P-51 Overlay with long body please

Seth

Here is the P-51 and M20 C/D/E overlay picture.

Can someone do the same with a M20M/R or M20U/V?

That way the snout and tail will be in better proportion. The factory should have run this as an add years ago.

Once don’t I’d love the file so I can print a high quality image of it for display somewhere.

-SethA6267C52-AA33-4BE8-A430-86F2C91B559E.jpeg.28ea326e92cad6c85e48e68ab0fd6dd3.jpeg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Schllc said:

Amazing, 15% difference in size but four times gross weight. And 5x hp
I flew one of these and without weapons armor and drop tanks the climb rate is 7k minute!!

To heck with a turbine put a RR on a Mooney!!!

there was nearly an RR option for the Mooney....  it was in development around 2007.

It looked really good for about a year.... just out of phase with the economy at the time...

That was an RR turbine...  :)

Best regards,

-a-

1 minute ago, carusoam said:

there was nearly an RR option for the Mooney....  it was in development around 2007.

It looked really good for about a year.... just out of phase with the economy at the time...

That was an RR turbine...  :)

Best regards,

-a-

Right - I remember that. It was a special slightly smaller RR turbine engine that I don't think it ended up completing toward certification either since there were no airframes promising to use it in the end.

5 hours ago, bfreelove said:

2083610207_ScreenShot2020-09-13at20_53_58.thumb.png.7224d58a999be206e7bed92d47198bcc.png

That looks amazing. The Mooney wing is 36 feet 6 inches and the P-51 37 feet. Tbe P-51 is longer by a few feet and the long body just overlays in the pic a bit better.

Thank you!

Question, this looks like P-51H wing and not a P-51D wing, can you overlay on a P-51D?

Thanks!

-Seth 

16 hours ago, M20Doc said:

I’m sure that the only connection between a Mooney and a Mustang is the aluminum.  A Navion has a stronger connection.

Clarence

Clarence-

actually the leading edge was made by the press purchased from North American. The P-51B/Press for the leading edge was in the factory back in the 1980’s as per Bob Kromer. The wing if you look is a slightly scaled down P-51 shape and the leading edge was the P-51 leading edge. 

We learned about this during a Mooney Summit session 4-5 years ago.

This is why for years I felt Mooney could have somehow capitalized on that.

-Seth

An interesting bit of history for sure.  I’ll share mine.  I bought a rivet squeezer when building my RV4, alleged to have been used by Goodyear during WW2.  So my RV4 is really a Corsair!

Clarence