KI 204 hooked to an GNS430W - possible?

NicoN

We can buy a used GNS430W as a supplement/replacement for our KX155. The KX155 has  a KI204 connected and can drive our venerable Century 21/STEC 60PSS

We already have a GNS430W together with GI106 working fine as GPSNAVCOM #1.

For now, the KI204 should stay and should be connected to the 2nd GSN430W. Later on we want to upgrade more but not for now

I got varying information from different sources whether this works or not.

1. We received a proposal that says, the KI204 is NOT compatible with the GNS430W; therefore they want us to sell a GI106 or G5

2. According to the installation manual for GNS430W, a KI204 is among the CDI models which can be connected (p.199)

3. I found an opionion that a KI204 can be connected, but it will display only the VLOC and GS ( also flags); as long as you switch your GNS to GPS it will show only flags, needles centered and useless

3a. some rumours say that the CDi is not only a stupid voltmeter where a voltage pulls the needle a bit to the left or right and some other signals remove the flags or show to/FROM

4. another opinion I found, says that the KI204 is compatible and will also show a valid GPS CDI. but you need external signal lamps telling you if the KI204 is currently running on VLOC or GPS

Has someone real life experience?

Thank you

12 hours ago, NicoN said:

We can buy a used GNS430W as a supplement/replacement for our KX155. The KX155 has  a KI204 connected and can drive our venerable Century 21/STEC 60PSS

We already have a GNS430W together with GI106 working fine as GPSNAVCOM #1.

For now, the KI204 should stay and should be connected to the 2nd GSN430W. Later on we want to upgrade more but not for now

I got varying information from different sources whether this works or not.

1. We received a proposal that says, the KI204 is NOT compatible with the GNS430W; therefore they want us to sell a GI106 or G5

2. According to the installation manual for GNS430W, a KI204 is among the CDI models which can be connected (p.199)

3. I found an opionion that a KI204 can be connected, but it will display only the VLOC and GS ( also flags); as long as you switch your GNS to GPS it will show only flags, needles centered and useless

3a. some rumours say that the CDi is not only a stupid voltmeter where a voltage pulls the needle a bit to the left or right and some other signals remove the flags or show to/FROM

4. another opinion I found, says that the KI204 is compatible and will also show a valid GPS CDI. but you need external signal lamps telling you if the KI204 is currently running on VLOC or GPS

Has someone real life experience?

Thank you

It is possible.  It has the VOR Composite for the VLOC and the separate inputs for the GS.  If it is staying for the #2, go for it.  Not a big deal at all.

• Thanks 1