Emergency gear handle actuated, won’t reset?

Ak47

I have a nice 96 bravo, today departing Madison gear didn’t retract.  After some WTFing noticed the emergency extension handle was up.  Soooo easy, reset it, and still gear motor starts, CB pops, no retract.  Seems to me likely that putting handle back in its home didn’t disengage system.  Is this a try again situation or is there a history of this?  Don’t want to troubleshoot a gear too much

thanks,

Welcome aboard AK...

This is best discussed sitting down...

You’re safely on the ground right?

And your favorite handguns/AKs are Safely stowed...

Are you familiar with dissimilar metals wearing against each other?

Lets talk about the brass gear that was altered by the other gears when they failed to mesh... A typical challenge when the E-gear isn’t locked out properly...

In this case, better to be on the ground with the gear extended...

Time to have that brass gear inspected.

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic... there are pics around here somewhere if you want them...

Best regards,

-a-

Keep in mind I am only supplying info that I have read around here... I can be completely wrong at any moment...

Good luck, it might only need somebody with a file and good mechanical skills...

You saved the big bucks already... no GU landing!

See if Andrew has anything to add... @Hyett6420

This should be on a list for Jonnie to consider... under dumb things that can happen to unwitting passengers, not in the know...

Best regards,

-a-

There is always room for one more on MS... :)

See if you can add some details to your avatar area...

Things like location and current plane are often useful for discussions...

Hard to tell where to put this data sometimes, based on the various pieces of hardware (Phones and ipads) used to read MS...

What were the three Mooneys you have/had, when did you get your first one?

All the important stuff, to get to know something about you...

Best regards,

-a-

I've seen them jam, from doing that. You won't know for sure till you drop the belly pan and work the manual retraction cable and lever - it might need a little adjusting. But unless you reset and popped the actuator CB more  than twice I really doubt it got chewed up. Plus that won't stop the gear from electrically moving the gear anyway- just prevent it from being manually extended; which is why I suspect its just jammed and still engaged.

15 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

You called oh master?

So the article you are looking for is here  https://mooneyspace.com/topic/10747-no-back-spring-in-landing-gear-actuators/page/7/  In it is shows the brass "widget" that the emergency gear lever fits into.  If this gear lever is not completely retracted then as you operate the gear normally (via electrics) then it rubs on the £800 widget and wears it away.  photo 5 on my post shows the clutch assembly which is the key component to this item if not disengaged correctly.  I can see how this would give the symptoms you are experiencing.  ie emegerncy is still in place jamming the motor because the ratchet assembly for the emergency gear is stopping it rotating.  

Take belly pan off, and have a look.  its a simple job to do.  (well removing the pan anyway.)  Removing the acutator is also simple as is taking it apart.  but if it is what I think it is then it does not need taking apart just the clutch checked for damage.  

Enjoy 

Andrew

You are the best, Andrew!

AK will be fully prepared for the mystery hiding behind the panel...

Hopefully, an easy fix is waiting for him...

Thanks for digging up the details!

Best regards,

-a-

Ok update. What i feared didn’t happen.  Mad thanks to everyone.  I opened the belly up and while everything looked fine, the manual engage didn’t disengage.  For some reason the wire was in such a way that it couldn’t pull it the last bajillionth of an inch.  Freed it from it’s issue, and worked like a charm.  Might need a readjustment at annual but was working flawlessly since.  Was a gremlin.

thanks again everyone.  Now my wife won’t have to skip dinner!

• Like 1

Ok update. What i feared didn’t happen.  Mad thanks to everyone.  I opened the belly up and while everything looked fine, the manual engage didn’t disengage.  For some reason the wire was in such a way that it couldn’t pull it the last bajillionth of an inch.  Freed it from it’s issue, and worked like a charm.  Might need a readjustment at annual but was working flawlessly since.  Was a gremlin.
thanks again everyone.  Now my wife won’t have to skip dinner!

Thanks for the update - thought that’s what it would be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk