Another candidate bird, same question: What´s your opinion w.r.t. corrosion?

Martin S.

Dear everybody,

my search for a Mooney brought me to a new candidate, 1978 M20j. Last owner for 35 years, Always hangered, 1300h, prestine wheel wells, only VFR, tube structure re-painted, fair price. So far so good. My questions:

Inspecting the bird on the main spar below the rear seat, I found these white powdery spots. I'm a little hesitant. Is this something common, that I could easily clean/avoid from getting any worse - or a walkawayer?

Thanks for your advises.

Martin from Munich, Germany

IMG_6863.JPG

IMG_6864.JPG

Edited by Martin Stolle

• Martin S. changed the title to Another candidate bird, same question: What´s your opinion w.r.t. corrosion?

As others have said, if it's just a surface issue it's not a big deal, and it may not even be corrosion.  Also, that's not in one of the areas that's more of a concern, which is not to downplay it, just that it isn't the intergranular or exfoliating corrosion that is much more difficult to deal with.

Definitely get somebody knowledgeable to put actual eyes on it if it is still a question.

Pretty good pics, Martin...

So....

Corrosion is one of those things that needs to be taken care of quickly...

As it can spread quickly once it has started...

The different types of corrosion have different types of seriousness involved...

In the case of surface corrosion, it can be a simple clean and paint....

When it is part of a structural device, it gets more serious...  clean and measure the depth of the corrosion...

Since this plane belongs to somebody else... don’t accidentally buy it, hoping the issues are easy to solve...

Hope and wishful thinking make a terrible flight plan...

Find somebody familiar with aluminum corrosion... if the corrosion is more than skin deep...

Many planes have corrosion issues... this is not particularly a Mooney issue...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

On 9/17/2020 at 3:36 AM, PT20J said:

Have a knowledgeable mechanic look at it. Do you really want to make a decision about a significant expenditure based on social media evaluations? Heck, we might all be Russian trolls :)

Had a mechanic look at it. But believe it or not - There far less ga-specific knowledge in Europe than in the US. That‘s why I appreciate comments from here. Imagine you feel like buying this super rare Porsche model and you live somewhere remotely in Idaho - thats how it is. Your right - I won‘t base decisions on these only ;)

Greets,

Martin

Edited by Martin Stolle
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Hi Martin

It doesn't look too bad, BUT it does need to get looked at.  If that is the only issue you have found on your walk around perhaps its time to get a Mooney knowledgeable mechanic look at it and do a PPI.  Yes it will cost you a little money, but save you a fortune in the long run.  

Your comments about GA mechanics in Europe is sort of true but there are a few who know their widgets form their wodgets.  Where is the plane you are looking at, I assume close by.

I use Aeroskill Mastenbroek for all my Mooney stuff, and they are very good and knowledgeable.  They call a spade a spade and wont sign something off unless they are happy with it, even if you are, in that respect they are very Germanic and Dutch!  Give them a call, send them the pictures and see what they say.  If its nothing to worry about and you are happy with the rest, get them to do a Pre Purchase Inspection. 

Andrew,

to answer the question - the plane is in Bavaria. Current owner is a retired - A&P. Fun fact, his shop was a MSC. Unfortunately, he didn´t accept to bring the bird elsewhere for a pre-buy, but offered me to use his tools and bring another guy to have a look. Had that guy come to have a look. Lifted the rear bench and checked for corrosion at the spar splice. Plus I browsed my cam to check the tubes. See pics. Thats what I did. Thought that would be quite some data already for judging the freshness of the plane.

Greets,

Martin

IMG_6868.JPG

IMG_6860.jpg

IMG_6869.JPG

Edited by Martin Stolle