How to fix broken baggage door link

Is this weldable? Or, is there a way to buy a replacement?  1965 M20C Ranger 180HP. 

C28B840B-6F0B-4A1A-BFB4-8B425C5D7774.heic 403AFAA2-1A1B-4DE4-A4FD-72845FAF63AF.heic 02352140-E4FC-4E9C-9DFC-55E51E0A0A43.heic

• 5 weeks later...

This was the first part that we broke after obtaining our Mooney.  The original had been welded numerous times and was waiting to break.  Getting one from a service center cost ~$100.  I've seen much better deals on Mooneyspace since then, salvage might be a good option if it is in good condition.

As long as we're reaching out to Jonny, my Mooney has these things on the door and baggage door. New ones would sure be nice!

20200613_114031.thumb.jpg.c6cddebcb66664fa549a25a446fd1726.jpg

20200613_114025.thumb.jpg.140aea4fd736b99d6824572fd81f5540.jpg

Both have been bent and "straightened" multiple times, somehow without losing the little bearings in the middle. I use Tri-Flow often, but they are operationally challenged and need to be replaced by new parts . . . .

• Like 2

Jonny,

While you are here...

The latest video on youtube...

Somebody wants the Acclaim Ultra to be #2 most efficient airplane...

He might have some of his facts mixed up...

The Panthera May be nice, after it becomes available in a factory built model...  :)

Overall this video is painfully slow... skip 3/4 of the way to the end for it to become remotely interesting...

Best regards,

-a-

I mangled my baggage door link at Kitty Hawk last month. 

Technically, my wife did it but at my direction, so I claim credit for the kill. It bent over so the door wouldn’t open or close, and collapsed on itself covering the screw head I needed access to for removing the thing. Nothing like standing at the birthplace of aviation, with a giant rain cloud about to bust open, and me wrestling the thing loose with a pair of vise grips and a screwdriver. And of course, folks were hanging on the fence to see the flurry of activity on the ramp! 

Aircraft ownership is so glamorous. 

If the other sources don’t work out, you might also try Alan Fox. 

I thought mine was a lost cause but an afternoon with a hammer, an anvil, and a hydraulic press rescued my support and it lives to fly another day. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, carusoam said:

Jonny,

While you are here...

The latest video on youtube...

Somebody wants the Acclaim Ultra to be #2 most efficient airplane...

He might have some of his facts mixed up...

The Panthera May be nice, after it becomes available in a factory built model...  :)

Overall this video is painfully slow... skip 3/4 of the way to the end for it to become remotely interesting...

Best regards,

-a-

Thanks for sharing this video. I've spoken to the CEO of Pipistrell and I plan to fly the Panthera. They've done a remarkable job with this plane, but until you actually fly a plane, you just don't know it it lives up to the hype. What I know about the Mooney is that its efficiency comes in a solid frame that has a slow roll rate making it really stable platform for IFR . All I can say is that we are looking at all these models and evaluating.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

A bit of 

3 hours ago, Jonny said:

Thanks for sharing this video. I've spoken to the CEO of Pipistrell and I plan to fly the Panthera. They've done a remarkable job with this plane, but until you actually fly a plane, you just don't know it it lives up to the hype. What I know about the Mooney is that its efficiency comes in a solid frame that has a slow roll rate making it really stable platform for IFR . All I can say is that we are looking at all these models and evaluating.

A bit of thread creep but I have a hard time taking the Panthera seriously.  It basically has no baggage capacity.  It doesn't seem to hold much fuel.  And if the gear and flap extension speeds are the same for a certified version, its going to need really big speed brakes.  Like big ones.

@Matt Lindeman I don’t think I have any material left (I’ve made several) but will ck tomorrow when I’m at the hangar. Your C shows up as a 64, I don’t have a parts manual for yours, the ones I’ve made are p# 913020-2 which are early 65 models. Will send you a PM tomorrow and let you know one way or the other

1 hour ago, RLCarter said:

@Matt Lindeman I don’t think I have any material left (I’ve made several) but will ck tomorrow when I’m at the hangar. Your C shows up as a 64, I don’t have a parts manual for yours, the ones I’ve made are p# 913020-2 which are early 65 models. Will send you a PM tomorrow and let you know one way or the other

From the 64 IPC, item #17. The part number is different.

Clarence 

C76D8D10-D3B9-401A-815C-773FA88E9C4D.jpeg

In the back of the parts manual is a cross reference from old to new part nubmers.  The new part number for the short-style arm is 913020-2.  I’ve found the part number search on controller.com to be useful.  Use the ‘starts with’ option because there are variations in databases, but it appears there might be a couple available in salvage yards.  I’d check with Paul Loewen, too.

image.png

• Like 2