Sobering view of the Pacific Northwest

freilichr

47 minutes ago, Hank said:

We're trying hard to send a hurricane up from the Gulf Coast and push all that out to sea!

I spent last week in Biloxi and along the Gulf Coast, beautiful area, I picked a good week, praying they will come out of the storm Sally with minimal damage, looking at current predictions it looks bad. The gulf coast is taking a beating lately 

9 minutes ago, Danb said:

I spent last week in Biloxi and along the Gulf Coast, beautiful area, I picked a good week, praying they will come out of the storm Sally with minimal damage, looking at current predictions it looks bad. The gulf coast is taking a beating lately 

Plenty of rain to share! We're expecting 3-6" a Mooney hour-and-a-half away. Hope winds aren't too bad and the rain moves NW quickly. 

4 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

When I see the weather you guys down south endure, it makes a few months of snow and shovelling more acceptable.

Clarence

We’ve considered retirement part time East of Windsor in wine country. Pretty area. Easy to go between the states and Ca. via Erie, the falls or even Detroit. The exchange rate is desirable. Problem is we don’t know anyone or have family in the area.

40 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

And all of those fires are a result of poor forest management? Seems to me that with nearly 60% of California's forest owned by the federal government that the US Forest Service should do a better job.

There is definitely a big problem.  That part at least is clear to me, and blaming the state California is too convenient and too narrow to identify the scope of the problem which is spanning a large fraction of the American West and across lands that are under local, state and federal jurisdictions.  Forest management is likely part of the problem but I strongly doubt it is the entire cause of the problem.  This isn't a one off, one time thing either - it is starting to become an every year problem, and every year worse.

9 minutes ago, steingar said:

Ain't no hoax son, though I wish it was.  Doesn't matter whether or not you believe in it.  It's here, and it isn't going away.

Hoax or not - Mother Earth doesn't care what we think.

Interestingly in the news yesterday a big piece of ice is melting.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2020/09/14/glaciers-breaking-antarctica-pine-island-thwaites/

Actually in this era of headline weary saturation, I really enjoyed a brief moment yesterday when the top two leading stories in the newspapers were not politics or mean things people said about each other, but they were science stories.  One about ice in Antarctica, and one about an interesting chemical sited in the clouds of Venus that is enticingly suggestive of some kind of life.  Believe those stories or not, I found it very refreshing that those ideas made the top stories.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Hoax or not - Mother Earth doesn't care what we think.

Interestingly in the news yesterday a big piece of ice is melting.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2020/09/14/glaciers-breaking-antarctica-pine-island-thwaites/

Actually in this era of headline weary saturation, I really enjoyed a brief moment yesterday when the top two leading stories in the newspapers were not politics or mean things people said about each other, but they were science stories.  One about ice in Antarctica, and one about an interesting chemical sited in the clouds of Venus that is enticingly suggestive of some kind of life.  Believe those stories or not, I found it very refreshing that those ideas made the top stories.

Fake news from the Jeff Bezos Amazon Post.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

Fake news from the Jeff Bezos Amazon Post.

Its just a "retweet" on "Fake news from the Jeff Bezos Amazon Post" but the real fake news originated from the fake  Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.  https://www.pnas.org/cgi/doi/10.1073/pnas.1912890117

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Its just a "retweet" on "Fake news from the Jeff Bezos Amazon Post" but the real fake news originated from the fake  Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.  https://www.pnas.org/cgi/doi/10.1073/pnas.1912890117

So what does the National Academy of Science have to say about operating our Lycoming and Continental engines? I get enough fake news fron the actual news reporters, I don't need it here.

And lord knows, the fires out west are all the fault of climate change, and have nothing to do with generations of mismanagement that has allowed fuel to pile up in the forests without either small fires clearing it out, or man clearing it out. So now when a small fire starts, ayhe 30 years' of built up fuel spreads it rapidly, because you know, it's climate change.

But I'm sorry to say for my Pac NW friends, that it looks like our little hurricane ain't going your way this time. It's supposed to make a right hook and end up here in a couple of days, although the flash flood warnings are changing to lighter winds and less rain.

The low overcast is steadily scudding off to the NW, but winds in the ground are still pretty light. They are forecast to rise into the high teens and low 20s tomorrow, a benefit of being a Mooney hour from the coast. Thoughts and prayers to those in the way!