plane? Flying it may need some immediate updates... are you familiar with ADSB?

Best regards,

-a-

I'm worried about avionics all original seem to function. Would like advice on  some beginner avionics maybe some type of tablet set up

On 9/15/2020 at 8:20 PM, carusoam said:

Skip that...

Welcome aboard!

Is it a museum piece?

Best regards,

-a-

Mabs,

search on iPad mounts around here...  it is an annual thread that demonstrates how no two Mooniacs like the same thing when it comes portable electronics and their mounts... or how many iPads, phones, or Samsung devices they use...

Be on the look out for your favorite size screen, where and how to mount it, and what Nav software you prefer the most...

• Foreflight
  • Garmin
  • WingX
  • And a couple of free ones...

Look for a portable device to bring in WAAS ADSB to deliver weather and traffic to your new tablet...

As far as swapping out real nav equipment in the panel... we have a guy... that sells pre-flown nav/coms at great prices... Find Alan...

One of the most important safety devices to get... a CO monitor...  especially for an old new2you machine... There is a discount code for MSers around here... find Dan for that...

Also things to consider... getting an electric plug to keep your iDevice from running out of juice.... having a back-up iDevice if you are using it for charts and navigation...

I typically use an iPad, with an iPhone in my pocket... for charts...

Primary navigation has mostly gone panel mounted GPS...  WAAS if you are going to be training for the IR...

PP thoughts only, not a CFI... got any more questions..?

Best regards,

-a-

40 minutes ago, Yetti said:

Cheapest tablet route is Samsung android, Build a stratux, www.stratux.me, droidefb  or the free Avare.   If you need to do ADSB out, I may have a solution.

Yetti’s probably right for cheapest route.  Easiest route is probably an iPad, foreflight, and a stratus or sentry.  They both get you all your charts, approach plates, weight and balance, weather and planning.  Also weather and traffic adsb in during flight.  Foreflight is $125/year, sentry is about $400 one time purchase.  It all just works.

Bigger question, do you have ADSB out?

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Ragsf15e said:

Yetti’s probably right for cheapest route.  Easiest route is probably an iPad, foreflight, and a stratus or sentry.  They both get you all your charts, approach plates, weight and balance, weather and planning.  Also weather and traffic adsb in during flight.  Foreflight is $125/year, sentry is about $400 one time purchase.  It all just works.

All Samsung tablets have GPS, but only cellular ipads do, that's about $400 difference, minimum.

Samsungs accept memory cards (last I bought were two 64GB cards for $35, apple is at least $100 per step up their built-in/non-changeable memory ladder).

Foreflight is $125 per year, and only runs on apple; Avare is free and only runs on android; FlightPlanGo is free and runs on both. 

It's your call. I'd rather spend my AMUs on avgas and burgers . . . . 

• Like 1

PIX!!    Please :P

Is it airworthy?

Since yours is about 2600 TT, about 600 SMOH, and the avionics work, it sounds great so far.  The M20C is a fantastic aircraft!

BTW my '65 M20C sat on a ramp in Texas for 5 years before I bought it.

Don't be in a rush to buy avionics.  Plan carefully.  Decide whether you want a VFR or an IFR aircraft. Carusoam is right that everyone seems to have a different avionics preference, so check out the forum here on Mooneyspace regarding panels and avionics, look at the ads in Trade-a-Plane, and do your homework.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hank said:

All Samsung tablets have GPS, but only cellular ipads do, that's about $400 difference, minimum.

Samsungs accept memory cards (last I bought were two 64GB cards for $35, apple is at least $100 per step up their built-in/non-changeable memory ladder).

Foreflight is $125 per year, and only runs on apple; Avare is free and only runs on android; FlightPlanGo is free and runs on both. 

All you say is true. And I still like the iPad solution better.  Foreflight is more intuitive to me, has more functions, and better support.  My ipad and mini are 5 years old and work fine, so that’s sunk cost from a long time ago.  My phone is my third backup and runs foreflight seamlessly, even syncing between devices.  I did try the free solutions.  Just didn’t like them.  To each their own.

• Like 1

That’s not even 1 AMU, spreading iPad cost over a life expectancy of 5 years about $225/year. Not everything is about money.
If you really want to save big money...sell the Mooney.
  • Like 4

On 9/19/2020 at 11:09 PM, Ragsf15e said:

+1. Ipad mini 5 is the ideal current platform for the Mooney yoke.  

Get ADSB out asap if you don't have it (tailbeacon seems the simplest route for many) so you have mobility and a reliable traffic display.

3 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

That’s not even 1 AMU, spreading iPad cost over a life expectancy of 5 years about $225/year. Not everything is about money.
If you really want to save big money...sell the Mooney.

$225 x 5 = $1125, greater than 1 AMU. In fact, it's 1 and 1/8 AMU. Thanks for providing the total cost.

I prefer to not operate within apple's narrow confines. There's 1000 ways to do any task on a phone or tablet--apple's way and 999 wrong ways. No thank you. And at a higher price, too?? YGBSM! No apple for me. I've had 3 of 'em provided by work, and I had an ipad mini retina. Not again.

But enjoy your kool aid. I also try to minimize fuel purchases from FBOs that charge $6-$7/gallon. At my home field, it's $3.50. In addition to double the price, they typically add a "flowage fee" per gallon, then tax on top of everything, because the insanely high price per gallon isn't all you pay for their fuel. Does that make me cheap? I don't care. I also don't pay $1 gallon more for my car when it's less right over there.

But go ahead, spend your money however you want. That's what I do. And I don't care what you think about it.

3 hours ago, Bob E said:

Hank --

"I don't care."

Pretty much sums up your attitude.  Wow. 

Why bother to post at all?  Just to vent your anger at Apple, FBOs, and ArtVandelay?

The OP asked for options. "Not apple" is a valid and valuable option, and ForeFlight is not the only EFB worth looking at. What I don't care about is Art's disparaging comments toward those options and myself for recommending them.

When and not if, you decide to reduce drag and increase efficiency, I suggest modifications in this order: cowl closure fairing, flap gap and aileron gap seals, and the three tail mods - dorsal fin, tail root, and rudder/elevator hinge covers. In my experience these are easy to install and are cumulatively  worth 8-9 knots cruise and 200-300 fpm in rate of climb. The 201 windshield improves visibility and reduces cabin noise, but I could not tell that I got much speed increase. The fiberglass belly pan improves access and makes maintenance easier, but it did not do much to increase the speed.

• Like 1