201 MSE Panel Update

Derek

Going in for annual next month and trying to schedule some panel work now that I've been in the aircraft for about a year.

I'm really curious about where to put the EDM 900 I want to upgrade to.

I'm trying to figure out where to place it and it seems like it would fit on the primary pilot panel in vertical orientation below the gear switch.

Based on the dimensions I've read, and the few pics of seen, it looks feasible and would keep it in the 21 from pilot inch requirement. (but does it actually fit there?)

I couldn't find much on the search, but lot looks to have been done successfully here: 

Currently have a KLN94, KX 155/165, KMA 24 setup with the standard 6 pack STEC50, stormscope, NGT9000, and a GEM.

Going to: IFD540, PMA450b, EDM 900.

Attached are before and my made-up "after" picture I made using the GNU Image Manipulation Program. The measurements/placement of new components in my image are not scientific (no rulers were harmed in the making of this image) and i'm estimating the fit and size using my eyeball and the dimensions from the product pages of each component.

(I also *really* want the xponder in the center stack, reaching behind the co-pilot yoke to manipulate a touch screen is the worst.)

I'd appreciate thoughts on if this layout is reasonable (feasible).. Or even pictures of your own panels with any of these components (or if you just want to show off your panel, that's cool too!)

I'm also not really sure what to do with the Stormscope. I put it over on the right because i wasn't sure what else to do with it... I definitely don't want to lose actual real-world live weather data, but i'm not sure if keeping it is worth the cost associated with moving it when I could add one of the behind the panel units that will display on the IFD54. I don't know the real-world cost of a WX-500 installation, but i imagine the 7 AMU purchase price of the wx500 is more than the cost of relocating the stormscope i have now....). Penny for your thoughts?

Panel Before.JPG

Panel Design 1.jpg

• Like 1

Derek,

Looks like you nailed...

Best to be in front of you where you show it...

Otherwise, it is in front of your sic and a warning light in front of pic...

Do your planning with extra feet of wire.... to allow for flexibility, if you want to move it later...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

29 minutes ago, rbridges said:

Personally, I would get rid of the DME, too

Someone else also suggested that because one day it will die. I was somewhat hesitant at the thought of removing it.

35 minutes ago, rbridges said:

blind mount the STEC turn coordinator

I'd have to display it on something...

55 minutes ago, rbridges said:

I don't believe so but I may be wrong. The cirrus have them hidden, and I thought my avionics guy said he could hide mine somewhere. 

With an aspen pro you can remove the TC.  For the standard 6 pack it needs to remain. Cirrus, Cessna, and Mooney used the blind mount for the stec 55 in the newer PFD planes. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rbridges said:

I don't believe so but I may be wrong. The cirrus have them hidden, and I thought my avionics guy said he could hide mine somewhere. 

29 minutes ago, mike261 said:

actually that is yours...its a pic of 46X

Not mine. N2146X. I have a gtn750  but it is the same location. 

Just now, mike261 said:

sure is...

I put the monitor in before the gtn. Hows it going Matt?

Oh. Ok. Everything is going good. Just having bad weather down here on the coast but hopefully it will clear up in the next few days so I can fly. Hope all is good with you all

Just now, MATTS875 said:

Oh. Ok. Everything is going good. Just having bad weather down here on the coast but hopefully it will clear up in the next few days so I can fly. Hope all is good with you all   Congratulations on your new Mooney  looks great