So few Mites?

Sblack

On 9/13/2020 at 8:44 PM, Sblack said:

I went on the faa civil registry and searched for mooney mite and mooney m18 and m18c. I found less than 10 registrations. Is this real? I thought there were way more than that. Are there hundreds sitting in garages waiting to be rebuilt? 

I think your search was flawed.  I checked and found just under 100 registered in the US and 4 in Canada.

Clarence

• 2 weeks later...

There are at least three Mooney Mites disassembled that I am aware of in Alberta (I see you are in Canada). Many rebuild projects and unfinished projects out there for those who are capable and willing to endure the process. It was reported several years ago that around 60 M18's were airworthy and  around 30 or so were being flown regularly in North America. I suspect many Mites on the register are no longer airworthy and may be available for purchase. Keep looking. Great aircraft that brings back the joy of flying!

Kevin Harberg

PS. @Sblack - Your register search may not have included the early M-18L Model (Lycoming powered - 780lbs Gross Wt) or the M-18LA (Lycoming powered - 850lbs Gross Wt).

Edited by Kevin Harberg
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Well, the newest Mite would be 67 years old, and the oldest is 74. They were an exercise in wood and fabric construction frugality, so longevity was not a design feature.

You'd expect that some would be crashed, some would scrapped, and most of the rest would be parked by now due to rot, or due to having Ter Mites. :lol: 

There are plenty of other options for newer or brand new planes that exceed the Mite's capabilities. For about the same cost as rebuilding a 74 year old plane.

Edited by philiplane

Dave Rutherford had a complete listing of every Mite built, its N#, owner, location and status on his web site Mooneymite.com.

Many of us ordered the final download of that web site before shut down about 3 years ago.  I'm not sure where my memory stick with all that info is, but if you are interested I will take up a search in my hangar for that data.  Obviously, it was only current 3 years ago.

On 7/16/2021 at 5:45 PM, Mooneymite said:

Dave Rutherford had a complete listing of every Mite built, its N#, owner, location and status on his web site Mooneymite.com.

Many of us ordered the final download of that web site before shut down about 3 years ago.  I'm not sure where my memory stick with all that info is, but if you are interested I will take up a search in my hangar for that data.  Obviously, it was only current 3 years ago.

It’s up and going again, but with little activity.

https://mooneymite.org

Clarence

16 hours ago, M20Doc said:

It’s up and going again, but with little activity.

https://mooneymite.org

Clarence

Thanks.  I did not realize it had been resurrected.  For sure, the original web site was a real help during the time I owned my Mite.

The opening page displays two really nice Mites.

Edited by Mooneymite